• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    So, I've been thinking about refactoring my NFA collection, particularly my mgs. While I take my HK sear and at least one of my hosts out to almost every range trip (mostly the MP5), I realize that I've generally been leaving my M16 in the safe. While I do like my M16 for 5.56 over my HK93 and HK53 hosts, it's not that much better really.

Now here are some options I've been mulling over:

1. Do nothing and just keep going as it is and hope everything keeps accruing in value. (no real explanation needed)

2. Sell the M16 and my HK21 beltfed host and replace them with a 1919A4 (out of all of the .30 beltfeds I've shot, I think I've liked the 1919 the best, except for the M60, which is way outside my budget, even if I sold everything else).

3. Sell the M16 and my HK21 beltfed host, and replace them with an MM21E with 23E conversion kit (or maybe just with a 23E and later buy a 21E conversion kit), and pocket the rest of the cash (or maybe buy another subgun). That would give me a more modern beltfed and let me convert it between 7.62x51 and 5.56d (which I can't currently do with my old style HK21). Plus, Michael's Machines has been teasing a 7.62x39 conversion kit for a few years (an HK22E, if you will), but that's just vaporware at the moment.

Any 1919 and M16 owners out there think I'm on the right track, or think I'm crazy? As of right now, the only caliber I would be losing from current full auto roster would be .22LR, as I have a working upper for the M16, but nothing in the HK platform. But then again, I almost never shoot it now anyway.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I've fired two transferable 1919s and owned a semi one. Parts are very available and so are caliber conversions. I had mine in 8mm and .308. when that new production Romanian 8mm hit the market and was non-corrosive it was a lot of fun to shoot for around $6.50 per 20. I believe that barrel exchange still makes a 7.62x39 conversion for the 1919 as well.

Nicu757

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Brownsburg
    sounds like a real world problem here. I would hold the M16 I think it being a M16 the value will raise maybe even faster then other MGs.... my .02

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    DLO made the best Browning guns other than fully original ones back in the day. Traded my A4 for a 17A1 with tripod a long time ago. For myself most of my shooting is with an M1 Thompson.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    sounds like a real world problem here. I would hold the M16 I think it being a M16 the value will raise maybe even faster then other MGs.... my .02

Well, so far, that hasn't been the case, at least for non-Colt M16s. The Colt government marked ones have gotten kind of crazy, but the Olys, Sendras (what I have), Qualified, Wilson, and all the assorted conversions of non-Colt AR15s haven't really gone up anywhere near as much. They've definitely gone up, but some of the Govt marked Colts are in the $40k+ range.

Really, the DIAS and the registered HK sears have blown up in value, and so has the humble little MAC (especially the M11/9) thanks to guys like Richard Lage. A lot of the other guns have increased, but not by anywhere near the same percentage.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I will say i havent shot many beltfeds, but built/own a 1919 post sample in 308. It is a bunch of fun to shoot and there are a ton of parts and barrels out there for them.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've shot both your HK21 belt fed and a buddy's low tripod mounted 1919. Your HK21 rocked my soul. The 1919 not near as much (I think he had an 8mm barrel on it at the time). Maybe because your standing tripod wasn't as stable. I'd go with the MM gun if you want something different. I need one myself too. I'd rather spend your money 1st. :):

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    So, I've been thinking about refactoring my NFA collection, particularly my mgs. While I take my HK sear and at least one of my hosts out to almost every range trip (mostly the MP5), I realize that I've generally been leaving my M16 in the safe. While I do like my M16 for 5.56 over my HK93 and HK53 hosts, it's not that much better really.

Now here are some options I've been mulling over:

1. Do nothing and just keep going as it is and hope everything keeps accruing in value. (no real explanation needed)

2. Sell the M16 and my HK21 beltfed host and replace them with a 1919A4 (out of all of the .30 beltfeds I've shot, I think I've liked the 1919 the best, except for the M60, which is way outside my budget, even if I sold everything else).

3. Sell the M16 and my HK21 beltfed host, and replace them with an MM21E with 23E conversion kit (or maybe just with a 23E and later buy a 21E conversion kit), and pocket the rest of the cash (or maybe buy another subgun). That would give me a more modern beltfed and let me convert it between 7.62x51 and 5.56d (which I can't currently do with my old style HK21). Plus, Michael's Machines has been teasing a 7.62x39 conversion kit for a few years (an HK22E, if you will), but that's just vaporware at the moment.

Any 1919 and M16 owners out there think I'm on the right track, or think I'm crazy? As of right now, the only caliber I would be losing from current full auto roster would be .22LR, as I have a working upper for the M16, but nothing in the HK platform. But then again, I almost never shoot it now anyway.

At the end of the day it's your money and your fun. If I had a M16 it would probably be one of the last guns I'd sell as it's kind of the Swiss Army Knife of machine guns, you can do pretty much anything with it. Then again you can do just about anything with a HK sear and hosts.

I've got a buddy that has a 1919 and I'll bet that he hasn't shot it in 15 years. Major pain to find a place to shoot it, major pain to drag out all the crap needed to shoot it and it's big $$$ to shoot it.

I've sold transferables to fund other hobbies and couldn't be happier with the change. So my thoughts are to sell the unused guns and buy what you want (1919).

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If it was me I would keep the m16. I decided to invest the money I was gonna use for one in other things. In this political climate one election shifting power in both houses of Congress to the Democrats is all that it would take to outlaw class 3 items and then your $20k to $40k m16 is worth ZIP, nada, nothing, overnight.
    Not worth the risk for alittle fun FOR ME.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    If it was me I would keep the m16. I decided to invest the money I was gonna use for one in other things. In this political climate one election shifting power in both houses of Congress to the Democrats is all that it would take to outlaw class 3 items and then your $20k to $40k m16 is worth ZIP, nada, nothing, overnight.
    Not worth the risk for alittle fun FOR ME.

I will say it's this kind of possibility that keeps me from considering my 2 transferrables as investments, rather than just really expensive items in my collection. Sure, other investments can also lose all their value, but at least that will typically come from a change in the market. All it takes to zero out NFA "investments" is either a repeal of the Hughes Amendment (super unlikely) or a really gun hostile administration getting a full up ban passed (sadly, a lot more likely). We've been fortunate to have the status quo that we have had since the last major change in '86, but as with most things when dealing with government, it generally gets worse, not better (with a few notable exceptions).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom