Join INGunOwners For Free

User Info Menu

Question about SBR rules

After you get your form 1 approved and all is legal to own and have fun with, do you have to fill out a 5320.20 form every time you want to take your SBR anywhere outside your residence? Say to range, friends property, or anywhere else (in Indiana). Seems like a ridiculous amount of paper work for suck small/short trips to shoot.
    You can’t fix stupid

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure that is just for trips where you cross state lines.
    "The problem with internet quotations is that many are not genuine." -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CampingJosh View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is just for trips where you cross state lines.
    This.

User Info Menu

Only if you cross state lines
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
    I'm picturing you curbstomping yourself, ala Fight Club. All while yelling, "don't worry ma'am, he'll leave you alone after this."
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If you want a real vintage denim hat, you'll probably have to push a hipster off his fixed gear bicycle and, while he's collecting his PBR cans, grab it off his head and run.

User Info Menu

Ok thx, I was thinking that would’ve been quit excessive. But you never know the the government
    You can’t fix stupid

Plinker

User Info Menu

Yes, as has been said here, you only need the 5320 if you are crossing State lines.
    BUT, make sure you get one approved and carry it with you.
    I made the mistake of not bringing my form with me when traveling from Fla to Ind and it caused some problems.
    Fortunately, I was dealing with a "pro gun" LE officer snd got it all straightened out without any legal action taken.
    I have a photo on my phone, but, they wanted to see an original, so they held my SBR, until I could to get it and show them, before they let me have my SBR back.

User Info Menu

This is why I hate these stupid (unconstitutional) laws. My SBR is one of my favorite guns, and the one I'd want with me if something were to go down while I was away from home. I ended up also building an AR pistol so I could travel, and still have something better than just a handgun. The SBA3 is really good, but I'd still rather have a real stock. By the way, that paper works snafu... even though I never go out of state with it, I keep a copy of the original form 1 in my SBR's case. I hope they don't expect you to drive around the state with the original of THAT. Way too valuable to be packing around.
    You know what I like best about most people? Their dogs.

KLB

User Info Menu

Why would you have to show your stamp to a LEO? Is there a state law requiring that you have one?
    They shouldn't just drop a hellfire missile on your café experience...Rand Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KLB View Post
    Why would you have to show your stamp to a LEO? Is there a state law requiring that you have one?
    Say you are seen with a rifle that has a barrel obviously under 16" and some LEO wants to check to see if it's a legal SBR or something you just slapped together.... Sorry, but I'm a good guy, and a bit paranoid. I'm gonna be ready to prove I'm a good guy. Doesn't have to be state law. LEOs have the right to enforce ALL laws (state, federal, local) that are in play within their jurisdiction. I won't fault them for asking either, (long as they're not an A-hole about it) just hope I don't get one that expects me to go around with the valuable original. Pretty sure if you got your stuff together most would say, "OK, you're good." After all if I AM seen with it, I won't be doing anything illegal at the time like robbing some place...
    You know what I like best about most people? Their dogs.