Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

I have a question regarding pistol/SBR

Bear Creek has a great price on a 7.5Ē pistol upper assembly. I am very temped to buy one or six. I donít do well at understanding legal speak so about two sentences into the laws regarding SBRs and AR pistols Iím confused and lost.
    I have a brand new assembled lower less the tube and spring. Is it only the stock/shoulder pad that determines whether the assembled firearm is an SBR or classified as a pistol?
    Also, is an AR pistol no different legally than any other pistol and is an SBR a class III controlled firearm?

Thanks, Matt

Keeper of the Hammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Notalentbum View Post
    Bear Creek has a great price on a 7.5Ē pistol upper assembly. I am very temped to buy one or six. I donít do well at understanding legal speak so about two sentences into the laws regarding SBRs and AR pistols Iím confused and lost.
    I have a brand new assembled lower less the tube and spring. Is it only the stock/shoulder pad that determines whether the assembled firearm is an SBR or classified as a pistol?
    Also, is an AR pistol no different legally than any other pistol and is an SBR a class III controlled firearm?

Thanks, Matt
    For an AR pistol, you need a pistol buffer tube. Basically a buffer tube that can't take a stock. An AR pistol falls on the same laws as carrying a pistol in Indiana. You need to have a LTCH. 3rd, yes, a SBR is regulated under NFA laws.
    INGO Classified Ad Rules
    INGO Forum Rules
    Click here to become an INGO
    Click here if you are interested in advertising

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

I am not a fan of bear creek. JMHO and spend your dollars as you will.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Semi-Moderator

User Info Menu

Start your build as a pistol. Put the stabilizer brace on it and you're good to go. Since the brace was not designed to be shouldered, it's considered an accessory, not a stock. Just make sure not to put a vertical foregeip on it.

And in reality, there is no difference between a SBR and a pistol w/ a brace except the previous mentioned vertical foregrip........and the possibility of a braced pistol becoming a no-no with the swipe of a pen.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>>
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...ing-video.html

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

User Info Menu

Stupid federal law:Once a rifle, ALWAYS a rifle.

If it starts its life as a pistol (or "other" if purchased as a stripped lower) you may convert it to a rifle later. CAREFULLY. As this author mentions, its probably a good idea to also have an AR rifle as well to avoid what they fail to mention by name that COULD send you to jail; "constructive possession" of a SBR without a stamp. If you bought the lower with a stock preassembled, it was almost always transferred as a rifle.

A good, short FAQ here.
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/122-266557/?

And in any case, if there are any doubts whether you started with a pistol or virgin (other) lower, just buy a virgin lower and start over. Last thing you want to find out is the stripped lower you bought used from a guy was actually purchased as a rifle on the 4473. (e.g. you use the pistol for a defensive use and during the investigation they trace it back to the original rifle 4473. oops.) I doubt it would happen, or that the prosecutor would be vindictive, but I'm too pretty for prison so I err on the side of extreme caution... and lowers are cheap. $100 or less to know I wont go to jail? OK!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

I didnít think to mention, this particular lower was from one of the INGO group buys. Pretty sure all these have been sold as ďotherĒ on 4473.
    As I understand what has been posted, I must have a pistol tube on my AR pistol as a rifle tube could accept a stock making it an SBR and no vertical foregrips.
    I have several complete ARs along with a few more complete uppers. I never picked up the tube, spring and buffer for this INGO lower as I had never decided how I was going to use it.

Thanks, Matt

User Info Menu

Not legal advice, but you can put a Bladetech on it. The buffer tubes have dimples and you tighten a set screw for length of pull. The blade can't be permanently affixed, which means you put blue locktite on the set screw and not red. I believe length of pull can't exceed 23", measured from the end of the blade to the trigger flat. You can put a Magpull angled forgrip on it, but not a vertical.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MontereyC6 View Post
    For an AR pistol, you need a pistol buffer tube. Basically a buffer tube that can't take a stock. An AR pistol falls on the same laws as carrying a pistol in Indiana. You need to have a LTCH. 3rd, yes, a SBR is regulated under NFA laws.
    Not completely true. If I remember, the SB4 goes on a regular mil spec buffer .

Bob

Keeper of the Hammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
    Not completely true. If I remember, the SB4 goes on a regular mil spec buffer .

Bob
    Could be possible., I have a 2nd generation.
    INGO Classified Ad Rules
    INGO Forum Rules
    Click here to become an INGO
    Click here if you are interested in advertising

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sigblitz View Post
    Not legal advice, but you can put a Bladetech on it. The buffer tubes have dimples and you tighten a set screw for length of pull. The blade can't be permanently affixed, which means you put blue locktite on the set screw and not red. I believe length of pull can't exceed 23", measured from the end of the blade to the trigger flat. You can put a Magpull angled forgrip on it, but not a vertical.
    This is mostly wrong.

You do not have to or even need to loctite your blade in position. I use them on my pistols for simplicity and have never had one loosen in use.

13.5 is the max lop for a pistol. Rear of brace to front flat of trigger. Longer and it can be called an sbr.

If your gun measures 26.5" in its smallest usable format you can use a vfg. This doesn't count muzzle devices unless they are welded. Brace must be all the way forward. If it does not require a buffer to operate you must measure to the back of the reciever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast