Suggestions for a "pistol" subgun for a can, if it ever gets out of jail.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got a gemtech blackside 45 can that's in jail and likely will be for the foreseeable future. I've got plenty of time to decide, but I've been kicking around different ideas. Easiest answer is getting it on a pistol that I already have but I've been thinking about something like a CZ scorpion micro pistol. While looking at all the options out there in 9mm, I was wondering if there was anything in 45acp.

Any suggestions for a simple and easy subgun to screw the can on when it gets here?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    why "for the forseeable future?" Form 4s have been going through in as little as 4 months according to Bobcat Armament. (for individuals, not trusts) It made me strongly consider buying a can finally now that the delays are not a year and a half or more like they were at one point.

https://www.facebook.com/BobcatArma...XzmayYx_5HHRU9pbFEc7oVjfJKGEfvQ&__tn__=EEHH-R

Nothing else to add except maybe a ray of hope for you.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I got my first can the old fashioned way and it was about 6 months or so. There's 3 in jail now with the silencershop trusts, and eventually I'll get them in my hands. Hopefully they do better on the processing times, but it sounds like 1 year is the new norm.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I'm a fan of the Scorpion Micro. I have an EVO myself, but not a micro, and I love it suppressed. I also have a can in jail that has been pending since February :(

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I have a Scorpion pistol as well, and it is a great suppressor host. Use a tri lug mount if you can to keep it from unthreading. If you already have an AR pistol lower, look at the CMMG products. You can buy a radial delay blowback 9mm pistol upper from them, or just buy the bolt carrier group and barrel package and build your own upper. They make PMAG conversion kits that let you swap the 5.56 guts for 9mm and hold 30 rounds of 9mm to feed the 9mm upper. They make .45 uppers as well, but I'm not sure if they are radial delay blowback or normal direct blowback operation.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have a Sig MPX in an SBR that is fun to shoot suppressed. I have a Gemtech Multimount that I use on it it, but am seriously thinking of putting a Sig can on it.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Stribog if you like 9mm
    20191019162341.jpg

Macon armory 45acp DI upper of you want a 45
    https://maconarmory.com/collections/direct-impingement

20181210170428.jpg

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a Scorpion pistol as well, and it is a great suppressor host. Use a tri lug mount if you can to keep it from unthreading. If you already have an AR pistol lower, look at the CMMG products. You can buy a radial delay blowback 9mm pistol upper from them, or just buy the bolt carrier group and barrel package and build your own upper. They make PMAG conversion kits that let you swap the 5.56 guts for 9mm and hold 30 rounds of 9mm to feed the 9mm upper. They make .45 uppers as well, but I'm not sure if they are radial delay blowback or normal direct blowback operation.

I have a cmmg mk45 and I love it! I SBR it and love it even more...and yes it’s a delayed blowback as well. I use an obsidian45 by rugged on it.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I’ve had a gen 1 MPX since they came out and really like it. Thing is a money pit though. I hadn’t heard of the Stribog until this thread and for the cost it’s tempting, cheaper than used Scorpions and definitely cheaper than a used MPX or B&T or Zenith or PTR and mags aren’t that bad of price.

just a shame there’s no 45 version

as for 45 options the Vector is always slick. If you have more patience and want a project a HK USC to UMP conversion would be mean. I was actually pretty set on doing one of those but kinda set on the LWRC SMG I think now.....just a project down the road

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I’ve had a gen 1 MPX since they came out and really like it. Thing is a money pit though. I hadn’t heard of the Stribog until this thread and for the cost it’s tempting, cheaper than used Scorpions and definitely cheaper than a used MPX or B&T or Zenith or PTR and mags aren’t that bad of price.

as for 45 options the Vector is always slick. If you have more patience and want a project a HK USC to UMP conversion would be mean. I was actually pretty set on doing one of those but kinda set on the LWRC SMG I think now.....just a project down the road

How is your MPX a money pit?

My MPX is my current favorite of my pistol caliber SBRs.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    How is your MPX a money pit?

My MPX is my current favorite of my pistol caliber SBRs.

Mainly accessories. The trigger blows so was first thing to replace (didn’t even bother to shoot it with the factory trigger). Then the weird gen 1 forearm upgrade to a Midwest Industries forearm. Plus 9 spare mags

then you know $200 To SBR it, then was of course obligated to get a dedicated can for it

It’s a fun money pit

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Mainly accessories. The trigger blows so was first thing to replace (didn’t even bother to shoot it with the factory trigger). Then the weird gen 1 forearm upgrade to a Midwest Industries forearm. Plus 9 spare mags

then you know $200 To SBR it, then was of course obligated to get a dedicated can for it 

It’s a fun money pit
    It's way cheaper than my UMP. :spend:

Im thinking the LWRC SMG will be next. With all the ump mags I already have, it would be foolish not to buy one, right?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It's way cheaper than my UMP. :spend:

Im thinking the LWRC SMG will be next. With all the ump mags I already have, it would be foolish not to buy one, right?

Makes sense to me. I like the SMG but need to handle one first before I can commit on adding it to the list

One thing that I’m curious on is running them suppressed. No testing with 3 lugs cause LWRC recommends running the cans with the Neilson device in it. I’d still want to 3 lug it to see if it’ll run right, I have a feeling with a light enough can there shouldn’t be any issue but never know

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Makes sense to me. I like the SMG but need to handle one first before I can commit on adding it to the list

One thing that I’m curious on is running them suppressed. No testing with 3 lugs cause LWRC recommends running the cans with the Neilson device in it. I’d still want to 3 lug it to see if it’ll run right, I have a feeling with a light enough can there shouldn’t be any issue but never know
    I played with one last week, and I liked it. I have a three lug on the MPX , and the MP5. Do they make a 3 lug for .45? I didn't want the ump flange on mine so I bought the threaded barrel for it when I SBRd it. It's 16x1M LH, so it matched the Kriss.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I played with one last week, and I liked it. I have a three lug on the MPX , and the MP5. Do they make a 3 lug for .45? I didn't want the ump flange on mine so I bought the threaded barrel for it when I SBRd it. It's 16x1M LH, so it matched the Kriss.

Silencerco offers 3 lug in .578x28 and m16x1lh

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

I'm a fan of the bog. I bought mine before the nonrecip model, but there are conversions. Still it doesn't bother me with a foregrip and the ergo on these lends itself to using one anyway.

The bog will also accept ar triggers with some shimming. Ilwt makes a 3lug barrel. Grandpower makes an AR buffer adapter. safetyharbor makes one as well, along with a pictinny stock adapter.

Downsides right now are all magazine related. We are really pushing for steel lipped mags. I hope that the massive sales numbers lead to some aftermarket support.

Grand power is trying to get the A3 into the us, but it is held up with the atf. It's supposed to be a roller delayed non recip handle, with an aluminum lower that accepts ar grips. No official is optimistic about a US debut anytime soon tho.

Top Bottom