• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Idk if this is in the wrong spot or not but here goes. AR pistol...??? What are the legal standards of building an AR pistol and keeping it legal and not having to file for SBR?? I’m goin to build one and I want to make sure I’m keeping everything legal. Thanks everyone.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Don't start with anything that transferred as a rifle. Start with a stripped lower. Don't put a vertical foregrip, unless it's an aow. Don't modify the brace, leave straps in place don't add padding, etc...

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    so basically the barrel length doesn’t matter as long as it’s fitted with a buffer tube and/or pistol brace???? So that’s basically only info I need to keep it off NFA while still keeping it legal? Thanks guys.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    Born a rifle = always a rifle
    Born as a pistol = can go back and forth

best insurance is make sure the 4473 says “pistol” or “other”, then take a picture in pistol configuration before installing the rifle parts.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    No vertical fore grip either. Do not put a stock on it as once a rifle always a rifle.
    VFG is fine as long as the OAL is over 26”. Then it is no longer a pistol and is a “firearm” instead. You’re looking at something like an 11” barrel to get to that length, and unless I’m mistaken it is buffer tube to barrel end for that measurement

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Man I am so behind the curve on this. Makes me wonder why I built the SBRs instead of just going these other routes. At $200 a pop I could have bought more ammo, or built some more cans.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    All this confusion is exactly why I bought a complete pistol lower. It's all fun and cute to build your own and I get that. Weighing in the consequences of someone coming after you in court for whatever reason they want makes me like being able to point to a purchase order from a manufacturer stating it's a pistol lower. I'm all for saving a buck, but PSA had complete lower with the SBA3 brace for $220 shipped how much are you really going to save to make that worth your while?

For all the legal issues that come with a pistol, personally I chose to just buy a complete lower, and complete upper and pin the two together. This is a case where I don't think the reward is worth any risk.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    All this confusion is exactly why I bought a complete pistol lower. It's all fun and cute to build your own and I get that. Weighing in the consequences of someone coming after you in court for whatever reason they want makes me like being able to point to a purchase order from a manufacturer stating it's a pistol lower. I'm all for saving a buck, but PSA had complete lower with the SBA3 brace for $220 shipped how much are you really going to save to make that worth your while?

For all the legal issues that come with a pistol, personally I chose to just buy a complete lower, and complete upper and pin the two together. This is a case where I don't think the reward is worth any risk.

There is no risk in building a pistol lower compared to buying one built. The risk is in doing things you're not supposed to.

Top Bottom