Considering buying a suppressor for my G19.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PinoyJedi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis NWside
    So over the weekend I spent some time talking to the Silencer Shop people and discovering they have made the process of buying one very streamlined, I also picked up a threaded barrel while at the show.

This will be my first NFA item. It was a lot of info to absorb and I'm still trying to figure out everything and do a bit of my own research.

Any tips or help for a newbie is appreciated! Brands/things to avoid or to look for, general information, etc. Thanks!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You'll need to make sure to look at cans that have or can accept a LID/Nielsen Device/Booster. Any of the major manufacturers should be fine for you and you'll get a hundred different answers to "which is the best" if you ask a hundred different people. Dead Air, Silencerco, AAC, TM, Rugged, etc......all would be just fine. Other than that, just be prepared to wait.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Yankee hill machine make durable cans very affordably. Black Friday they generally put all of their non registered stuff on sale so you can save a ton on pistons and accessories. I've got a yhm sidewinder 45 that runs well on my 9mm pistols, but it's big. I'm going to add a 9mm can soon.

PinoyJedi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis NWside
    You'll need to make sure to look at cans that have or can accept a LID/Nielsen Device/Booster. Any of the major manufacturers should be fine for you and you'll get a hundred different answers to "which is the best" if you ask a hundred different people. Dead Air, Silencerco, AAC, TM, Rugged, etc......all would be just fine. Other than that, just be prepared to wait.

Was looking at the Rugged Obsidian 9 on their website, with the stamp and trust it looks like it will be just over $800, and looks ready to go out of the box.

Yeah, waiting will be hard, but I think it will be worth it!

PinoyJedi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis NWside
    Yankee hill machine make durable cans very affordably. Black Friday they generally put all of their non registered stuff on sale so you can save a ton on pistons and accessories. I've got a yhm sidewinder 45 that runs well on my 9mm pistols, but it's big. I'm going to add a 9mm can soon.

Just bookmarked them and going to browse around the site, thanks!

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    The rugged obsidian 9 has great reviews. My suggestion is to find a range to do the ffl transfer that will let you shoot the can while you wait for atf approval. On the east side of indy, there is highsmith guns, but I'm not sure if they are silencershop certified. On the west side, parabellum firearms has an indoor range and a silencershop kiosk and supposedly they let you shoot cans while you wait. This is important because the current atf approval times are over 12 months!!!

PinoyJedi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis NWside
    Went ahead and ordered the Obsidian 9 from silencer shop with the trust and stamp. Went to my LGS and used the kiosk, took my photo with the app and that was that. I was amazed at how easy it all was, hardest part was rolling my finger correctly to get a good print!

I am really excited, this has been a dream of mine since I was a kid.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Went ahead and ordered the Obsidian 9 from silencer shop with the trust and stamp. Went to my LGS and used the kiosk, took my photo with the app and that was that. I was amazed at how easy it all was, hardest part was rolling my finger correctly to get a good print!

I am really excited, this has been a dream of mine since I was a kid.

You did fine. Obsidian is a good can

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I just got my obsidian 45 can couple months ago and love it. Super quiet with 45 being they’re subsonic. Used on my cz scorpion 9 and works great as well. Looking to add a 9 mm can later on but gonna wait and see if any deals come along thru SilencerShop. Used them for the 45 can and process was painless, minus the longggggggg wait. You won’t be disappointed my friend!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    They do make the process very easy. I own an Obsidian, you'll be very happy with it. Rugged pistol silencers are up at the top of my list if it's going on a pistol and not a sub gun. Congrats!!

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Was looking at the Rugged Obsidian 9 on their website, with the stamp and trust it looks like it will be just over $800, and looks ready to go out of the box.

Yeah, waiting will be hard, but I think it will be worth it!

Silencer Shop is the way to go.

I ordered one at NRA over last weekend. I've got an Obsidian 45 already. Rugged cans are solid.

PinoyJedi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Indianapolis NWside
    Thanks for all the responses! Happy to hear Rugged was a good choice, and you have been happy with them.

Will be using it on my G19, walther P22, and now it gives me an excuse to build a 300 blackout rifle! :)

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the responses! Happy to hear Rugged was a good choice, and you have been happy with them.

Will be using it on my G19, walther P22, and now it gives me an excuse to build a 300 blackout rifle! :)

even though rugged is user serviceable I would highly recommend getting a dedicated .22 can just because 22’s are so dirty

captcarl

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    I have an obsidian 9. It is everything a solid 9mm suppressor should be in the full configuration, and although louder it is nice to have the short option. You will be happy!

rebase

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Congrats on the obsidian 9! Great can - now goodluck with your wait. The only thing to make it go faster is to buy more NFA items so it wont be alone in jail.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    That sucks you'll love the obsidian though. I have two new scopes I want to go zero and can't so I feel your pain kinda lol.

Top Bottom