• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Seriously leads to Analysis Paralysis. I'm a heavy sufferer of said affliction.

I currently only have 1 .22 LR can. I've had it for YEARS and years. Stupid fun - even if it's not really user-serviceable.

I WANT a 9mm can. But there are like 237 choices.

I WANT a 5.56 can. But there are like 237 choices.

I THINK I want a .30 can - even though I don't yet have any .30 rifles and don't plan on ever having any. But there are like 237 choices.

9mm can: Just to hang off the end of 9mm handguns. And, hopefully (Eventually) on the end of a .300 BO AR pistol/rifle/sbr. It would also be slick if this can could also handle .357mag...
    5.55 can: to hang off the end of a 5.56 AR pistol/rifle/SBR
    .30 can to hang off the end of a 5.56 rifle and whatever .30 I may eventually end up with (like a .30-30?)

I don't even really know where to begin. There are a few shops that I don't mind patronizing - and I'd like all the transactions to take place at the same place - be it USDS, Beech Grove, Ft. Liberty (don't even know if they sell NFA stuff!), or Honey Creek Tackle. I'll even give Elmore's a shot (heh) if they have everything in stock. Or Outdoorsman - since I like the folks in there.

Budget is a concern, too. I want to maximize my dollars. Often that means NOT going with the most expensive stuff. It also often means not going with the least expensive stuff. I know there are some phenominal suppressors out there that don't cost an arm and a leg - but which ones?

Maybe I'll just PM curaheeguns and get a suite of Thompson cans and call it a day. *sigh*

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If you suffer from addiction then more likely you won't stop at just a couple more cans. I'd suggest not buying a 556 can unless you want a dedicated can on an SBR or 10.5/11.5 pistol. 30 cal is where it's at. I'd go Trash Panda and/or Vox. Both are super lightweight. The vox can do ASR, cherry bomb, YHM, and key-mo. It can also be direct thread. So very versatile. For a pistol can, I'd almost go obsidian 45 oe tirant 45M and run it in short configuration for 9mm subs

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Seriously leads to Analysis Paralysis. I'm a heavy sufferer of said affliction.

I currently only have 1 .22 LR can. I've had it for YEARS and years. Stupid fun - even if it's not really user-serviceable.

I WANT a 9mm can. But there are like 237 choices.

I WANT a 5.56 can. But there are like 237 choices.

I THINK I want a .30 can - even though I don't yet have any .30 rifles and don't plan on ever having any. But there are like 237 choices.

9mm can: Just to hang off the end of 9mm handguns. And, hopefully (Eventually) on the end of a .300 BO AR pistol/rifle/sbr. It would also be slick if this can could also handle .357mag...
    5.55 can: to hang off the end of a 5.56 AR pistol/rifle/SBR
    .30 can to hang off the end of a 5.56 rifle and whatever .30 I may eventually end up with (like a .30-30?)

I don't even really know where to begin. There are a few shops that I don't mind patronizing - and I'd like all the transactions to take place at the same place - be it USDS, Beech Grove, Ft. Liberty (don't even know if they sell NFA stuff!), or Honey Creek Tackle. I'll even give Elmore's a shot (heh) if they have everything in stock. Or Outdoorsman - since I like the folks in there.

Budget is a concern, too. I want to maximize my dollars. Often that means NOT going with the most expensive stuff. It also often means not going with the least expensive stuff. I know there are some phenominal suppressors out there that don't cost an arm and a leg - but which ones?

Maybe I'll just PM curaheeguns and get a suite of Thompson cans and call it a day. *sigh*

I picked up a TM Isis 2 9mm can about a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier with it. In fact, I ordered a second one. It's stooooooopid quiet on my 10.5" .300blk with 220gr ammo. On my 9mm handguns and subguns it's absolutely retarded quiet, which is why I needed a second one to dedicate to my .300blk. :)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I picked up a TM Isis 2 9mm can about a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier with it. In fact, I ordered a second one. It's stooooooopid quiet on my 10.5" .300blk with 220gr ammo. On my 9mm handguns and subguns it's absolutely retarded quiet, which is why I needed a second one to dedicate to my .300blk. :)

If you want to go shoot and try it out sometime, we can do that. We probably could stand to catch-up anyway.....

