• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Okay I’ll try to make this sweet and to the point. I have a trust set up with myself and my wife as trustees. Kids are beneficiaries. My wife could care less about guns and has no clue about any of this NFA stuff. Back in 15 when I set it up I could buy anything I wanted and put it in the trust without telling her. Now I’m told she would need to get a picture taken and fingerprints if I buy another NFA item. It’s going to make my life hell. Lol. My question is can I just buy an NFA item without using the trust and just put it in my own name or is that not a smart play? I’ve been out of the game for a few years and see some things have changed.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    You can definitely purchase NFA firearm personally instead of with the trust if you want.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation; my wife and I are the grantors of a trust that currently has two stamps (third pending). She is much less interested in firearms than I am.

I think the trust is still the best option. Because the trust is the owner, if I die before her, she doesn't have to do anything related to the guns. She can simply mourn for a while. We have a friend who is a NFA dealer who would help her in that situation, but I still want to make life as easy on her as possible even in terrible circumstances.

There are apps that make passport photos stupid easy, and you can just take her picture on your phone. Fingerprints are a bit more of a bother, but it really isn't much compared to what the hassle would be if you die before her.

I say stick with the trust.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    My wife hates doing fingerprints too. If you have a silencershop kiosk nearby, you can make things a lot easier. If you buy through silencershop, you can simply go to the kiosk and put your fingerprints in once, and they are stored for life. If you are near Avon, Parabellum has great hours and a Silencershop kiosk right when you walk in the door. If you aren't buying through silencershop, you can still use the kiosk for your prints and then call silencershop and they will send you fingerprint cards for $15 per set.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If she couldn't care less about the NFA stuff, just amend the trust and remove her as a responsible person but keep her as a beneficiary. After the stamp comes back (and you don't have any other pending stamps) just amend the trust back adding her as a responsible person if you wish

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    If she couldn't care less about the NFA stuff, just amend the trust and remove her as a responsible person but keep her as a beneficiary. After the stamp comes back (and you don't have any other pending stamps) just amend the trust back adding her as a responsible person if you wish

Yes that is a great idea. I think that might be the way to go. I think I just found my Huckleberry too. [h=1]CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S2 Pistol Micro w/ Brace and I will just file the paperwork to SBR it and use it the way it sits until then.[/h]

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    If you are going to SBR your Scorpion, make sure you Efile the Form 1 and it will come back in under a month. It will be 8 to 10 months on a paper Form 1.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Here's what I did...

I have two trusts. The first has nine people on it and it wasn't worth trying to get all the paperwork, so I created a second trust with just me. Sooner or later, I'll add others to the trust when I'm done buying. That way, it's easier to transfer to my children.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I’m going to need to do some research on filing anything. I’m used to just walking into copper customs and having them handle everything.

If you are going to SBR your Scorpion, make sure you Efile the Form 1 and it will come back in under a month. It will be 8 to 10 months on a paper Form 1.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I’ll probably get around to calling CZ but given the collapsible stock on the micro how hard is it to add an adjustable stock once the stamp comes though or a folding arm brace if I want to keep it a pistol and don’t care for the factory one on the micro

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville

I have two trusts. The first has nine people on it and it wasn't worth trying to get all the paperwork, so I created a second trust with just me. Sooner or later, I'll add others to the trust when I'm done buying. That way, it's easier to transfer to my children.

Does it cost to amend the form each time?

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I will most likely just file the paperwork to sbr it. I am not a fan of using pistol braces and I am more than confident that within the next year they will make shouldering them a NO NO again. Uncle Sam is losing too much money at $200 a crack and then I am sure one shooting with one will end it just like the bump. After that it so many people will be filling it will take forever to get approved. Going to jump out ahead of the crowd on it.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011

This is my basic plan, my trust has only me as a trustee. When I have accumulated what I think is "all" the NFA items I plan on buying* I will add my wife and another individual as trustees. No need to bother those people with prints, background check, photo, etc. At that point I will consider that trust closed and no longer purchase any more items under that trust.

*If I find I need more NFA items I will either amend the trust above to remove those trustees before the next purchase and then add them back afterwards, or more likely create an additional trust for the new items.

Silencer shop does something similar offering a trust to be drawn up for each individual item you buy. Really smart if you want to go that route and you have access to a convenient notary.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I considered this. Talked to the lawyer who did my trust and he advised against doing it too often as it could be considered a work around just like they say the trusts were before.

I dumped three more F1's on the trust before it all changed. Still have cans to build, but the paperwork is all done.

If (when) I decide to get more I might just take her off the responsible side. Honestly she doesn't take any of the NFA stuff out without me anyhow.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I considered this. Talked to the lawyer who did my trust and he advised against doing it too often as it could be considered a work around just like they say the trusts were before.

I dumped three more F1's on the trust before it all changed. Still have cans to build, but the paperwork is all done.

If (when) I decide to get more I might just take her off the responsible side. Honestly she doesn't take any of the NFA stuff out without me anyhow.

It is, absolutely, a work around. However, there's nothing illegal about doing it.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It is, absolutely, a work around. However, there's nothing illegal about doing it.

And that's why I doing it. I'm abiding by their rules, just like I was when I didn't need to submit any responsible person questionnaire. I'll play within their rules until something changes, until then game on and if I choose to have a 100 page trust compromised of 90 back and forth amendments......I will

Top Bottom