• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I'm looking to buy my first suppressor with part of my Christmas bonus this year. My only real question is will a suppressor for a 5.56 AR work on my fine on my 16" AR and my Ruger 22/45 lite? or is it preferred to go with a dedicated .22 suppressor and a dedicated AR suppressor?

I originally planned on just getting a .22 suppressor because they are cheaper and I will mainly be using it on my 22/45 lite. But the more I think about it, it would be nice to be able to run it on my AR as well.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    What you describe can be done, and has ben done by many folks. They all regretted it immediately. A can for a 5.56 will be super heavy on your .22 pistol and you’ll not enjoy shooting it at all. It’ll be quiet, but not enjoyable because of the weight. You’ll shoot the can on your 5.56 and realize it doesn’t quiet that AR down near as much as you’d expected, but it makes the pistol almost silent. Then you’ll be lamenting the decision you made and wishing you’d gotten a dedicated .22 can instead.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    ^^^What he said^^^

A dedicated .22 can is the best way to start out.

ETA: And buy a quality one, not the cheapest thing you can get. My first was a TAC-65 and it's still a pretty good can even with the advancements in suppressor design. The cheaper ones that were on the market at the time don't compare nearly as well performance-wise so I'm glad I didn't cheap out. The only downside to the TAC-65 is the aluminum baffles which limits what you can use for cleaning, but aluminum means the can is less expensive. .22 rimfire doesn't abuse baffles the way a centerfire caliber will, so they hold up fine in that application.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What you describe can be done, and has ben done by many folks. They all regretted it immediately. A can for a 5.56 will be super heavy on your .22 pistol and you’ll not enjoy shooting it at all. It’ll be quiet, but not enjoyable because of the weight. You’ll shoot the can on your 5.56 and realize it doesn’t quiet that AR down near as much as you’d expected, but it makes the pistol almost silent. Then you’ll be lamenting the decision you made and wishing you’d gotten a dedicated .22 can instead.
    Wise words.

Then once you fall in love with suppressors you can get a 300Blk AR and get another can for it. :):

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    You are on a slippery slope, my friend. It all starts with a .22LR can. Then you need one for your AR (go 30 cal as opposed to dedicated 5.56) . Then you want one for your pistol (9mm cans can also handle subsonic 300BLK). Or you can run a .45 ACP can on both 9mm and .45. Next thing you know you hav a drawer full of suppressors. But at least it is a fun journey!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Get a rimfire can first. Then get a 556 can, then a 30cal can, then a 45acp can, then a 9mm can, then another 30cal can, then.....

Welcome to the cult, ill be your guide

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Everybody should have at least 3 cans.
    .30 cal rifle
    .45acp
    .22 rimfire

With those 3, you can suppress the most common guns. That’s a good starting point.

Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Does a .45 cal can suppress a 9mm as much as a dedicated 9mm can? I too just recently started looking into the world of suppressors.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    My first can was a SilencerCo Hybrid - mainly for 308 bolt gun and AR's. Before I even picked it up from jail i had an Octane 45k in jail. Still no 22 can...yet...

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Does a .45 cal can suppress a 9mm as much as a dedicated 9mm can? I too just recently started looking into the world of suppressors.

Yes but no. 45 cans are big so they suppress 9mm well but not better than a good 9mm can that will be a good deal smaller. So on the picture as a whole a 45 can is acceptable and effective, but they are huge

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I would buy the suppressor that works with whatever caliber you shoot the most or enjoy shooting the most. I personally shoot my 9mm the most and my 30 cal is a close second.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    You are on a slippery slope, my friend. It all starts with a .22LR can. Then you need one for your AR (go 30 cal as opposed to dedicated 5.56) . Then you want one for your pistol (9mm cans can also handle subsonic 300BLK). Or you can run a .45 ACP can on both 9mm and .45. Next thing you know you hav a drawer full of suppressors. But at least it is a fun journey!

I pretty much did this exactly. YHM Stinger .22 on my .22/45 and Ruger Precision rimfire. So much fun to hear the bullets thump dirt vs the crack of supersonics. Then a YHM phantom in .30 cal for my AR's and later .300 blk and .308's. Then a Rugged Obsidian .45 for the 9mm and .300blk subsonics. And now a dedicated .223 for the 10" SBR. Once you get one ordered, just place the order for the next one. Then in a year when it finally clears you'll have another toy!

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Thanks for the input guys, I'll go back to my original thinking and probably end up going with the SilencerCo sparrow 22

I have the SS version of the Sparrow as well as the cheaper warlock. They are both light and work great on the Pistol you are talking about. My 5.56 is way too heavy and wrong thread pitch too. The Sparrow is cooler since you can run it though way more calibers too

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I decided the dead air Mask will be my first. Followed by a 9/45 can and then supersonic rifle.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    There's no short answer, because things change.

It all depends on how much do you shoot on each caliber and what your intended use for them.

22LR is low pressure, low velocity, which can be built with softer materials at lower volume. All 22 cans need to be disassembled periodically for cleaning, rimfire rounds can pack up a can with very fast.

223/5.56 is high pressure, high velocity round, requires higher alloy and bigger volume cans. But, 556 is LOUD, will always be LOUD.

I have 4 556 cans, because back then that's 90% of all the shooting I did.

I later bought 2 22 cans and the 3rd is pending. Ever since my boy started shooting last year, 80% of time I'm at the range, we are shooting 22's.

My suggestion is, get the SilencerCo Hybrid.
    IMG_7724.jpg

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Yes but no. 45 cans are big so they suppress 9mm well but not better than a good 9mm can that will be a good deal smaller. So on the picture as a whole a 45 can is acceptable and effective, but they are huge

I’m curious about these “huge” .45 cans? What .45 can is any bigger than its 9mm counterpart? Most seem to be built on the same tubes as the 9mms. The only difference I saw, with a quick google search, was an inch difference in the “K” configuration on some.

Top Bottom