Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    .300 black
    8.5" barrel
    Will eventually be suppressed
    Won't get a huge number of rounds shot through it

Pros and cons for SBR vs pistol. Annnnnnd go!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    You can hunt with a 300blk pistol on public ground in Indiana, you can conceal a pistol (and they make backpacks that do it just fine), you don't have to pay 200, you don't have to ask permission to cross invisible lines...

SBR you can put a stock on it, you don't have to worry about someone rewriting the guidance on braces and shouldering them, supersonic rounds can be pretty brutal through a brace but pretty gentle with an actual stock.

idk if they consider an sbr a pistol in Indiana for hunting purposes**

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    While it’s difficult to prove intent...... if you build it and your intentions since day one are to shoulder then your breaking the law, period.

in pistol form it’s allowed for hunting

in sbr form there is never an issue if legality or intent.

pistol format fills a valid need for some people but does not replace the SBR

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Good topic, good answers. Me personally, I have zero desire for .300, or a pistol brace. Suppressed .300 is equal to .45acp at twice the ammo cost. .300 supersonic is equal to .308 at half the performance.

when you do the math, it just don't add up.

The $200 for the stamp ain't a big deal, and neither is the 5320 to transport it across state lines. It's just bul****.
    If you want an SBR, get an SBR. If you want a pistol, get one. Realize your intent, because, sooner or later, they will too. The law might not change, but the ATF interpretation of it will. Guaranteed!!!

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    Yea, a SBR has many disadvantages actually.
    1: loses the concealed carry benefits
    2: requires prior permission to take with you certain places or cross state lines
    3: draws government attention
    4: costs $200
    5: long wait times to be approved
    6: not easily resold
    7: must be engraved
    8: No one else can borrow or use the SBR unless you are present

A pistol with an arm brace can actually provide everything a SBR can provide and more, without the downsides. Everything but a certain cosmetic appearance.
    If someone prefers to use a SBR then I'm happy if their happy. I just don't like it when someone gets all high and mighty with a SBR and decides to criticize someone with an arm braced pistol as having a useless toy.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Good topic, good answers. Me personally, I have zero desire for .300, or a pistol brace. Suppressed .300 is equal to .45acp at twice the ammo cost. .300 supersonic is equal to .308 at half the performance.

when you do the math, it just don't add up.

The $200 for the stamp ain't a big deal, and neither is the 5320 to transport it across state lines. It's just bul****.
    If you want an SBR, get an SBR. If you want a pistol, get one. Realize your intent, because, sooner or later, they will too. The law might not change, but the ATF interpretation of it will. Guaranteed!!!

Indiana told me I can't kill no deer with a 45acp, my 300blk has some blood on it and weighs a lot less than an ar10. In an AR pistol ( I have both a 45 and a 300blk) the savings lean to the 300blk even with ammo. Depends on how much a person shoots, but the vast majority of my friends would never shoot enough to realize the ammo savings of 45acp over the cheaper to build 300blk. Magazines are another, my 45 AR uses Macon mags, which are pricey the glock mags are still pricier than pmags. Another bonus to the 300blk is that the average suppressor owner will have a 30cal can. I have a YHM sidewinder in jail for the 45 that will also work on subsonic 300blk, but my 30cal can will handle full speed deer slaying 300blk, but it's heavier... It's all give and take and if you're talking AR to AR 300blk is much cheaper and it takes a lot of ammo to make up the cost difference. But I say why not have one of each?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Do SBRs have to stay in the one specific configuration or can different uppers be swapped it and out?

You register your form 1 with the caliber you are building, but you are allowed to "temporarily" replace the uppers. Some send a letter to the atf letting them know they will be doing it others don't worry because the upper isn't serialized. You cannot register multi for caliber anymore. I'd get a multi lower, register 300blk after you get the stamp send them a letter to intend to temporarily use a 223 or whatever. I'd keep the 300 upper around

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Indiana told me I can't kill no deer with a 45acp, my 300blk has some blood on it and weighs a lot less than an ar10. In an AR pistol ( I have both a 45 and a 300blk) the savings lean to the 300blk even with ammo. Depends on how much a person shoots, but the vast majority of my friends would never shoot enough to realize the ammo savings of 45acp over the cheaper to build 300blk. Magazines are another, my 45 AR uses Macon mags, which are pricey the glock mags are still pricier than pmags. Another bonus to the 300blk is that the average suppressor owner will have a 30cal can. I have a YHM sidewinder in jail for the 45 that will also work on subsonic 300blk, but my 30cal can will handle full speed deer slaying 300blk, but it's heavier... It's all give and take and if you're talking AR to AR 300blk is much cheaper and it takes a lot of ammo to make up the cost difference. But I say why not have one of each?
    I don't have a .45 SBR for deer hunting, but I did take it to Texas hog hunting. The only AR SBR I have is my avatar gun, a Colt 6945.

