• ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Hey guys,

Starting a 300blk pistol build with 8.5” barrel. Got most of the stuff ordered at this point. Looking at suppressors for it now.

Looks like a lot of recommendations for the Omega can. I know the SilencerCo deal going on right now seems pretty lucrative.

I don’t want to make my decision based solely on a deal though.

So firstly, talk me into or out of the Omega.

Secondly, if going with the Omega, I may as well utilize their freebie and get an Octane. Having said that, I don’t really have a suppressor host pistol or carbine for the octane. I’m not opposed to getting something for it or buying a couple threaded barrels for Guns I have, but I would definitely be “buying” a suppressor with no planned use.
    The only other can I’ve really considered is something for my .223, but that’s not really an option unless I bought one for the .223 and then could use the octane for the 300 build. I believe from what I’ve read that it’s just rated for subs though.
    Will most shoot mostly subs, but would definitely like the option to shoot supers.

Thanks all!

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Yeah, I guess that’s true. Just figured it wouldn’t necessarily be ideal with the larger hole. Didn’t really think about that though. Thanks.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Lots of people run 30 cal cans on 5.56 rifles. Not as quiet, but you would be surprised how effective it is. The .223 end cap helps a little, but not much. Plus then you have to remember to switch them out before going back to 300blk.

My my only hesitation about the octane is it is older pistol can technology. Unless you are shooting unjacketed reloads, a fully welded can like the omega 9k or a one piece baffle like the liberty centurion allow for a can that is just as effective at sound reduction, with a little smaller footprint and lighter weight. That being said, the octane is still a great can, and you can’t beat free (well... $200)

If if I was in the position to buy a can right now, it would be hard to pass up this deal.

Edit, Another option is to pick up an Omega 9k, silencershop has them for $700. You would qualify for a free .22 can. The 9k is rated for subs and supers. Don’t know of barrel length restrictions off the top of my head. Obviously it won’t be as quiet.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Masterdekoy,
    thanks for the input on the octane. That was kind of my thought that it may not be what I would pick necessarily, but for just the tax stamp, it seems like a solid deal since I’m in the market anyway for the Omega.
    I thought about that way too, but I actually have a .22 can in jail right now so I don’t know that I need another right now.

My orher thought is i bornally shoot 9mm, but I do shoot some 45, so maybe I should consider getting the octane 45 to cover both calibers? Thoughts?

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I just did the Silencerco deal you're considering a week or so ago (Omega with Octane 45K). I have an Octane 45 now and it's plenty quiet on my 9mm glocks and 9mm pistol caliber carbines. I don't own anything in .45, but got the Octane 45 originally several years ago "just in case". I went with the 45k for my "free" can just because it's a little shorter and lighter. As for the Omega on your .300 gun, it should work fine. I have a Griffin Recce 7 which is 30 cal and it's stupid quiet on my 8" .300 blackout pistol. It does OK on my .556 guns as well and I'm sure a dedicated .556 can might do better, but I can't complain about the Griffin .30 cal can.

Here's a video of the Octane 45 on my Definitive Arms AKX-9 SBR. Most of the sound is from the rounds hitting the steel and the action of the rifle.
    [video=youtube;P-WFbWRdpkM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-WFbWRdpkM[/video]

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Just my opinion, unless you plan to buy a 45 can soon, or if you only own 9mm, I would get a 45k. But I value lighter weight and shorter length a little more than decibels. Really depends on what you want in a can. There’s a noticeable difference shooting a 9mm through a 45 can compared to one designed for 9mm. It’s not horrendous though.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Is the 9mm through the 45 still hearing safe?

9mm subs are very low pressure, they're absolutely hearing safe on a .45 can, plus you can change end caps out too if you wish.

Well already had my eye on 2-3 more Silencerco cans, looks like I'll pick them up sooner than anticipated and decide which free ones to get. Throwing the Octane 45k on the MPX SBR will definitely shorten it down over the AAC Eco-9 that's on it now and you can always use a 4th or 5th .22 can :)

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Just my opinion, unless you plan to buy a 45 can soon, or if you only own 9mm, I would get a 45k. But I value lighter weight and shorter length a little more than decibels. Really depends on what you want in a can. There’s a noticeable difference shooting a 9mm through a 45 can compared to one designed for 9mm. It’s not horrendous though.

There's generally only about 2-3 db difference shooting 9 thru a 45 can as opposed to a dedicated 9mm can. 99% of people can't tell the difference in 2 db. 45 cans may have a larger opening on the endcap but they're also longer and have 2 extra baffles thus having more internal volume which helps offset the differences. If you're a person that shoots both 9 and 45 then I personally would never recommend a dedicated 9mm can as a first. I'd do a 45 can first then maybe a 9 down the road

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    FYI...if you want a can that isn’t $800 call silencerco they will up the price on the invoice and make you eligible for the centerfire second can. Yea you pay an extra $100, but you are getting a second one for free or so...

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    FYI...if you want a can that isn’t $800 call silencerco they will up the price on the invoice and make you eligible for the centerfire second can. Yea you pay an extra $100, but you are getting a second one for free or so...

Why wouldn't a dealer just "overcharge" you for the can and throw you some mounts/extras to offset the cost of the can?

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Because the silencer needs to be in stock, and you have to have the receipt and serial number by the 15th. Some may be forced to purchase online, not to miss out.

Top Bottom