• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWAT153

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    I sent off my tax stamp for a suppressor back in August, I purchased a PO-BOY Suppressor which is waiting on me at my local gun shop. Does anyone have experience with this brand of suppressors? I only gave $200 for it and the reviews seem pretty good.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    It's made of basic washers. The blast baffle is the same material as the rest of the baffles which means it'll erode at a fast rate. Bad news is they're inexpensive cause they're extremely cheap made. Good thing is that the learning experience is only costing you $400 total, which could've been put towards a quality suppressor that will last you a lifetime. This is why you ask these questions BEFORE you make a purchase. Not trying to be harsh but honest

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Can they be rebuilt once they are shot out? I was interested in these as well.

Sure. Just head down to your local hardware store and buy the same diameter flat washers that the suppressor came with. Then when you burn holes through them just repeat. There's probably no more than $20 in material in that can. You'd actually be money ahead to just pay for a F1 stamp and go buy the same tube and flat washers for $20 and assemble it yourself

ETA: Or just save up an extra $130 and buy a YHM turbo with a lifetime warranty. And it's made of inconel and 17-4.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Sure. Just head down to your local hardware store and buy the same diameter flat washers that the suppressor came with. Then when you burn holes through them just repeat. There's probably no more than $20 in material in that can. You'd actually be money ahead to just pay for a F1 stamp and go buy the same tube and flat washers for $20 and assemble it yourself

ETA: Or just save up an extra $130 and buy a YHM turbo with a lifetime warranty. And it's made of inconel and 17-4.

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for my first suppressor and admittedly know very little about them.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Thanks for the reply. I am looking for my first suppressor and admittedly know very little about them.

Hey man, we all gotta start somewhere. It's good to ask questions and do your homework before spending your hard earned money. I know a lot people hate arfcom, but their silencer sub forum is a wealth of knowledge. Most of the guys posting over there have more money invested in stamps than most have in their whole gun collection

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Witt machine sells cans for everything under 500 with a stamp. Direct thread, kind of heavy, not top tier but they are good cans that won't break the bank. That is the cheapest I'd go. I've got 2. The 9mm can is a super can for a carbine, my 22 can is still waiting on a stamp

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

just start off with quality. Like a lot of people on here I started off with a Huntertown Guardian. Yeah it still works but if something happens I’m stuck with a $400 crappy paperweight.

you know that feeling you get after a while when it comes to guns, optics, and mounts? You tried the cheap route before and yeah it kinda worked but left you wanting more so you ended up spending money on something that will make you happy but already invested money into things that didn’t do the job as expected? Don’t let silencers be that

Buy quality and will last and will have support after the purchase

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Sure. Just head down to your local hardware store and buy the same diameter flat washers that the suppressor came with. Then when you burn holes through them just repeat. There's probably no more than $20 in material in that can..

Last I knew it was not legal for the end user to re-core the can unless they have the right license. Form 1 is not that option either.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Last I knew it was not legal for the end user to re-core the can unless they have the right license. Form 1 is not that option either.

It's debatable really. On a F1 you're the manufacturer, so naturally you should be able to repair your own can since you manufactured it. There's no language in NFA that states a F1 made suppressor cannot be repaired by the person who made it. Now any joe definitely can't repair another manufacturer's can

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    It's debatable really. On a F1 you're the manufacturer, so naturally you should be able to repair your own can since you manufactured it. There's no language in NFA that states a F1 made suppressor cannot be repaired by the person who made it. Now any joe definitely can't repair another manufacturer's can

You can't repair a form 1 can you built. You can't even replace wipes. The atf opinion letters are available. You're not technically a manufacturer unless you're FFL'd apprpriately, you're the builder so it is a different set of rules when it comes to repairs. Mainly that you are not allowed to do anything but assemble the can initially.

Spare washers would be considered wipes and therefore suppressor parts, these are not user replaceable.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Witt machine sells cans for everything under 500 with a stamp. Direct thread, kind of heavy, not top tier but they are good cans that won't break the bank. That is the cheapest I'd go. I've got 2. The 9mm can is a super can for a carbine, my 22 can is still waiting on a stamp

Don't mean to hijack this thread but Witt Machines prices are very tempting. Any other INGO guys running them? How is the Dirty 30? Thinking for my Rem 700 .308 and 7.62X39 bolt gun.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    You can't repair a form 1 can you built. You can't even replace wipes. The atf opinion letters are available. You're not technically a manufacturer unless you're FFL'd apprpriately, you're the builder so it is a different set of rules when it comes to repairs. Mainly that you are not allowed to do anything but assemble the can initially.

Spare washers would be considered wipes and therefore suppressor parts, these are not user replaceable.

Sorry man, dont believe that's correct. Show me the letter from the ATF that specifically states an individual as the manufacturer of the can cannot repair it. Also, you can replace wipes yourself. It has to be a 1 for 1. You cannot make and store spare parts. Even Dead Air has stated this

ETA: I'm not telling anyone to just go and start rebuilding their own F1 cans. I'm just stating that to my knowledge there hasn't been any scrutiny given in regards to the maker of the F1 can doing a repair themselves

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Sorry man, dont believe that's correct. Show me the letter from the ATF that specifically states an individual as the manufacturer of the can cannot repair it. Also, you can replace wipes yourself. It has to be a 1 for 1. You cannot make and store spare parts. Even Dead Air has stated this

ETA: I'm not telling anyone to just go and start rebuilding their own F1 cans. I'm just stating that to my knowledge there hasn't been any scrutiny given in regards to the maker of the F1 can doing a repair themselves

So some of it stems from the dead air letter that said only an FFL is allowed to replace a wipe. Defining all internals as suppressor parts making it illegal to have "spares" even if they are sacrificial.

The atf considers makers different than manufacturers. Prince law has a great article I'll link. Key being makers are Not licensed manufacturers and form 1s aren't meant for R&D. Any repair or remanufacture should be done by an sot, because any repair requires owning suppressor parts. You cannot have spare baffles or parts for your form 1, legally.

"Nevertheless, during a discussion on ATF-29p (ATF’s Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking relating to Silencer/Suppressor engravings), ATF’s Mike Curtis and Earl Griffith with the Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division (“FATD”) stated that ATF views “makers” of silencers/suppressors differently than “manufacturers.” Specifically, the example of solvent traps was brought up, where they stated that ATF’s position is that a “maker” of a silencer cannot replace a silencer part without filing a new Form 1, paying another $200.00 and obtaining approval from ATF; whereas, a manufacturer, may lawfully replace a silencer part in a silencer it manufactured, provided that the part that is being replaced is destroyed."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.p...-especially-in-relation-to-solvent-traps/amp/

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I've already previously read that from Josh. From that it most certainly sounds like repairing your own F1 is a no go, but also no one has challenged the ATF on it either. Josh was presuming that's the position they'd take if it ever came up in a court case. That was also in 2016. How many times have the changed their minds on pistol braces and wipes? Disclaimer: don't write the ATF asking for clarification :laugh:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've already previously read that from Josh. From that it most certainly sounds like repairing your own F1 is a no go, but also no one has challenged the ATF on it either. Josh was presuming that's the position they'd take if it ever came up in a court case. That was also in 2016. How many times have the changed their minds on pistol braces and wipes? Disclaimer: don't write the ATF asking for clarification :laugh:

The wipe letter spelled out their stance IMHO. I'm not writing for clarification.

Top Bottom