• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I have one of the original YHM phantom QD 30cal cans. It is really heavy, but has been solid for me. I wish there were a couple more styles of mounts for it, but that is really splitting hairs. They do a couple styles of brakes and a flash hider mount. I use it for 223 as well as 308 and 300blk supersonic. It does what it is supposed to do.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have one. I don't own it. I got a newer one (I think it's a Turbo) after a coworker put a few extra holes in the old one. It's a lot lighter than the old one (which I think was a Phantom), I can say that for sure. As far as performance, it makes the 10.5 AR a lot more pleasant to shoot.

Of the twenty we have, three have failed. A weld came loose on one and the suppressor went down range. The second was user error and wasn't screwed on tight. The rounds came out the side of the can as I was standing right next to it watching a coworker shoot (got a part of it in my scalp). The third was after the rifle was dropped and the can must have bent slightly... it wasn't a catastrophic failure, but the rifle became wildly inaccurate due to the rounds lightly hitting the end cap as it exited the suppressor.

While that seems somewhat negative, I'd buy a suppressor from them. These guns are actually run pretty hard and to have only three issues, only one of which seemed to be a manufacturing issue, in the last seven or eight years is pretty good in my book.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've held my sidewinder, once... I should be able to get it out of the NFA nursery and bring it home in 20 or 30 more days

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Best QD mounting in the business. No moving parts in the can.

Excellent customer support after sale.

I have 5 of them, all are pre-41F.

I'm not up to date on the newer Turbo and Resonator cans, but I do see good reviews.

It's a solid company, they will be around for a long time.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I've got a 556 stainless QD Phantom. My only complaint would be the the weight. It's heavy, but it runs reliably, even full auto.

97AFF2A6-8964-4658-BF2B-2285682B0D1A_zps2kngh5ak.png

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've got a titanium 5.56 Phantom and it sounds about the same as my Optimus. I'm happy with both.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I don't own one but my friend does and have shot with him a ton. His is the 30 cal phantom light tactical. Sounds on par with my SDN6 and Recce 7. I do think they have one of the best mounting systems out there. If I were just getting into NFA, I'd definitely just buy a couple Resonators and a Turbo and call it good for the rifles. A lot of value for the money spent

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Thank you all so very very much with your opinions and experienced with their stuff.

Seems to follow with other stuff I've read on other forums about them.

They definitely seem to be at the right intersection of simplicity, availability, and affordability.

I may just end up buying from them!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    From personal experience, I spent a few hundred extra on QD, and mounts. In real life, its been on the same blackout for over a year. If I had to do it again I would not go QD. Your mileage may vary.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    From personal experience, I spent a few hundred extra on QD, and mounts. In real life, its been on the same blackout for over a year. If I had to do it again I would not go QD. Your mileage may vary.

Understood.

In my mind, the 5.56 can would mostly live on a yet-to-be-built pistol or SBR. The .30 can would then float between the other scary black rifles. I can definitely see having 2 of the same devices for those.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

I regularly regret going qd. Not on a yhm but in general. I find myself just swapping the 30cal and 22cal qd's onto other rifles... could have saved 300 bucks and just gone direct with thread adapters at this point.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I regularly regret going qd. Not on a yhm but in general. I find myself just swapping the 30cal and 22cal qd's onto other rifles... could have saved 300 bucks and just gone direct with thread adapters at this point.

I'm on board with saving money... But I'm also on board with having some kind of muzzle device on the ARs when they're not suppressed. Just kind of makes sense to me to go ahead and put the QD stuff on the rifles and lleave 'em.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm on board with saving money... But I'm also on board with having some kind of muzzle device on the ARs when they're not suppressed. Just kind of makes sense to me to go ahead and put the QD stuff on the rifles and lleave 'em.

That was my thought going in, but after owning it I realized i'd have nearly a thousand dollars in muzzle devices. I have 3 prong flash hiders that don't require clocking so no need to have a crush washer if properly tightened, they float around to whatever isn't wearing the can. Now if I had a suppressor that had 50 or 60 dollar qd's rather than nearly 100 i'd think about having one on each. I keep a bag of 1/2 and 5/8 crush washers around just in case I want to run a brake rather than the can or my basic flash hiders. If you do go the qd route, buy extra mounts and leave them in their package for future use in the event that the design gets discontinued.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    That was my thought going in, but after owning it I realized i'd have nearly a thousand dollars in muzzle devices. I have 3 prong flash hiders that don't require clocking so no need to have a crush washer if properly tightened, they float around to whatever isn't wearing the can. Now if I had a suppressor that had 50 or 60 dollar qd's rather than nearly 100 i'd think about having one on each. I keep a bag of 1/2 and 5/8 crush washers around just in case I want to run a brake rather than the can or my basic flash hiders. If you do go the qd route, buy extra mounts and leave them in their package for future use in the event that the design gets discontinued.

This'll definitely require some more thought on my end for sure. I'm not a high-volume shooter. Nor much of a rifleman to speak of. I'd just as soon set it and forget it, so to speak. Honestly, at least to start with, I'll probably just go with what ships with the can and then a +1.

Happen to know if there's a way that the user can remove the QD portion from the suppressor and use it direct-thread on another platform? If I hunt 'yotes with my step dad, it'd be nice if he could put the .30 on his rifle as he sits near me. His rifle doesn't wear a muzzle device.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    This'll definitely require some more thought on my end for sure. I'm not a high-volume shooter. Nor much of a rifleman to speak of. I'd just as soon set it and forget it, so to speak. Honestly, at least to start with, I'll probably just go with what ships with the can and then a +1.

Happen to know if there's a way that the user can remove the QD portion from the suppressor and use it direct-thread on another platform? If I hunt 'yotes with my step dad, it'd be nice if he could put the .30 on his rifle as he sits near me. His rifle doesn't wear a muzzle device.

It is not interchangeable. Your can will either be QD, or direct thread. Keep in mind each rifle will either be zeroed for your suppressor, or zeroed for non suppressed. I really wish it wasn't for the 200 dollar transfer, Id make you a hell of a deal on mine with a pile of mounts, then I would go buy a direct thread.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It is not interchangeable. Your can will either be QD, or direct thread. Keep in mind each rifle will either be zeroed for your suppressor, or zeroed for non suppressed. I really wish it wasn't for the 200 dollar transfer, Id make you a hell of a deal on mine with a pile of mounts, then I would go buy a direct thread.

Maybe we'll talk about that later.

Top Bottom