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Really check out the silencerco hybrid. I’ve got mine on order and while I’ll only using for 223, 30-cal and 6.5, (I have dedicated pistol cans), it is very versatile and if you spend bank on all the adapters, can serve MANY purposes from a 9mm pistol can to a 45/70 gov rifle can.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    From the versatility standpoint just skip the .556 can and go straight to a .30 can. You won’t lose much noise reduction, there won’t be as much blowback which is a great thing, and if you ever shoot. 30 you’ll be ready for it. The decibel or two that the .30 can will be louder won’t be noticeable and a .30 can usually has a deeper nicer sound.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    And one other thing, a suppressor is a lifelong purchase so the few dollars you save today might cost you an entirely new suppressor down the road if the company you buy from goes under.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    And one other thing, a suppressor is a lifelong purchase so the few dollars you save today might cost you an entirely new suppressor down the road if the company you buy from goes under.

With you on both your posts. So perhaps I want TWO .30 cans from non-fly-by-night pop-up outfits. And a 9mm can. Or 2.

And a way to convince my wife.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Don't under estimate the power of a .45 can on a 9mm host. You'd be surprised how well some of them do. I own TiRant 45s and one 9m, the 45 is almost as good as the 9. But if your looking to get the most use outta one can I'd have no problem just owning the .45 in this scenario.

Gemtech had the idea right when they put their Trilogy package together, A .30 can, .45 can and .22 can in one kit that will do just about everything.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    There seem to be more and more companies and options popping up every day too!
    I kind of like to stick to companies I trust to take care of me if and when there is an issue. I like SilencerCo, Dead Air, Rugged Suppressors, and Q most as of right now. I know there are some other good companies out there but that's where all of my buying has taken place mostly. As Rolex said if someone goes out of business you are SOL also. At least with several of those companies you are dealing with industry veterans as well.

As everyone is saying, I'd go 30cal for rifle silencers. Another thing to consider if maybe choosing a 45 can for one of you pistol silencers as this works kind of the same way buying a 30cal can for a 556 does. It at least gives you options down the road.

Then you just have to pick based on your uses. If you want something for SBR's or a bolt gun, super quiet (long), short and maneuverable or light weight.
    The 30cal Q cans are super light and I haven't heard anything perform as well on subsonic stuff like 308subs or 300blk. They are honestly so light too it's super nice for hunting or toting around on a gun.
    For supersonic stuff especially semi autos I like the dead air stuff a lot and you can put them on as short of an SBR as you'd like and mine seem to be bomb proof. I can show you photos of the finish burnt off one from getting it so hot even.

If you are hard up to shoot something before you buy I live over towards Terre Haute but I own or have access to about 15ish different pistol and rifle silencers from the brands I listed and a few more from some I didn't if you'd like to try something before you buy it. I don't know that I could travel to you, but I'm willing to help out if I can!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If you're limiting yourself to as little cans as possible (for the time being), sounds like you need to go with the Silencerco Hybrid to just get your feet wet.

Plenty of great 30 cal cans on the market, but the bores are too small to handle 9mm/.357 projectiles and at least with the Hybrid, as long as the bullet fits the can will probably be rated for it (depends on barrel length).

I use my Hybrid mainly as a pistol can but if I want a direct thread silencer I'll use that and just change the end cap to a .30 cal anchor brake (more visible and a reminder it has a 30 cal hole instead of a .46 for when I put it back on pistols, plus it is noticeably quieter with the smaller end cap).

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I went with a .30 cal can from SAS for versatility. It’s all stainless and while very strong, it’s a little heavy. I wish I’d have saved up a little more and gone with one of Tim’s titanium cans.

I also have an Isis and an Isis-2. They are great cans. I shoot them on my Scorpion, .300 Blk (the -2 only) and most fun, is on my 38/357 Rossi lever gun. I don’t shoot much suppressed centerfire pistol anymore.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Don't under estimate the power of a .45 can on a 9mm host. You'd be surprised how well some of them do. I own TiRant 45s and one 9m, the 45 is almost as good as the 9. But if your looking to get the most use outta one can I'd have no problem just owning the .45 in this scenario.

Gemtech had the idea right when they put their Trilogy package together, A .30 can, .45 can and .22 can in one kit that will do just about everything.

I can't see myself owning a .45 - but the premise remains. Buy for versatility-sake!

There seem to be more and more companies and options popping up every day too!
    I kind of like to stick to companies I trust to take care of me if and when there is an issue. I like SilencerCo, Dead Air, Rugged Suppressors, and Q most as of right now. I know there are some other good companies out there but that's where all of my buying has taken place mostly. As Rolex said if someone goes out of business you are SOL also. At least with several of those companies you are dealing with industry veterans as well.

As everyone is saying, I'd go 30cal for rifle silencers. Another thing to consider if maybe choosing a 45 can for one of you pistol silencers as this works kind of the same way buying a 30cal can for a 556 does. It at least gives you options down the road.

