• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    Gents, I will be upfront and totally honest in saying I know nothing about suppressors but wanting to purchase one for my 45/9mm handguns and one for mostly 5.56 but would want one for a 7.62 just because.

I don’t shoot as often as I’d like due to a kid in college along with two younger ones and a Harley..:)

However I don’t need it blowing up in my face either. I went to a shop in Brownsburg and talked to a knowledgeable gent but he threw a lot at me in the 15 minutes I was there. I have done research but the web is only good for so much literature. Any advice would satisfactory.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    First question is, do these weapons have threaded barrels?
    If not...your path towards stamp collecting just got a bit longer.

You can shoot a 9mm through a 45 Silencer, but not vice-versa. (OK, technically you can, but you will destroy the can.)
    Same with the 7.62 and the 5.56.
    Buy the larger caliber cans first and you can shoot the smaller calibers through them until you decide it is time to pony up for more cans.
    (And yes, it gets addicting...I have four now.)

There are some good dedicated threads on here for the buy process and what is involved.
    Definitely do some research on Trusts as well. They might not be for you...then again, they might be - depending on your needs.

You are in the right place though.
    Ask away.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    First question is, do these weapons have threaded barrels?
    If not...your path towards stamp collecting just got a bit longer.

You can shoot a 9mm through a 45 Silencer, but not vice-versa. (OK, technically you can, but you will destroy the can.)
    Same with the 7.62 and the 5.56.
    Buy the larger caliber cans first and you can shoot the smaller calibers through them until you decide it is time to pony up for more cans.
    (And yes, it gets addicting...I have four now.)

There are some good dedicated threads on here for the buy process and what is involved.
    Definitely do some research on Trusts as well. They might not be for you...then again, they might be - depending on your needs.

You are in the right place though.
    Ask away.

I have a TB for my Glock 17,19, and sig 320 just to prepare for the final fun day. I would not want direct thread as I will have about four different hosts. Also I love 9mm carbines.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    https://www.silencershop.com/silencers/pistol/silencerco-hybrid-46.html

its a little more expensive than 1 suppressor, but not as expensive as2 suppressors, but where you save/spend is you only need 1 transfer tax of 200.00, but you spend on boosters you'll need one for the glocks (1/2x28) and you'll need one for the sig (13.1 left hand thread) BUT you wont need any for the rifles fixed barrels

if you don't think you'd shoot anything bigger than a 30 caliber take a look at the
    https://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7-62mm-rifle/griffin-armament-optimus.html

it will do .22 up to .300 winmag

whatever you do, make sure you get one that shoots .22, I shot mine last week, and it was fun!, I giggled like I did the first time I saw boobies!

a friend shot mine at a steel plate at 80 yards, and when he hit it, he said "if I didn't hear it hit the plate, and see the plate move, i'd thought it was a misfire!"

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    So I’ve been doing much thinking and I’m leaning to what ShooterSix has been saying. The SilencerCo Hybrid. Anyone else have some thoughts.? Or have one personally.?

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    So I’ve been doing much thinking and I’m leaning to what ShooterSix has been saying. The SilencerCo Hybrid. Anyone else have some thoughts.? Or have one personally.?

I have a Hybrid sitting in Class 3 jail right now waiting on the stamp. Do yourself a favor and sign up for the silencerco email notification. about every 3 months or so all their accessories go on sale for usually 25% off. If you look around that will be the best price you find on pistons, endcaps, muzzle devices and whetever else you want for that hybrid. With the research I did that suppressor fit what I wanted to do best and I already have another from silencerco that I am very happy with. (an Osprey45)

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I have a Hybrid sitting in Class 3 jail right now waiting on the stamp. Do yourself a favor and sign up for the silencerco email notification. about every 3 months or so all their accessories go on sale for usually 25% off. If you look around that will be the best price you find on pistons, endcaps, muzzle devices and whetever else you want for that hybrid. With the research I did that suppressor fit what I wanted to do best and I already have another from silencerco that I am very happy with. (an Osprey45)

Thanks for the info Boogie!!

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    When I first started looking into suppressors I thought one of the "universal" (for lack of a better term) cans would be a good go to as I've got .22 up to .308 and many in between (right now). However what put me off of the Hybrid and the Optimus in particular is that they tend to be a bit heavier than suppressors made for a smaller caliber range. That being said I decided to get 2 (to start with), I'm getting a Rugged Obsidian 45 for my pistol calibers (also works for .300, 45-70, .44mag, and .450bush) and a SilencerCo Omega for my rifle calibers. It's a little more expensive but the Obsidian weighs 12ish ounces in the full configuration and 10ish ounces in the short/K configuration. To me, that'll be much more enjoyable to shoot on a handgun than something that's 4-6oz heavier and it'll be easier to manage the muzzle adapters (for me at least) since my rifles all have the same SilencerCo ASR muzzle brake and my pistol calibers have either direct thread or tri-lug. Obviously that's just my personal opinion/preference but it seems like you may be in a similar scenario. Good luck with your search!

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    When I first started looking into suppressors I thought one of the "universal" (for lack of a better term) cans would be a good go to as I've got .22 up to .308 and many in between (right now). However what put me off of the Hybrid and the Optimus in particular is that they tend to be a bit heavier than suppressors made for a smaller caliber range. That being said I decided to get 2 (to start with), I'm getting a Rugged Obsidian 45 for my pistol calibers (also works for .300, 45-70, .44mag, and .450bush) and a SilencerCo Omega for my rifle calibers. It's a little more expensive but the Obsidian weighs 12ish ounces in the full configuration and 10ish ounces in the short/K configuration. To me, that'll be much more enjoyable to shoot on a handgun than something that's 4-6oz heavier and it'll be easier to manage the muzzle adapters (for me at least) since my rifles all have the same SilencerCo ASR muzzle brake and my pistol calibers have either direct thread or tri-lug. Obviously that's just my personal opinion/preference but it seems like you may be in a similar scenario. Good luck with your search!

I agree with you on the weight and the circumference of the hybrid. I also took that into account. I am a pretty stout guy however and don’t shoot as much as I would like too so the added ounces on a can for a couple hours of fun I can deal with. During the warm weather I seem to get tied up with work and finding time to ride my Street Glide on weekend trips. I’m attempting to find more shooting time but with children at home it’s a struggle.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    I agree with you on the weight and the circumference of the hybrid. I also took that into account. I am a pretty stout guy however and don’t shoot as much as I would like too so the added ounces on a can for a couple hours of fun I can deal with. During the warm weather I seem to get tied up with work and finding time to ride my Street Glide on weekend trips. I’m attempting to find more shooting time but with children at home it’s a struggle.

Fair enough, obviously like I said it comes down to a case by case basis pertaining to each person. And that added weight would only come into account when shooting from a unsupported position. If you're shooting from a bag, rest, or something of the like, the can weight is inconsequential.

Top Bottom