• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevin Dalrymple

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2019
    Carmel
    I am waiting for my tax stamp for my GemTech 22 and was wondering what everyone was using if anything to protect the internals from carbon and lead. is there a spray or an oil?

Thank you.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Nope. I just take apart my one .22 can that is capable of being taken apart, every 150-200 rounds for a simple cleaning. My Gemtech Outback II does not come apart, so I don't worry about it.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am waiting for my tax stamp for my GemTech 22 and was wondering what everyone was using if anything to protect the internals from carbon and lead. is there a spray or an oil?

Thank you.

Welcome to :ingo:
    I have one of the older outback IID that can be disassembled but i honestly got lazy with it. This unit has the older K style baffles before they changed to the mono core. I figured ill shoot it till its no longer quiet and send it in for a spa treatment :)
    Id love the IOU upgrade but its more than I payed for the can lol

Kevin Dalrymple

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2019
    Carmel
    Welcome to :ingo:
    I have one of the older outback IID that can be disassembled but i honestly got lazy with it. This unit has the older K style baffles before they changed to the mono core. I figured ill shoot it till its no longer quiet and send it in for a spa treatment :)
    Id love the IOU upgrade but its more than I payed for the can lol

I bought a GemTech GM-22. it has the mono core. It has been almost 6 months, the wait is getting closer i hope. if not it will be a good Christmas present that i paid for a year in advance.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I believe they GemTech sell a cleaner, at least they did when I was looking. I have the same one. I've never taken mine apart; though I've only got maybe 300 rounds through it.
    For the weight, I think it's a great can. Using good subsonic ammo (I've found Eley works really well, as well as Fiochi) it's deathly quiet. I mean that literally; the squirrels never knew what hit them. I've used it on both my 10/22 and a M&P 22 C. Works great on both. Interesting note I've just discovered: from a pistol everything is subsonic so don't worry about spending the extra dime on subsonic ammo if you're going to shoot from a pistol.
    Hope it comes in soon for you.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The GM-22 has it's pros and cons.

Pros: lightweight, decent job at suppression on 16"+ barrels, monocore design makes disassembly and reassembly simple.

Cons: Monocore design offers higher oxygen content and greater first round pop, not the best can on a pistol, all aluminum design does not allow for use of harsh cleaning agents, sleeveless designs makes for easy lockup between core and tube if run for to many rounds without cleaning.

Depending on what barrel length it's used on will determine how bad it will get gunked up. With that said there is no spray or oil ( even bore butter) that will cure the inevitable carbon/lead build up on the exposed sidewalls of the tube or the core itself. If you plan to use this on pistols then you're in for a crash course in silencer care with a very delicate suppressor. With anything roughly 6" or less your going to accumulate heavy build up on the walls that will require you to use a 1/4 ratchet to break the core apart from the tube. All oils will burn off after about 20 rounds and even a thin coating of grease would help as it will burn away and any residual will only become part of the problem. On 16" guns the longer barrel will keep the majority of all the crud either in the barrel or leave deposits of debris in the can that are easy to shake out and clean off. In addition, the longer barrels do not allow for the blast to burn in the crud as in pistols. Not that the .22 has a high pressure but it's almost nothing on carbines and longer.

So long story short, if you're not going to dedicate this can to 16" or greater guns then invest in the following:

A good set of Nylon brushes, a good PLASTIC dental pick. As far as cleaning goes Gemtech used to advise soaking in WD-40 and while this can work it takes forever. Gemtech has now advised to use a solution of 50/50 mineral spirits and ATF, soak baffles and tube then clean. This works well. Otherwise elbow grease and nylon brushes with your favorite cleaner that IS NOT AMMONIA BASED as it can eat away at any exposed aluminum.

Welcome to the world of rimfire suppressors! you picked a hell of a can to get started with, but don't worry I did the same thing too. My GM-22 now resides on a CZ455 16" squirrel slayer and it not only sounds great with anything Standard Velocity or less but also has almost no clean up involved after around 300 rounds.
    If you decide to buy another .22 can down the road you want to beat up with high volume of shooting make sure it's a stainless steel build so you can just dunk the baffles in CLR for a few hours and wipe them down.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom