• ...and so much more!
  • Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    Hey All,

So I'm putting together my first AR. I'm familiar with the platform, as I have experience in the military but never personally owned one. I liked the thought of having an AK so I bought that for the cool factor but now I'm wanting an AR15 and decided to put one together. I have a full lower already but am looking into an upper. I'm stuck between the Daniel Defense MK18 upper and the Bravo Company 11.5" upper. I've heard great things about both but am just looking for personal opinions or thoughts. And before anyone asks, I already have my form 1 submitted (put it in on 22Apr19) just waiting for it to be approved and come back.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Welcome to INGO.
    you can't really go wrong with either. What length did you put on your form 1?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Ive got both. Like KJQ said, You'll be happy with either. Neither one has ever missed a beat suppressed or unsupressed. The BCM is most likely lighter unless its an old school one. Mine is a keymod rail.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    If you put a specific length on your form 1 I would at least have an upper of that length. Both options are good. Depends on if you want the quad rail “Clone” of what SF uses or the modern, slim rail.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I'm going to say go with the BCM with one difference. Take a look at the 12.5" Kino configuration upper they offer. Love mine.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Daniel Defense are known for being over gassed. The BCM is the better choice for a nicer shooting gun. I have one in 11.5" and I love it. The extra 1.2 inches is good, too. :):

Nothing wrong with DD, but I'm not a fan of over gassed guns.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Daniel Defense are known for being over gassed. The BCM is the better choice for a nicer shooting gun. I have one in 11.5" and I love it. The extra 1.2 inches is good, too. :):

Nothing wrong with DD, but I'm not a fan of over gassed guns.
    I agree im not a fan of over gassing either. Nothing sucks more than having hot oils and greaase thrown into your face and goggles, hair while shooting.
    I use the gas buster charging handles in my mk18's and have zero (seriously) issues with overgassing while shooting even suppressed.
    You may notice more recoil on the DD guns but thats about it with those charging handles.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I agree im not a fan of over gassing either. Nothing sucks more than having hot oils and greaase thrown into your face and goggles, hair while shooting.
    I use the gas buster charging handles in my mk18's and have zero (seriously) issues with overgassing while shooting even suppressed.
    You may notice more recoil on the DD guns but thats about it with those charging handles.

That's a good solution to that problem. I've heard those charging handles help a lot. I know why DD over gasses, as a lot of manufacturers do, but I prefer a properly gassed barrel. I really like Rosco barrels, they're my new go-to, and they make an 11.5". Shoots as good as a BCM for half the price, US made, and they offer a MIL/LE discount.

Gas blowing back into your face aside, a smaller gas port results in a nicer shooting gun. I've even ran Tula steel cased .223 in my BCM's and Roscos, and they run fine.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've got a ddm4a1, the longer brother of the mk18. It's a 14.5". I free that upper, it's a real utility piece that has no issues shooting everything I put in it, and accurately. It's the only quad rail I've ever liked. I haven't experienced gas in the face with it even with a can.

Beautiful part of an sbr ar15 is you can put whatever you want on top lol, so my vote is buy both, then build one, then buy another.... Ha

Did you efile?

Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    I put 11.5 on my form but wouldn't be too difficult to send them a letter saying I'm going to switch to a 10.5 inch. But, I think I decided on the BCM 11.5. I think I will enjoy the smaller grip of their MCMR rail compared to the quad rail. Thanks for the reply!

Burchamj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2019
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the input. I think I am going to go with the BCM though. I don't plan on throwing a lot of stuff on it so the Mlok rail would be a better option for me and save a bit on weight. And yes, I did E-file

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Just to make you second guess... I have both. I've shoot a lot of sub moa groups with my DD MK18. I seem to get ~1.5 moa out of the BCM. :)

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Just to make you second guess... I have both. I've shoot a lot of sub moa groups with my DD MK18. I seem to get ~1.5 moa out of the BCM. :)

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

QFT. This seems to be the consensus among a lot of shooters who shoot +1000rds a year. BCM makes a reliable barrel but they are not known for their accuracy when compared to others.

Top Bottom