762-SDN-6 SUPPRESSOR 7.62 - Good all around suppressor for the Money?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hey all,

I haven't purchased a rifle caliber suppressor before and looking to buy the 762-SDN-6 as it appears to be a good value and good overall performance. Brownells has some good prices right now on this (as well as the SR-7) and I'm asking if anyone has any personal experience (good or negative).

From my research on here, it seems the overall opinion is positive, maybe a few concerns over the 51T mounting system.

I'll be using on anything from an 11.5" 556, 12.5" 6.5 Grendel to 18" 762 Nato.

Side note: I'm also looking at a 556SD as well for a dedicated suppressor for the 556 SBR.

Thanks all.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As far as I know, AAC is definitely a good-to-go company.

I started a "list of suppressor manufacturers" thread not too long ago - have you poked around that? There are a TON of manufacturers out there - and many of them make .30 QD cans.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have one in the pipeline at the moment, so take the bias in my opinion for what it is.

I want a silencer built by a company that's going to be here in 10 years or 20 years. AAC is one of the most established silencer companies out there. I learned that lesson the hard way with a huntertown arms kestrel. I have a silencer from them, it's been great, but that company has gone through a lot since i bought mine.

The SDN-6 is a 308win and down silencer, not a .30cal silencer. If you have a threaded 30-06, or 300wm this silencer is not rated for that. For me, that's not an issue at all, so I'm good with a 308 can.

The quick detach mounts are as good as it gets. The old 51T tooth pattern set the standard and works fine, the newer tooth pattern is good also. Sort of like a gen 1 pmag or gen 1 glock that build the reputation the rest have stood on for years.

I would stay away from the 556SD because you limit yourself to that diameter bullet. Had I bought an SDN-6 the first go around, I doubt I'd be buying another silencer today. A 308 on a 556 isn't going to work as well as it could, but it's still going to be pretty great.

Do whatever you want, but for me the SDN-6 is just a good, reliable, do all silencer backed by a company that'll be around by the time your paperwork gets complete.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    TF - thanks for the info, I’ll look for your thread.

Teddy - All excellent points. I’m never going over 308 so I’m in the same boat. The 556 is $100 less than the 762, but it sounds to me like the cost savings isn’t worth the all around nature of the 762 (if I were to get a second d can).

really helpful stuff!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I bought the ACC 762-SD with the 51T mounting system when they first came out.
    Even if the shorter 762-SDN-6 version was out then, I probably still would have gone for the larger one.
    At the time I didn't have a 7.62 rifle to mount it on. Until I did, I was using it on a few 5.56 AR types. 2 are shorties. I wanted the extra volume of the larger suppressor because of the massive fireballs my SBRs blow out. I couldn't be happier. Now all my 7.62s and 5.56s have the quick disconnect Brakeout comps on them for the 762-SD.

My only problem was my fault.
    My super short AR, I installed a longer rail that covers the barrel and QD comp. You can install the suppressor but pressing the release to take it off was super difficult. I had a special tool made to slide over it that engages the release under the rail set-up so I can unscrew the suppressor. :xmad:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    How much is the big question. Is the SDN6 worth $500-$600? Nope. Was it worth the $450 they were selling for 3 months ago? Maybe

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Not that the 51T is horrible but things have come a long way in recent years. The bad thing with that mounting system is the latch is built into the can and if it needs servicing then it has to go back. AAC is owned by freedom group and I don't believe AAC is real stable at the moment. The best thing they've had in many years is the Halcyon and it's sales are falling off now that the new is worn off where people still continue to buy el caminos, masks, 22 takedowns, and the oculus. Their new Tiraid is a flop. People like interchangeable mounting systems and lightweight while remaining extremely durable. AAC is neither light nor has ability to change mounting systems. If you can afford $600 then you can open up to a better variety of cans. The Vox is 14oz in direct thread and can accept 4 or 5 different mounting systems and is $600. The Razor is 16/17oz for $600. Recce 7 can be had for $600. Or just buy a Resonator for $450 and YHM has an excellent mounting system. I have an SDN6 and a Recce 7. I'd buy any of those I just listed before I'd buy another SDN6, even if it could be had for $400