Then you just have to pick based on your uses. If you want something for SBR's or a bolt gun, super quiet (long), short and maneuverable or light weight.
    The 30cal Q cans are super light and I haven't heard anything perform as well on subsonic stuff like 308subs or 300blk. They are honestly so light too it's super nice for hunting or toting around on a gun.
    For supersonic stuff especially semi autos I like the dead air stuff a lot and you can put them on as short of an SBR as you'd like and mine seem to be bomb proof. I can show you photos of the finish burnt off one from getting it so hot even.

If you are hard up to shoot something before you buy I live over towards Terre Haute but I own or have access to about 15ish different pistol and rifle silencers from the brands I listed and a few more from some I didn't if you'd like to try something before you buy it. I don't know that I could travel to you, but I'm willing to help out if I can!

Thank you for that information and the offer! I don't know if I'll ever have the time to make it out that direction. Will definitely let you know if I have a free day to head west! What a generous offer.

If you're limiting yourself to as little cans as possible (for the time being), sounds like you need to go with the Silencerco Hybrid to just get your feet wet.

Plenty of great 30 cal cans on the market, but the bores are too small to handle 9mm/.357 projectiles and at least with the Hybrid, as long as the bullet fits the can will probably be rated for it (depends on barrel length).

I use my Hybrid mainly as a pistol can but if I want a direct thread silencer I'll use that and just change the end cap to a .30 cal anchor brake (more visible and a reminder it has a 30 cal hole instead of a .46 for when I put it back on pistols, plus it is noticeably quieter with the smaller end cap).

Those SiCo Hybrids are most intriguing. I handled one at another shop on Sat. Very very intriguing. Maybe I'll just get two of those. Hmmm...

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Well.... I'm going to throw another choice out there for consideration in the 5.56 category. I have a 30cal can and it is just a bit unwieldy on what is supposed to be a fast carbine that is easy to maneuver. I'm getting one of these as my next suppressor Witt Machine Canooter Valve I just don't think my 300winmag rated can is a realistic or fun option on the end of a 14.5" or 16" ar15. It's also made to not blow so much gas back in your face, and made to operate without requiring adjustable gas blocks, supposedly... It is effective in all the videw reviews I've seen on it tho.

I have a 45acp can (YHM Sidewinder) in jail right now that is rated for subsonic 300blk and according to youtube does an acceptable job of suppressing 9mm and 45. Being 300blk sub rated it can hang out on my ar45 and my 300blk pistols.

Flexibility and quality are important to me when spending 200dollars on a federal tax, on top of sales tax, and cost I consider them lifelong purchases for as little as I actually shoot compared to their expected service life. I have a thunderbeast 22td for rimfire and my fiveseven. My 30 cal can is made by American mfg, and is a tank that would have to be intentionally damaged to hurt it, and the pistol can is 45acp YHM Sidewinder and I bought the pistons to adapt it to my cz75, as well as mount it to my ar pistols. Having that flexibility was initially important, but that big can ruined the fun and handling of the ar and that is why i'm going after a smaller caliber specific can for 5.56.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The decibel rating, the blowback claim and the ability to handle a 7" 556 in full auto!

I'm looking at it purely from a numbers standpoint. While baffle technology is a part of the equation, internal air volume is another and in my opinion more important.

The Canooter has an internal volume of roughly 2.4850 cubic inches b4 the displacement of the baffles. By the time you get a baffle stack in there thats gonna be cut down by at least half. So 5 cubic inches of air is gonna tame 55k+ PSI to hearing safe levels?
    For comparison, the Element 2 has 3.6285 cubic inches of air space b4 baffles, thats a 46% greater internal volume to start with. The M42000 556 can has a roughly 3x the space at 8.5707 cubic inches.
    So again, i'm all about baffle technology but unless there's some crazy science or sorcery here..............

The back pressure claim......... with a constriction that tight............
    And then being just stainless...... OK, it can take a mag dump or two......... but how long can it really survive? I can rev my car into redline and make huge horsepower numbers but how long will that last b4 it grenades? Probably as long as the Canooter will b4 it launches or detonates.

Kevin Brittingham was being interviewed by our very own 13c once and I was able to participate during that interview. KB said something that I'll never forget that rings very true..... Any ******* with a machine shop can make a "suppressor".

That one line puts a lot into perspective for me. Claims along side a product mean nothing. In the long run you do get what you pay for. And in this industry theres far more snake oil than there is innovation, so buyer beware!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom