• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    I am getting ready to start the process on my first can. I had it narrowed down to a few choices, most likely to an Omega, Saker, or YHM Resonator... Then I got to thinking about the need to clean it. If it's primary purpose will be to shoot 300BLK regular and subsonic, would I be better suited getting a serviceable can to be able to clean it? It will also see 308 (subsonic and reg) and 30-06, but how many full power rounds will have to be sent through it to offset the subsonic and 300blk buildup?

Thanks,
    R

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I wouldn't worry about it. Center fire is very clean compared to rim fire. My Optimus is user serviceable and, after a few thousand rounds, it was hardly worth the effort of taking it apart.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Don’t shoot exposed cast lead bullets and you’ll be fine. Generally, any crap that stays in there will get cooked by the temperature rifle cans get to. I would not worry once second about user serviceable for anything other than .22lr or maybe some other handgun. I’ve got prob 3000 rounds through my tirant 9mm. I still take it apart and clean it occasionally, but I bet if it were sealed it would see 20,000 rounds easily if I didn’t shoot uncoated lead

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You're already over thinking it.
    As stated above, as long as you aren't shooting exposed lead, even shooting subsonic rounds loaded with dirty pistol ammo wont be enough to clog a centerfire rifle can. I've shot tons of subs through a few of my .30 cans and have no issue with crud as verified by no weight gain. Unless your shooting 10,000 rounds of subs b4 blasting a few rounds of real ammo through it you're worrying for nothing. In the centerfire rifle can realm I want the most robust build I can get and that means welds, not threads.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    You're already over thinking it.
    As stated above, as long as you aren't shooting exposed lead, even shooting subsonic rounds loaded with dirty pistol ammo wont be enough to clog a centerfire rifle can. I've shot tons of subs through a few of my .30 cans and have no issue with crud as verified by no weight gain. Unless your shooting 10,000 rounds of subs b4 blasting a few rounds of real ammo through it you're worrying for nothing. In the centerfire rifle can realm I want the most robust build I can get and that means welds, not threads.

Agreed. Beyond you don’t “need” a serviceable can, you don’t WANT one. Welded all day.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Agreed. Beyond you don’t “need” a serviceable can, you don’t WANT one. Welded all day.

This. When it comes to a rifle can, you want that thing as tough as possible to handle the pressure. If you want to "clean it", after you finish shooting subsonic .300 BLK, slap that puppy on an AR or AK and rapid fire your way through a mag or 2 of super sonic ammo. Nice and "clean" after that. :cool:

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    For what it's worth, I went YHM can because of their mounts. They have the widest selection of mounts for thread pitches. If you've got some euro threaded stuff or have weird projects in mind for thin profile barrels, it seems YHM has the most selection of thread pitches available for rifle cans. I'd also rather have a welded short and a separate welded long can than a single rifle can that has extra places to fail when you convert to the Kompact profile.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    As stated over and over you don't need to worry about cleaning it... I have one can that seems almost exclusively subs and it's not an issue. Also if you are only wanting to go with those three options my money would be on the Omega. I've shot all three with 300blk and the Omega to me was better than the other two. I did think the YHM had a nice tone though.

Not to throw this at you but if you are mainly shooting subsonic stuff it may also be worth checking out some of the tubeless larger OD cans that are becoming more and more popular right now from places like Q, Sig, Dead Air and a few others. I know that if/when Dead Air releases what's been shown as the Nomax (bigger Nomad) I'll be buying one. Discrete Ballistics had a metering day with representatives from different companies and the numbers were amazing.

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I run a fully welded AAC Cyclone on my 300 blackout. I love it and I have never cleaned it. My only regret is the weight. If I had to buy another I would get a titanium can. Maybe a Wilson, Thunder Beast, Gemtech, AAC. I prefer the fully welded design for the strength. I also have an AAC eco 9mm can. It is not advertised as a take apart can but I know it can be done. It would be hard to get the end caps off. Once again I have never cleaned it.

My advise after buying the AAC Cyclone for my 300 blackout:

1. Go with a fully welded can rated for 300 win mag or 300 RUM, even if you just intend to use it for 300 blackout.
    2. Bite the bullet and spring for titanium. Mine is Inconel and stainless and let me tell you it is heavy out on the end of that muzzle.

Another thought, 300 blackout supposedly gets full powder burn in about 9 inches of barrel, so it should be pretty clean. If you were going to run a 308 SBR or something like that then that would be a pretty dirty setup. However for a 308 SBR I would think you would want a fully welded can for the strength. Always tradeoffs. Good luck with everything!

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    I know that if/when Dead Air releases what's been shown as the Nomax (bigger Nomad) I'll be buying one. Discrete Ballistics had a metering day with representatives from different companies and the numbers were amazing.

Called DA today and spoke with "Rod," the Nomax is set to release in 2-3months. Dude was giddy chatting about it. Range reports have been impressive. I've waited this long to order a can, I'll wait a little longer and get a Nomax!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Called DA today and spoke with "Rod," the Nomax is set to release in 2-3months. Dude was giddy chatting about it. Range reports have been impressive. I've waited this long to order a can, I'll wait a little longer and get a Nomax!

Awesome, I know my LGS has them on order. I already put my name on one! I'm sooo pumped to get it! Glad you talked to Rod, he does all of their customer service. Sometimes I think he is overworked but he is a super good guy and Dead Air is a great company!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Just get a Full Nelson, $599 at Brownells. I’m sure there’s a coupon code floating around as well

Ahh this got me SOOOO excited and then I scrolled down! I've got a half Nelson and I was more than ready to buy a full for that price!

Top Bottom