• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So I am looking into 9mm suppressors. When you add a suppressor to a short barrel does it act as a barrel extension? giving the same or close to the same numbers as a barrel of the same length? My dilemma is a I want a PCC but I am looking to suppress in the future. So going with a pistol version of the gun with a brace and adding the suppressor should yield the same results as the 16" carbine?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It somewhat acts as a barrel extension, velocity typically increases a bit but nothing like a bullet in the bore where pressure can really build

Typically 9mm out of a 16" isn't worth the added length IMO, kinda like a 300blk, people just do it cause it's non NFA and some people just don't like larger platform pistols.

Besides if you want to shoot 9mm and suppressed, you'll want subsonic rounds and you'll want them to be bunny farts for max fun, which means shorter barrel anyway (usually).

Short 9mm SBR/pistol with short can (say Omega 9k), short and quiet is where it's at :yesway:

You may find this interesting

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Thanks I was just reading on carbines and saw that .357mag was substantially more powerful coming out of a rifle length barrel I made the mistake assuming 9mm would also be better coming out of a 16” barrel

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    9mm ballistics will increase with barrel length but at some point you'll have diminishing returns. But for suppressor use you want shorter barrels so the heavier loads stay subsonic as stated above

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Thanks I was just reading on carbines and saw that .357mag was substantially more powerful coming out of a rifle length barrel I made the mistake assuming 9mm would also be better coming out of a 16” barrel

Rotational friction and not enough ass behind a bullet

As stated above. Deminishing returns

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Switching gears a little on you guys... What about buying a suppressor a little big like a .308 suppressor with intent to also use on .223? Or .45acp to also use on 9mm? Does this work for us budget minded gun owners

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Yes they work and are very effective and more versatile. I just sent the paperwork off on my second 762 can for a backup

Pistol is another thing though. I have 2 dedicated 9mm cans and 1 45 can; waiting on the approval for another 9mm can and another 45 though

I'm a silencer whore what can I say

To get a taste of hearing suppressed versatility is very important. After you get into cans though getting dedicateds eventually happen

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Switching gears a little on you guys... What about buying a suppressor a little big like a .308 suppressor with intent to also use on .223? Or .45acp to also use on 9mm? Does this work for us budget minded gun owners

I have 556 k can pending. It'll be the only 556 can I'll ever buy. I wanted a smaller 556 can for my 18" SPR's and take the edge off my 10.5 and still be maneuverable. 30 cal cans for the rest of the rifles. They'll generally db a tad more at the muzzle on a 556 since the aperture is larger but will have a little less back pressure and give a better db report at the shooter's ear, especially on an AR. I shoot 9mm and 45 through my tirant45. Both sound very nice with subs.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Budget minded my first three cams have been over bore. My rifle can is a 30cal and it is ok on 223. But I'll be buying a witt machine canooter valve for use on my 223 ARs. Lighter and not as big as my 30cal can. My pistol can is a 45acp yhm sidewinder and I have pistons for my 9mm pistols as well as an adapter for my 300blk AR pistol, again it's much lighter. My favorite and by far most used is my rimfire can. It's the real game changer and it gets 10x as much use as any other. I wasn't into rimfire before the can now I shoot 22 4x a week at least.

Top Bottom