• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    When you file a Form 1 with the ATF for a short-barreled AR, is it just the lower that is registered? In other words, could you have one registered SBR lower and swap various uppers on to that? Or would you need a tax stamp on each configuration or upper?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I was told to keep the upper that you put in the form 1, well at least a representative upper in caliber/length. I have 2 in the works

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    So if you have a tax stamp on a lower you cannot swap multiple uppers on to it?

Does anyone have links to any information from the ATF on this?

If you have a tax stamp on a lower receiver you can put any length and caliber upper you want on it. You just need to keep around the upper (length & caliber) you registered it with- just in case you have to put it back into the original configuration for some reason. None of mine are in the original stamp configuration, but I can put them there in 5 minutes.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Absolutely. One registered SBR, as many uppers as you want. You can have 16 uppers in 14 calibers. I have heard to keep the original upper though. If you "permanently" change the caliber (registered as a 5.56 and you sell that for .300BLK), they say you need to notify them of this change.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Any link to the ATF "decision/opinion/notification" that you have to keep the upper versus it being "able" to be returned to the Form 1 listed length and caliber?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    There was a letter I found from the NFA while digging around the internet a while ago, and I can't find it now. The gist was you cannot register them as multi cal anymore so the weapon should primarily live as it was listed on the form 1 (cal and length), although temporary changes to caliber and length were allowable. The discussion board it was on had one person "say" they were told that they could even just keep the barrel around and swap the upper receiver and still be temporary. Permanent changes deviating away from the form 1 should be documented in writing with the NFA. temporary changes to caliber and length can also be reported if you felt so inclined, but it didn't seem necessary. I personally built some cheap o uppers I will never shoot out that can hang out on the sbr lowers if they are resting in the safe. One is going to be an HD sbr, so it will keep it's original config majority of the time anyway.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I would love to see actual documentation from the ATF on this if possible. I would ask them, but it would take 6 months to get a reply.

Does anyone know how long the current wait is on a Form 1?

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Another question, I assume it is not okay to build the pistol at all without the Form 1 returned? In other words, could you build it but just not pin it together until the Form 1 comes back? That would run afoul of "constructive possession", right?

Of course, by that silly rule most of us would be afoul of NFA somehow, but still.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I would love to see actual documentation from the ATF on this if possible. I would ask them, but it would take 6 months to get a reply.

Does anyone know how long the current wait is on a Form 1?

Google should bring you documents from the atf if you feel you need them. There are a lot of threads all over the place about it.

About 7 - 10 business days if you don't require further investigation with efile. I'm at a month on an efile because I get sent off for deeper penetrations.

Another question, I assume it is not okay to build the pistol at all without the Form 1 returned? In other words, could you build it but just not pin it together until the Form 1 comes back? That would run afoul of "constructive possession", right?

Of course, by that silly rule most of us would be afoul of NFA somehow, but still.

You can build your pistol. Then you can file a form 1 on that pistol and play with it while you wait. when you get it back you can put a stock on the sbr. I have pistols and I have rifles all living in the same safe. I have some pistols not waiting on form 1's. I have a rifle waiting on a form 1 to get unpinned when it comes back, and I've got a pistol waiting for the rifle buffer and stock when I get the stamp back. Pistols are ok.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I phrased it poorly. I guess I could build the lower with a cheap brace for now, but what I meant was would I be out of compliance if I had a pistol upper with no lower with a brace to go with it? Basically having the SBR, but not pinned together? Then pin it together after the Form 1 comes back.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Another question, what does everyone think of the FX-9 from Freedom Ordnance? Do they accept standard AR trigger groups and such? Are there any other AR platform 9mms that accept Glock magazines and have a LRHO? I looked at the PSA offerings, but they do not have a LRHO with Glock magazines.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Constructive intent...

Safest way is to either convert a pistol into SBR (after you get the stamp) or get the stamp for the lower and then get the short barrel.

John3354

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 29, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Constructive intent...

Safest way is to either convert a pistol into SBR (after you get the stamp) or get the stamp for the lower and then get the short barrel.

I assumed as much. Thanks for the opinion. Better safe than fined, jailed and losing your 2A rights. Blade type braces are cheap enough to be disposable or reusable for the next build until the stamp comes back.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Another question, what does everyone think of the FX-9 from Freedom Ordnance? Do they accept standard AR trigger groups and such? Are there any other AR platform 9mms that accept Glock magazines and have a LRHO? I looked at the PSA offerings, but they do not have a LRHO with Glock magazines.

Look for pcc in the long gun forum. This had been covered extensively. Lots of good info

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    If all the host parts are in your possession, but not assembled, meaning you have all the parts intended to make your sbr, you need a stamp.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I phrased it poorly. I guess I could build the lower with a cheap brace for now, but what I meant was would I be out of compliance if I had a pistol upper with no lower with a brace to go with it? Basically having the SBR, but not pinned together? Then pin it together after the Form 1 comes back.

Don't forget you need it engraved before you pin it together. I used Indy Laser for my engraving.

Top Bottom