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Not sure what criteria is being used to say AAC isn’t stable but I can assure you they will be in business longer than Silencer Co at this rate. The Remington bankruptcy filing, while showing poor management on the side of Big Green, was very strategic. “There’s gold in them darn hills” and Remington and freedom group are still making it.
    The .22 suppressor market is saturated with many excellent choices. The Halycon is one of the better modular ones and still sells well in that category. Modular .22 cans are not as big a deal as centerfire pistol cans so traditional lengths still sell at a greater ratio when compared to the modular ones. To that point you left the Element 2 off your list. Still one of the best selling and in some opinions the gold standard of .22 cans. Another AAC money maker that’s “old tech” just like the SDN6.
    The TiRaid is yet another example of AAC doing it their way. Just cause something isn’t a run away hit doesn't mean it isn’t good. The TiRaid capitalized on the AAC 90t, soon to be 51t and direct thread system that they’ve come to be known for. Love it or hate it AAC is moving forward with it and I respect them for not jumping on other bandwagons for mounting options. Let Q and everyone else deal with plan b, c, and d retrofit options. And an all titanium user serviceable can, I give them credit. It weights a ton when compared to other Ti cans but it’s not other Ti cans.
    im not a AAC fanboy, I own Sig, Gemtech, Dead Air as well. But I do know a good, solid can, with pedigree and a great value when I see it.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Now, the SDN6, old tech that keeps going.
    Take anything 300wm and up outta the equation, anyone who is looking at the SDN6 is a battle rifle guy who’s looking at .308 and below. 300wm and above guys will most likely be bolt gunners looking at direct thread anyway. The few goofs who want QD in something that big already have a Gemtech One ( I do) or a Sandman. No one is looking to take their 300wm rated can off their bolt gun and put it on their shorty 556 gun unless it’s the only one they have. And at that point my advice would be start saving up for another can.
    With the exception of the ratchet, which is warrantied if needed, the SDN6 is the most affordable tank you can buy with a proven military track record out there. Hold the ratchet down when you spin it on and you’ll never need to send it back. While Vox is selling this years mystery meat in terms of metal/alloy there’s no argument when it comes to the 100% inconel construction of the sdn6. The average shooter can’t afford the ammo needed to kill one of these things. ( truth be told, the average shooter can’t afford to kill any good can out there for that matter) The baffle design and performance of the sdn6 even after all the years keeps it competitive in the market. And at the price point it’s in now, I just can’t see many other cans competing with it. In the NFA game $100-$200 shouldn’t sway the buyer to much. This is an expensive game to play, but I’m not gonna just give it a away for marginaly better or hardly noticeable performance from another company

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    In closing, we are at one of the best times in suppressor history. There’s way to many options out there with varying degrees of value. It’s the end users job to do their due diligence when spending their hard earned money. It’s not as clear cut as Beta vs Blue Ray. In today’s market any a-hole with a machine shop can pump out a decent can either based on their backyard R&D or stolen, I mean borrowed, designs. It falls back on us as consumers to make sure whoever we give our money to is gonna support the product and be around to do so. :soapbox::ingo:

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I had to jump in on the NFA train the other day and picked up a ZEV Kraken. At this price I almost want to get the longer version of the AAC suppressor. $400 seems like a steal. Too bad it doesn't look like anything makes an AR15 absolutely hearing safe when measured from the ear.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I had to jump in on the NFA train the other day and picked up a ZEV Kraken. At this price I almost want to get the longer version of the AAC suppressor. $400 seems like a steal. Too bad it doesn't look like anything makes an AR15 absolutely hearing safe when measured from the ear.
    Ray at TBAC metered their takedown 556 on a 10.5 and was getting 133-137 at the ear on a 2209. That can is a pig though, 27oz

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I purchased an AAC 762-SD and a friend purchased an AAC 762-SDN-6. The 762-SDN-6 is shorter, lighter, slightly louder and more expensive. The 762-SDN-6 is probably worth the extra $110. The Silencer Shop did all the paperwork and I picked the suppressor at a local shop after the wait.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I like AAC stuff but I think some others are as good. I do not like the weight of the SDN-6. If you can find a Titanium can that you like, I would highly recommend getting one.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I like AAC stuff but I think some others are as good. I do not like the weight of the SDN-6. If you can find a Titanium can that you like, I would highly recommend getting one.

Titanium is not the best metal for the OPs intended use.Titanium starts to loose strength at around 800F and is not recommended for applications in excess of 750F. About 3 mag dumps out of an AR and you might start to see sparks fly. And thats that we havent talked about SBRs or Pistols and how the short barrels cause hi temps even faster.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Titanium is not the best metal for the OPs intended use.Titanium starts to loose strength at around 800F and is not recommended for applications in excess of 750F. About 3 mag dumps out of an AR and you might start to see sparks fly. And thats that we havent talked about SBRs or Pistols and how the short barrels cause hi temps even faster.

.....don't forget Machine Guns. :ar15:

Top Bottom