Join INGunOwners For Free

User Info Menu

suppressor "pre treating?"

i've sent my suppressor (gemtech outback 2) back to gemtech/s&w for the "iou" upgrade (they change out your sealed k baffle's for a removable monocore) and i'm wondering if anybody pre treats their suppressors to make them easier to clean. ive heard that welding spatter spray makes muzzle breaks easier to clean and I was wondering if anybody uses that or something similar to make their cans easier to clean?

right now, I use a ultrasonic cleaner to clean some gun parts (I use lucas bore/ultra sonic cleaner) and I have good luck on smaller parts and even some bigger parts, yesterday I dropped the frame for my 22/45 in and it came out clean as a whistle!, and to clean my bcg, I just drop the whole thing in and run it for 8 minuets with heat, and just wipe it clean! (it does get pretty warm though!)

I know to use anti seize on the threads of the can to make it easier to disassemble, but what makes it easier to clean? being its a 22 can it'll get very dirty quickly!
    Never too many sigs in your safe!-mike4sigs

User Info Menu

Think soda blaster. Yup, plain old baking soda in a pressure vessel or modifies bead blaster. They are fussy about moisture as it will cause clumping/ caking. Very easy on the monocore yet will clean. I pretreat mine cans with shaving gel before firing. A lot quieter plus minty fresh!
    Naphtali Lodge 389 Kokomo, IN

Hard luck is my only luck...
    Not your average Korean Hillbilly
    Tactical Chia Pet
    2012 FXDF (Fatbob)

User Info Menu

Wait a Minute!

We are suppose to clean our CANS????
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

Hop

User Info Menu

I've never cleaned my Form 1 22LR can. It still sounds great but I'm kind of scared to look inside of it. I bet I'll need to use my shop press to get the baffles out.

I don't have any guns to use when shooting it though. Clean it? Meh, I'll wait until I can shoot it some more.

Revere's Riders Instructor - Master Rifle KD, Master Pistol

NRA Pistol instructor | NRA Rifle instructor | NRA RSO
    Classes and info here: https://www.reveresriders.org/

User Info Menu

update

i went to the range friday, ran the can on 2 pistols, two rifles, ran two hundred rounds thru it (cci standard, winchester m22, cci quiet) and took her home to clean, she was dirty, I ran it thru a 480 second cycle (with heat) in my ultra sonic cleaner with lucas bore/ultrasonic cleaner, and about 99.9 percent of the crud, crap and dirt was gone! I did use a brass brush and knocked off the last of it!!!

now before I did that, I noticed a bunch of crap/crud/unburnt powder at the rear of the mono core (near where threads are) so I pot some gunslick foaming bore cleaner on the back, and it removed some of the finish (looks like paint), before I put it back together I put some anti seize on the threads and a light coat all around the core, just so it doesn't freeze up and I can take it apart easier

I was about 80 yards out shooting broken clay pigeons (just making the pieces smaller and smaller till the disappeared) with cci standard velocity (ruger precision rimfire) when I decided to try some cci quiets (710 fps) and they dropped so much, I could barely see the impact thru the scope!

but the fun part was cci standard thru the can when it was on my s&w m&p22 pistol...everytime I shoot it...I giggle!...giggle like I did the first time I saw boobies!!!

Never too many sigs in your safe!-mike4sigs