• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    After you get your form 1 approved and all is legal to own and have fun with, do you have to fill out a 5320.20 form every time you want to take your SBR anywhere outside your residence? Say to range, friends property, or anywhere else (in Indiana). Seems like a ridiculous amount of paper work for suck small/short trips to shoot.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    Yes, as has been said here, you only need the 5320 if you are crossing State lines.
    BUT, make sure you get one approved and carry it with you.
    I made the mistake of not bringing my form with me when traveling from Fla to Ind and it caused some problems.
    Fortunately, I was dealing with a "pro gun" LE officer snd got it all straightened out without any legal action taken.
    I have a photo on my phone, but, they wanted to see an original, so they held my SBR, until I could to get it and show them, before they let me have my SBR back.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    This is why I hate these stupid (unconstitutional) laws. My SBR is one of my favorite guns, and the one I'd want with me if something were to go down while I was away from home. I ended up also building an AR pistol so I could travel, and still have something better than just a handgun. The SBA3 is really good, but I'd still rather have a real stock. By the way, that paper works snafu... even though I never go out of state with it, I keep a copy of the original form 1 in my SBR's case. I hope they don't expect you to drive around the state with the original of THAT. Way too valuable to be packing around.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Why would you have to show your stamp to a LEO? Is there a state law requiring that you have one?

Say you are seen with a rifle that has a barrel obviously under 16" and some LEO wants to check to see if it's a legal SBR or something you just slapped together.... Sorry, but I'm a good guy, and a bit paranoid. I'm gonna be ready to prove I'm a good guy. Doesn't have to be state law. LEOs have the right to enforce ALL laws (state, federal, local) that are in play within their jurisdiction. I won't fault them for asking either, (long as they're not an A-hole about it) just hope I don't get one that expects me to go around with the valuable original. Pretty sure if you got your stuff together most would say, "OK, you're good." After all if I AM seen with it, I won't be doing anything illegal at the time like robbing some place...

weevilbasher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I just made a small copy of the 1st page of my original form 1 and laminated it. It’s the perfect size to fit in my back pocket or range bag. That way they can see the stamp if they want

kashrack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2019
    Hamilton co
    I agree with everything above. If you did want to travel with your SBR to other states, which SBR are legal, you would need to file a form 20 with the ATF and that takes a few mouths on average. I also agree, you should take a copy of your tax stamp when transporting your SBR.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Luckily I filed all my form 1’s electronically so I always have a copy with me, as long as I have my phone and decent reception!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Edited.
    Didn't want to give bad info.

I always recommend calling the ATF yourself and asking questions, or better yet, call an NFA attorney. Put one on retainer if yiu have NFA items. Its just worth it.

Last edited:

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Why would you have to show your stamp to a LEO? Is there a state law requiring that you have one?
    NFA paperwork are tax documents, you MAY show them to LEO, but unless stated by law you don’t HAVE to; under federal law the statute reads something along the lines of “required to show paperwork to agents of the treasury” which wouldn’t be your local LEO, but I mean they could in theory call ATF agents to come hang out with you.

personally, I’ve never been asked anywhere to show paperwork.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    NFA paperwork are tax documents, you MAY show them to LEO, but unless stated by law you don’t HAVE to; under federal law the statute reads something along the lines of “required to show paperwork to agents of the treasury” which wouldn’t be your local LEO, but I mean they could in theory call ATF agents to come hang out with you.

personally, I’ve never been asked anywhere to show paperwork.
    Thanks. That was where I was trying to direct the conversation. :):

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Say you get a cop who wants to show his ass and you're feeling a little froggy because what the hell, you don't have anything to do for the next couple days. So you refuse to show him your stamp and he doesn't think to call the ATF and he arrests you. Can you look forward to getting paid? :):

weevilbasher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Say you get a cop who wants to show his ass and you're feeling a little froggy because what the hell, you don't have anything to do for the next couple days. So you refuse to show him your stamp and he doesn't think to call the ATF and he arrests you. Can you look forward to getting paid? :):

Knowing the blue Mofia they will take you for 24 hours and when the atf shows up you show them the stamp you get released and ask why your suppressor isn’t in your personal effects and they say “what suppressor? Also sorry about your dog.”

Last edited:
    Top Bottom