The HK I have is pricey, as are the mags, but it just goes up in value. The money I've saved in ammo, I could have bought a couple .300's, but like I said earlier, I think it's pointless.

You love yours, and I'm happy for you. It just doesn't fill a niche that I don't already have covered.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I don't have a .45 SBR for deer hunting, but I did take it to Texas hog hunting. The only AR SBR I have is my avatar gun, a Colt 6945.

The HK I have is pricey, as are the mags, but it just goes up in value. The money I've saved in ammo, I could have bought a couple .300's, but like I said earlier, I think it's pointless.

You love yours, and I'm happy for you. It just doesn't fill a niche that I don't already have covered.

I think you are probably a power user when it comes to ammo and drool worthy hardware. 45 subguns are tough to swallow on initial entry. Mine is also the only 45acp that I have, so I just don't keep a lot of the ammo around. Now once I get the suppressor out of NFA jail I may be adding some more lead lobbing 45's. The real question is what kind of range were you successful on hogs with your hk? I can hit steel at 200 with mine pretty easily. I could definitely land it on a hog sized silhouette, I wouldn't imagine the hog would still be there by the time the bullet landed and I don't think it would have much left in the energy department. The place I hog hunt in Oklahoma sets us up about 110 - 120 yards from the hogs, I never even considered the 45 for it. I would love to bag one with that pistol just because... I'm sure the guide would get a kick out of it too.

shotgun0311

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Camby
    I have a .300 blk sbr and a 5.56 pistol with brace. I will be swapping the uppers to hunt, as long as you can put your sbr back to it's original configuration you do not violate the law.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    When building, make sure this is going through your mind:
    maxresdefault.jpg

That way, there's no constructive intent while building. Then, feel free to use the pistol however you want. If it happens to comfortably rest on your shoulder.....well.....you didn't "intend" that when you built it since you were thinking about the picture above.

Seriously.....Screw the NFA. It's a joke at this point.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I think your choice should be based on your situation.
    I built a 7.5" AR pistol in 5.56mm as a truck gun. I travel through parts of 3 states most days for work, which means an SBR was not practical for me. However, an AR pistol is legal in all 3 states and falls under the CCW laws for those states. The $200 tax stamp was not a concern as the S&B PDW brace I put on it cost more than that.
    If you don't plan to leave the state with the weapon, by all means, SBR it. If you're in a situation like mine, a pistol might more suit your needs.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    When building, make sure this is going through your mind:
    View attachment 70820

That way, there's no constructive intent while building. Then, feel free to use the pistol however you want. If it happens to comfortably rest on your shoulder.....well.....you didn't "intend" that when you built it since you were thinking about the picture above.

Seriously.....Screw the NFA. It's a joke at this point.

how do you do a speed reload? do you need a second person at the range just to insert fresh mags? :laugh:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Not positive, but I think it is legal in rifle form as well.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/7389.htm Looks like it's legal on private property. I think the pistol form allows you to use it on public land. I'm not certain, so do your homework.

As a short barreled rifle it is not legal to hunt with, or so I was made to believe. Building a pistol lower just for that fact. Well, that and I wanted to be able to keep the short upper on something if my SBR lowers were busy. (any excuse)

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    As a short barreled rifle it is not legal to hunt with, or so I was made to believe. Building a pistol lower just for that fact. Well, that and I wanted to be able to keep the short upper on something if my SBR lowers were busy. (any excuse)

You'd be right. That page you linked to says rifle's barrel must be 16" or longer.

A summary of the rifle requirements for deer hunting on private land are as follows:

• The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches

The actual House Act 1415 says that same statement on page 4.

Top Bottom