• ...and so much more!
  • KCYM7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2018
    CARMEL
    Hello all,

A brief introduction. I'm a US Army veteran (SFC), currently own two handguns, a Taurus PT908, a Glock 23, and...a Mossberg shotgun (unmodified).

So, my question concerns the SBS law. As I understand it, if I apply and are accepted by the feds, i.e. get a tax stamp, I can legally own a SBS in Indiana. If that isn't correct, someone please correct me, but I think I'm fairly confident that is how things stand.

Where I'm a bit confused is if I can legally cut-down the shotgun I have, or if I have to buy a "manufactured" SBS.

Of course I'm not looking for a legal opinion here, just some unofficial clarification on what the members believe the law says.

Thanks in advance,

John

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    When you apply for the tax stamp you must submit the serial number and description of the weapon (ga., bbl. length, etc.) you are wanting to add to the NFA register. Be it an existing SBS or the one you intend to manufacture by cutting yours down. Go to the BATFE web site and look for information and forms needed to apply.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You could cut the Mossberg down upon receiving the tax stamp so long as you submitted a Form 1 (application to manufacture). Essentially you could do either so long as you submitted the correct form and waited until it was approved for the manufacture or taking it home.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    With a form 1, you are the manufacturer. Paperwork, prints, engraving. Once approved, you can cut it.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    In Indiana you can own a SBS.

If you buy one from a dealer, it transfers to you on a Form 4.

If you want to cut yours down, you submit the form and pay your tax and can cut it down once you get the approved form back. That’s done on a Form 1.

Top Bottom