• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Okay so here is the real question. How much do I really need to spend on the upper? I am just going to be shooting for fun. I am a bit of a brand name whore though. I see on gun broker a DD 300 complete upper for like $900 shipped or do I just go with something from PSA? I feel like it I break the $500 plus price tag that I am just going to spend the extra and get the DD. Would the reliability or accuracy really be that off on the PSA? I have had no experience with them. Also looked at the BCM but that is around $700 as well and then again I might just fall into the DD for the extra couple bucks.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Do you want 2 uppers? If not then just get a 300BLK barrel.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Okay so here is the real question. How much do I really need to spend on the upper? I am just going to be shooting for fun. I am a bit of a brand name whore though. I see on gun broker a DD 300 complete upper for like $900 shipped or do I just go with something from PSA? I feel like it I break the $500 plus price tag that I am just going to spend the extra and get the DD. Would the reliability or accuracy really be that off on the PSA? I have had no experience with them. Also looked at the BCM but that is around $700 as well and then again I might just fall into the DD for the extra couple bucks.

This probably isn’t the popular opinion around here, but aside from their bolts, which have gotten better, the palmetto uppers are a lot of kit for the money. Less than 300bux for a complete free float upper with bcg and ch. Unless you intend to shoot 10s of thousands of rounds, it is probably gonna serve you well. Barrels arent the greatest and bolts arent the greatest, but I can tell you their uppers seem to run just fine, even in full auto.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just got this today to run suppressed subsonic through and it's flawless. Less than $290 to my door. I'll be warming it up later this week:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...de-7-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch.html

(The details in the listing say 7.5" barrel; this is a misprint as it's 8.5" with a 7" handguard).

...and here's the same upper in a full kit for less than $400 plus tax, just add a lower. Incredible deal:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pistol-kit-5165449761.html

For what it's worth, the handguards look different in these two listings. I got the one in the first listing (upper only). Looks good.

Last edited:

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    You might see if DSG Arms has something to fit your bill. You won't be paying DD money but, as far as I understand, their duty or match grade uppers are up to people's durability standard. Most of those uppers come with "brand name" rails, charging handles, and other items rather than "generics" like you get from PSA; might help ease the sting of bouncing just above your budget line.

That said, I just built and Anderson lower into a 6.5 Grendel pistol with a PSA kit and everything seems to be alright with it thus far.

https://dsgarms.com/complete-uppers?specs=f_caliber:300+blk!!70!!

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Well the PSA that I was going to buy is of course out of stock right now. I also found a Cmmg PDW with a 9 inch barrel for just about a $150 more then the PSA.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So much for the name whore moniker.

LOL. It's an never ending internal battle. I like CMMG stuff, I guess the only thing I had of theirs was the Mutant but it was flawless. I am currently back on the DD band wagon. Unless I find a great deal that I can't pass up, I will not be doing it for a bit. I only shoot outside when I do go and won't be able to make that for a couple months so no hurry in parting with the cash yet.
    However my 22 suppressors are always looking for another host too and then I ran into this last night while looking at uppers :popcorn:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOP7pxFZUHo

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Well the PSA that I was going to buy is of course out of stock right now. I also found a Cmmg PDW with a 9 inch barrel for just about a $150 more then the PSA.

they will likely have it back in stock in a couple weeks (or something very similar). Get subscribed to their daily deals email. Their stuff is cheaper than I can even buy entry level stuff at wholesale prices. I seriously don’t know how they can make much $$$ at the prices they advertise.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    So did ATF change their rule on being able to have the SBR readily changed back to the original configuration?

So if you applied for a stamp with a 8" .300 blackout AR15, and decided to throw your 10.3" 5.56 upper on it, no problem. But ATF said before that the person needs to be able to still own the 8" .300 blackout upper and be able to return it to the original configuration too. Or if the change to the new upper was going to be permanent then needed to be notified. I think there was even an amendment form or something.

Just trying to stay updated.

Personally I think its stupid. If I register a SBR, who gives a crap what length and caliber I make it? Big brother already knows you're an assassin and own a highly dangerous killing machine. (Yeah I'm kidding and making fun)

Back when I applied for my first sbr stamp like 13 years ago or so(edit: 17 yrs), the form was different and you could list minimums for barrel length and also multi calibers.
    Now they dont allow for this on the form

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Heh, not bad how this turned out... who needs an SBR, anyway? One stamp is enough!

A nice glass of bourbon makes the build go... “smoother”.

128984F3-668F-4543-AB74-7F65266FFC98.jpg

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    So did ATF change their rule on being able to have the SBR readily changed back to the original configuration?

So if you applied for a stamp with a 8" .300 blackout AR15, and decided to throw your 10.3" 5.56 upper on it, no problem. But ATF said before that the person needs to be able to still own the 8" .300 blackout upper and be able to return it to the original configuration too. Or if the change to the new upper was going to be permanent then needed to be notified. I think there was even an amendment form or something.

Just trying to stay updated.

Personally I think its stupid. If I register a SBR, who gives a crap what length and caliber I make it? Big brother already knows you're an assassin and own a highly dangerous killing machine. (Yeah I'm kidding and making fun)

Back when I applied for my first sbr stamp like 13 years ago or so(edit: 17 yrs), the form was different and you could list minimums for barrel length and also multi calibers.
    Now they dont allow for this on the form
    Did they change the law or just the form?

Top Bottom