• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    All of the nfa groups I'm active in are reporting the same thing. Fuel filters bought from China (wish, Amazon, eBay, Walmart online, etc...) are being intercepted by dhs and cbp. Instead of getting the filter (popular for form 1 use) people are getting letters from gov agencies, many followed by visits from badged feds.

Do not get caught up in this. A lot of these China filters are drilled through making them legitimate ready made suppressors, and quite possibly turning you into a felon just for ordering.

There are many letters they are using once intercepted, the most simple is a xeroxed rough cut slip stating your item has been seized and a dhs visit may follow, up to a document pictured. And yes they do have officials knocking on doors and following up.

Attachments

• 78950675_3009962259022318_8400147791145336832_o.jpg
      78950675_3009962259022318_8400147791145336832_o.jpg
      281.6 KB · Views: 203

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    They are still just a fuel filter. Unless you put it on a gun. Then you'll have to get a stamp for your fuel filter. We wouldn't want any starving people to poach deer in the middle of the night.

:rolleyes:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good for Ggreen for putting out this warning to those of us who might seem temped!

That said, this is also a good reminder that we have an election coming next year. If we'd have had our :poop: together in 2017, we'd have concentrated on the Hearing Protection Act (and further silencer deregulation.) Gun owners didn't push hard enough and pushed for the wrong things when we had the advantage in congress.

There is no reason that we shouldn't be able to go to the gun store or even the big box store to pick up a suppressor that is competitively priced without ANY regulation or recording of personal information.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    They are still just a fuel filter. Unless you put it on a gun. Then you'll have to get a stamp for your fuel filter. We wouldn't want any starving people to poach deer in the middle of the night.

:rolleyes:

If someone orders one with a hole already drilled into it, obviously it's not going to filter fuel.

So an issue that has been floating around is that these filters were shipping drilled. They rarely ever say one way or the other in the description. The other issue is that cbp doesn't seem to care if it's drilled or not, they are intercepting them and sending notice to the buyer. This opens the individual up to arms trafficking issues that will cost at the very least a hefty defense bill.

The last guy I some with that got a visitor after the letter said it sad a customs agent, atf, and a local that showed up at his door. The glock giggle switch sting is over and it seems they have shifted to the filter arena.

Our lovely red flag laws could open the door for confiscation for anyone getting tangled up with these. And the few guys I know that wasted 200 form 1ing these dumpster fires Jane had issues from the threads not being concentric, the internals eroding to dust, threads stripping... Waste of 200 dollars for sure.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Drilling holes in my fuel filters?
    Sounds like a liability thing. Wouldn't that start an engine fire? :dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think the line between brave and stupid was probably crossed there. Could it have been the ATF's table?

In Indy? No. They already have plenty to do. They don't need to hunt over bait any more then ISP needs to put covers over the speed limit signs on I-465 to catch speeders. Gun store burglaries seems to be their main focus at the moment.

Whopperjaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2017
    North Manchester
    Hadn't ever heard of this before. Definitely not worth the risk. Just looked them up and I can see what the problem is after seeing them. They don't even look like a fuel filter.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Honestly, it makes me wonder why legit suppressors cost so much. I get that it's two opposite ends of the spectrum, but seriously. $1000 for $50 worth of machine work.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Honestly, it makes me wonder why legit suppressors cost so much. I get that it's two opposite ends of the spectrum, but seriously. $1000 for $50 worth of machine work.

These filters are made of cheap and dirty aluminum alloys. Good cans are made to last of verifiable materials. A few of these that have been form 1'd have had some spectacular fails. Material, machining, and R&D are all expensive.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    " $1000 for $50 worth of machine work."
    Not sure you could find those labor rates in China. Never mind here.

Top Bottom