• Status
    Not open for further replies.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Good for them. I'd like to be able to suppress my work rifle, I even have the suppressor..... My work rifle is a 10.5" model and it's a bit....blasty....... :laugh:

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There are a few Indiana police and sheriffs departments that currently use them. Besides getting cops to clean their guns at all much less with the extra gunk running a DI gun suppressed it seems like it would be a good move.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Good for them. I'd like to be able to suppress my work rifle, I even have the suppressor..... My work rifle is a 10.5" model and it's a bit....blasty....... :laugh:

Yeah, our 10.5" guns are... loud. Luckily they are all suppressed now. :yesway:

Actually, if it wasn't for my suppressed work rifle, I would have never even considered buying a suppressor for any of my personal firearms. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but the suppressed rifles are so much nicer to shoot.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Local PoPo SWAT had some cans for their SBRs, most of the operators have ditched the cans and moved to Flaming Pigs due to length and weight of the cans. I've got weenie ears and wear plugs and muffs when shooting rifles and one or the other when shooting suppressed. To me suppressed is still loud (except for 22) but is way less loud than unsuppressed.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Why does LE need sbr's and suppression? Seems like an unnecessary taxpayer expense.

1. a SBR doesn't cost an agency any more than a 16" gun

2. shorter guns are a bit easier to maneuver, and lighter.

3. if I have to make my rifle go bang in an enclosed space, my hearing is at risk, and that medical bill will cost taxpayers more than a rifle.

4. communication between officers on a chaotic scene could be at risk if hearing is compromised

5. in my case, the SBR and can didn't cost the taxpayers a dime

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Local PoPo SWAT had some cans for their SBRs, most of the operators have ditched the cans and moved to Flaming Pigs due to length and weight of the cans. I've got weenie ears and wear plugs and muffs when shooting rifles and one or the other when shooting suppressed. To me suppressed is still loud (except for 22) but is way less loud than unsuppressed.

Well, if you choose the wrong suppressor for the job then it's gonna suck. I know SBRs are loud but there are cans out there that do a better job than others

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    This has yo be a lie that nice ATF agent that was a witness at the HPA hearings said that silencers don’t protect hearing and ATF just had agents wearing ear plugs AND muffs instead cuz cans are useless and only for trained assasins

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Why does LE need sbr's and suppression? Seems like an unnecessary taxpayer expense.

From the article:

The Article said:
    Law enforcement agencies are forgiven the $200 tax imposed by the law that individuals must pay, and the requests are usually expedited, said Jason Chudy, a spokesman for the ATF in Seattle.

There wouldn't be much more cost involved, just the cost of the physical can.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    1. a SBR doesn't cost an agency any more than a 16" gun

2. shorter guns are a bit easier to maneuver, and lighter.

3. if I have to make my rifle go bang in an enclosed space, my hearing is at risk, and that medical bill will cost taxpayers more than a rifle.

4. communication between officers on a chaotic scene could be at risk if hearing is compromised

5. in my case, the SBR and can didn't cost the taxpayers a dime

1 and 2.. ok I'll sorta by that. If shorter is better and lighter, why add the lenght of a can and turn it into an M4?
    3. I would believe that doesn't happen very often, other than in a shoot house or during training. One would believe if thats truly the case your issue pistol would be fired indoor more often and they would need cans for them long before a rifle.
    4. Combat veteran here, I ain't buying that..
    5. Who paid for it? Someone had to kickup for the barrel, can and adapter?
    Perhaps a gift from the Colt Mana Tree)

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I own my patrol rifle. I own the optic, I own the mags, sling, case etc..... Same with the can I picked up to use with it.

Sounds like you have an axe to grind....

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    1 and 2.. ok I'll sorta by that. If shorter is better and lighter, why add the lenght of a can and turn it into an M4?
    3. I would believe that doesn't happen very often, other than in a shoot house or during training. One would believe if thats truly the case your issue pistol would be fired indoor more often and they would need cans for them long before a rifle.
    4. Combat veteran here, I ain't buying that..
    5. Who paid for it? Someone had to kickup for the barrel, can and adapter?
    Perhaps a gift from the Colt Mana Tree)
    1 and 2. Why have a 16" AR and add another 6" can on it to make it 22"?
    3. I'll take a 10.5 rifle with a 6" can into a house to clear it everyday of the week and twice on Sunday over a pistol
    5. He's telling you he paid for it out of his own pocket

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I own my patrol rifle. I own the optic, I own the mags, sling, case etc..... Same with the can I picked up to use with it.

Sounds like you have an axe to grind....

Ok, I find it interesting that a Dept would allow personal firearms to be used at work..
    Seems like a liability for the Dept.

No ax to grind at all, no reason to turn this into something it's not..
    I'm sure I'm entitled to my opinion, like you are entitled to yours..

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom