Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Expert dudley0's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NyleRN View Post
    Sure. Just head down to your local hardware store and buy the same diameter flat washers that the suppressor came with. Then when you burn holes through them just repeat. There's probably no more than $20 in material in that can..
    Last I knew it was not legal for the end user to re-core the can unless they have the right license. Form 1 is not that option either.

  2. #12
    Master NyleRN's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by dudley0 View Post
    Last I knew it was not legal for the end user to re-core the can unless they have the right license. Form 1 is not that option either.
    It's debatable really. On a F1 you're the manufacturer, so naturally you should be able to repair your own can since you manufactured it. There's no language in NFA that states a F1 made suppressor cannot be repaired by the person who made it. Now any joe definitely can't repair another manufacturer's can

  3. #13
    Expert Ggreen's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NyleRN View Post
    It's debatable really. On a F1 you're the manufacturer, so naturally you should be able to repair your own can since you manufactured it. There's no language in NFA that states a F1 made suppressor cannot be repaired by the person who made it. Now any joe definitely can't repair another manufacturer's can
    You can't repair a form 1 can you built. You can't even replace wipes. The atf opinion letters are available. You're not technically a manufacturer unless you're FFL'd apprpriately, you're the builder so it is a different set of rules when it comes to repairs. Mainly that you are not allowed to do anything but assemble the can initially.

    Spare washers would be considered wipes and therefore suppressor parts, these are not user replaceable.

  4. #14
    Expert

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ggreen View Post
    Witt machine sells cans for everything under 500 with a stamp. Direct thread, kind of heavy, not top tier but they are good cans that won't break the bank. That is the cheapest I'd go. I've got 2. The 9mm can is a super can for a carbine, my 22 can is still waiting on a stamp
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but Witt Machines prices are very tempting. Any other INGO guys running them? How is the Dirty 30? Thinking for my Rem 700 .308 and 7.62X39 bolt gun.

  5. #15
    Master NyleRN's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Ggreen View Post
    You can't repair a form 1 can you built. You can't even replace wipes. The atf opinion letters are available. You're not technically a manufacturer unless you're FFL'd apprpriately, you're the builder so it is a different set of rules when it comes to repairs. Mainly that you are not allowed to do anything but assemble the can initially.

    Spare washers would be considered wipes and therefore suppressor parts, these are not user replaceable.
    Sorry man, dont believe that's correct. Show me the letter from the ATF that specifically states an individual as the manufacturer of the can cannot repair it. Also, you can replace wipes yourself. It has to be a 1 for 1. You cannot make and store spare parts. Even Dead Air has stated this

    ETA: I'm not telling anyone to just go and start rebuilding their own F1 cans. I'm just stating that to my knowledge there hasn't been any scrutiny given in regards to the maker of the F1 can doing a repair themselves
    Last edited by NyleRN; 2 Days Ago at 14:28.

  6. #16
    Expert Ggreen's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NyleRN View Post
    Sorry man, dont believe that's correct. Show me the letter from the ATF that specifically states an individual as the manufacturer of the can cannot repair it. Also, you can replace wipes yourself. It has to be a 1 for 1. You cannot make and store spare parts. Even Dead Air has stated this

    ETA: I'm not telling anyone to just go and start rebuilding their own F1 cans. I'm just stating that to my knowledge there hasn't been any scrutiny given in regards to the maker of the F1 can doing a repair themselves
    So some of it stems from the dead air letter that said only an FFL is allowed to replace a wipe. Defining all internals as suppressor parts making it illegal to have "spares" even if they are sacrificial.

    The atf considers makers different than manufacturers. Prince law has a great article I'll link. Key being makers are Not licensed manufacturers and form 1s aren't meant for R&D. Any repair or remanufacture should be done by an sot, because any repair requires owning suppressor parts. You cannot have spare baffles or parts for your form 1, legally.

    "Nevertheless, during a discussion on ATF-29p (ATF’s Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking relating to Silencer/Suppressor engravings), ATF’s Mike Curtis and Earl Griffith with the Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division (“FATD”) stated that ATF views “makers” of silencers/suppressors differently than “manufacturers.” Specifically, the example of solvent traps was brought up, where they stated that ATF’s position is that a “maker” of a silencer cannot replace a silencer part without filing a new Form 1, paying another $200.00 and obtaining approval from ATF; whereas, a manufacturer, may lawfully replace a silencer part in a silencer it manufactured, provided that the part that is being replaced is destroyed."

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.pr...ent-traps/amp/

  7. #17
    Master NyleRN's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    I've already previously read that from Josh. From that it most certainly sounds like repairing your own F1 is a no go, but also no one has challenged the ATF on it either. Josh was presuming that's the position they'd take if it ever came up in a court case. That was also in 2016. How many times have the changed their minds on pistol braces and wipes? Disclaimer: don't write the ATF asking for clarification

  8. #18
    Expert Ggreen's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NyleRN View Post
    I've already previously read that from Josh. From that it most certainly sounds like repairing your own F1 is a no go, but also no one has challenged the ATF on it either. Josh was presuming that's the position they'd take if it ever came up in a court case. That was also in 2016. How many times have the changed their minds on pistol braces and wipes? Disclaimer: don't write the ATF asking for clarification
    The wipe letter spelled out their stance IMHO. I'm not writing for clarification.


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Button Dodge