• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Just got a threaded barrel for my Browning hi-power.
    As some of you already know, there is no shoulder on threaded Hi-power barrels, so the suppressor just threads on till the threads bottom out. this seems like it could cause alignment issues.
    I have the Optimus suppressor which comes with a 9mm piston, but there is no shoulder inside the piston for the barrel to but into either.
    When threading the suppressor on, it hits the slide before bottoming out.

Anyone experienced this issue and how have you addressed it?

These seem to be the options:

1: Get a new piston with an inner shoulder for the barrel to bottom out on.
    2: Get a longer threaded hi-power barrel
    3: Machine down the barrel side of the piston 1/16" (it protrudes)
    4: Thread on a 1/2-28 jam nut onto the barrel before attaching the suppressor.
    5: Find a 1/2-28 male to 1/2-28 female adaptor with a shoulder to extend the threads out.
    6: ?

Ideas and experiences appreciated.

Thanks,

Johnny C

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I would stay away from adding stuff to make it work such as adapters. Stacking tolerances will get you in trouble. 1/2x28 pistons index on a shoulder and 13.5x1 index on the muzzle. I believe I'm correct on that but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I'd say the best bet is to buy a barrel with the correct shoulder if you're gonna stick with 1/2x28. I can't remember the name of the shop but they used to lengthen pistol barrels with threaded ends. Dragonfly maybe?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I love Hi Powers, know a guy who's been working on them for decades and he loves them.

One of his comoaints with them.....are they're lousy picky suppressor hosts, has had a couple that wouldn't run no matter what. The Optimus is a heavy can which could cause issues too

Who made your barrel?

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    It is a Remsport barrel.
    HP barrels are too thin to mill a shoulder when threading.
    Also, barrel is installed from the back of the slide, and a shoulder wider than the barrel would not allow it to go through the slide.
    So any shoulder would have to be attached to the barrel after the barrel is installed in the slide.
    A better bet seems to be having a shoulder inside the piston so the muzzle bottoms out in the piston before the suppressor threads on to ofar on the barrel and interfering with the slide.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I don't think you'll find a piston for the optimus in 1/2x28 that indexes on the muzzle face. Generally speaking suppressor manufacturers make their accessories based on others common production methods. Not the other way around so finding an accessory that goes against the grain of commonality of production will be tough. Can you find a threaded barrel for the high power in 13.5x1?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It is a Remsport barrel.

Damn, lot cheaper than a Barsto. Didn't know that company existed. Found out too that Lone Wolf makes threaded Hi Power barrels. Factory barrel on my Practical was never that accurate, be kind of fun to mess around with it again

I wonder if you called Griffin if they could modify the piston for you, or maybe Remsport had a batch of barrels where the threads were too short?

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    You could have someone make a threaded adapter that shoulders on the barrel that then has a shoulder of its own for the suppressor to bottom on. It would be no problem to cut the shoulder and threads on the adapter concentric with the bore of the barrel when installed.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    You could have someone make a threaded adapter that shoulders on the barrel that then has a shoulder of its own for the suppressor to bottom on. It would be no problem to cut the shoulder and threads on the adapter concentric with the bore of the barrel when installed.

Yep, that was my option 5 .
    I see you are a gunsmith, could you make such an adaptor?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Bumping this thread a bit

After 3.5 months of backorder....I finally received the Brownells Hi Power threaded barrel. Dropped right in, and after a couple rounds was keeping sub 3" groups at 15 yards, way more accurate than my factory barrel with the subsonics. Also it worked great and sounded awesome. My friend who said they're picky hosts either had too heavy of cans or something else wrong with the gun cause mine ran like a champ.

Brownells leaves the threaded barrel long. Doesn't have a great (none) shoulder on it but the path is clear through the can

OLFh7C6.jpg

QW0FyJm.jpg

Can't wait for it to warm up. Haven't really shot this pistol in years but now have a reason to again :yesway:

Definitely replacing the front sight though, probably stick a gold bead style on it

Top Bottom