• ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Hey guys,
    Purchased a dead air mask .22 suppressor a couple months ago, and I finally got a chance to go try it out at the range today (just a visit; obviously had to leave it there). It threaded right onto my Ruger Mk IV pistol and I shot it for awhile with no issues.

Then I unscrewed the can, and went to screw it onto my 10/22 takedown. It would start to thread a couple revolutions, but then would get super tight (like so tight we had to get a strap wrench to get it off). I’m pretty handy normally, so I definitely don’t believe it was any type of cross threading as it still threaded right back onto my Mk IV easily, and I made sure the thread protector from my Mk IV and the one from the 10/22 both threaded on and off the 10/22 easily so obviously they are the correct pitch, and the threads don’t appear buggered.

Any ideas? Since I couldn’t bring it home, I wasn’t able to mess with it too long, unfortunately.

edited to add: solution found and problem fixed; see post #17

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'd like to help, but sounds like you checked what I checked.
    So, I'm gonna be here just to see what someone says.

It threaded on the MK IV okay, even after the failed attempt on the 10/22.
    But the thread protectors both thread on the 10/22.

Got me stumped. Sorry

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Agreed. The only thing I can think is that it’s some type of tolerance issue where the thread protectors have some slip built into them, but the suppressor doesn’t. That’s the only thing I could think.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    If the can threads on anoth gun with ease, the other gun barrel is at fault......ok here is an old time machinist fix for tight threads.....get your self a nut or two with the same tread pitch as the barrel.....screw it in till it stops....now give the nut a tight square blow with a hammer.....turn the nut on far the repete as needed.....this will loosen up the treads.....this does work, but use at your own risk

Better question.....see if the thread protector fits the other gun that the can does thread on to, if the thread acts like the can did......you have metric threads on one of the guns....and then you can buy a metric nut at the hardware store to confirm this.

If your close to Ft. Wayne, pm me and I will have you over and I will Mic the threads over wires and we can determine thread size and pitch

Aaron

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    They're both 1/2x28 threads, just sounds one is either tighter, looser (to the x28) than the other, or the threads are different shape or height

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    If the can threads on anoth gun with ease, the other gun barrel is at fault......ok here is an old time machinist fix for tight threads.....get your self a nut or two with the same tread pitch as the barrel.....screw it in till it stops....now give the nut a tight square blow with a hammer.....turn the nut on far the repete as needed.....this will loosen up the treads.....this does work, but use at your own risk

Better question.....see if the thread protector fits the other gun that the can does thread on to, if the thread acts like the can did......you have metric threads on one of the guns....and then you can buy a metric nut at the hardware store to confirm this.

If your close to Ft. Wayne, pm me and I will have you over and I will Mic the threads over wires and we can determine thread size and pitch

Aaron

Thats what is so confusing though. The thread protector from both guns thread on to the 10/22 just fine.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I guess I need to either bring another gun up there to see if it fits just fine on that gun to ensure that it’s the 10/22 or have them try it on another gun. I mean I’m sure that’s the problem, but the threads look good which throws me off. This is driving me crazy.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Go get a 1/2-28 nut and see if it threads on the muzzle....the thread protector might be threaded really loose to ensure it fits......might wanna get a 1/2-28 bolt and check the thread fitment on the can.......

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a tap and a die for these issues. They are high quality machine pieces and they will fix you problems.
    One of the sets of threads is out of spec.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Are you sure that barrel on the Ruger isn't threaded 1/2-20?

I remember seeing CDNN selling a bunch of 10-22s that were threaded 1/2-20 a while ago, but I can't remember if they were take downs or not.

Note the comment in the OP.
    "I made sure the thread protector from my Mk IV and the one from the 10/22 both threaded on and off the 10/22 easily so obviously they are the correct pitch, and the threads don’t appear buggered."

Cant be wrong pitch because suppressor fits the Mk IV, and the Mk IV thread protector fits the 10/22. If pitch was wrong that wouldnt happen.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I have a tap and a die for these issues. They are high quality machine pieces and they will fix you problems.
    One of the sets of threads is out of spec.

Unless it is a removable-core (and I still wouldn't, given the cost), I would NOT be running a tap into any suppressor. If you measure and confirm in your mind that the suppressor is the issue, then call the Manuf. and ask them what you should do.

Notropis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    NWI
    Under these circumstances, I might apply lapping compound to a thread protector and work the suspect threads a bit. After working the threads, the problem should be apparent.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Sorry to leave everybody hanging for so long, but the problem is just now resolved (just confirmed it a couple days ago).

I was convinced that the problem was the 10/22 (which only made sense) so I contacted Ruger and sent the rifle back to them. They called and said that the threads were within spec (which I found hard to believe), but I asked them to run a suppressor down the threads (since Ruger has suppressors) to see if that was any different (thought maybe suppressor threads were tighter tolerance). They returned my rifle saying that the threads were fine and that the suppressor they had threaded on with no problem. I was honestly pretty skeptical that they could possibly be right, but Ruger’s customer service has always done right by me.

My next thought was to take a 3rd firearm up to the gun shop to confirm it had to be an issue with the 10/22. I had pretty well already made peace with just selling my 10/22 (with the caveat of unknown threads) and buying a new one. So, I get to the gun shop, and it threads right on the pistol, as expected. Then it binds up on the 10/22, as expected. Then I thread it onto my new CZ455 and... it binds up... what the what?! I couldn’t believe it. It felt exactly the same on the CZ455 as the 10/22, but still threaded onto the pistol with ease.

The guy I was talking to at the shop said he might be able to see a bur inside of the suppressor threading, so he gave me the name and number of a guy at Dead Air. I contacted Dead Air, and they promptly sent a return label which I forwarded to the gun shop that is holding my suppressor (still in NFA jail). While I was on the phone with Dead Air, they did say that rifle and pistol threads are typically different. Don’t quote me, but it was something about the height or shape of the thread cuts that he thought may be causing the difference in threading on my pistol vs my rifle.

Fast forward a couple more weeks (for getting it sent, repair, and return), and I’m finally able to get back to the shop to check it out. Dead Air ended up just replacing the threaded end cap and returning it. They didn’t say whether they had seen anything in particular wrong with it. Anyhow, I threaded it onto all 3 of the hosts I brought with me, and they all threaded on perfectly. Problem finally solved!

I was very, very glad to finally have everything squared away. Major props to Dead Air for the fast and great service. Props to Top Guns in Terre Haute as well for getting it sent back and dealing with me dragging in 3 guns and repeatedly trying the suppressor on and off of them when we were trying to troubleshoot.

Now, I get to wait another couple months to finally be able to bring it home. The wait sucks so bad! Wish I woulda ponied up and bought into the NFA world a year ago.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and especially to those who offered help. I was about ready to take you guys up on it if I couldn’t get it solved any more quickly.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Unless it is a removable-core (and I still wouldn't, given the cost), I would NOT be running a tap into any suppressor. If you measure and confirm in your mind that the suppressor is the issue, then call the Manuf. and ask them what you should do.

I see no issue with doing this if you pay attention. Do not bottom the tap. Just clean up the threads and it sounds like that was the issue after all.
    That the piece was still in limbo at the shop might stop this activity of course. If you use the proper tap and do not rock ape it in any deeper than the threads on the barrel it should not be an issue.
    Sending it back was the way. A good outcome.

Top Bottom