Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

First suppressor suggestions

I'm looking to buy my first suppressor with part of my Christmas bonus this year. My only real question is will a suppressor for a 5.56 AR work on my fine on my 16" AR and my Ruger 22/45 lite? or is it preferred to go with a dedicated .22 suppressor and a dedicated AR suppressor?

I originally planned on just getting a .22 suppressor because they are cheaper and I will mainly be using it on my 22/45 lite. But the more I think about it, it would be nice to be able to run it on my AR as well.

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !

User Info Menu

What you describe can be done, and has ben done by many folks. They all regretted it immediately. A can for a 5.56 will be super heavy on your .22 pistol and you’ll not enjoy shooting it at all. It’ll be quiet, but not enjoyable because of the weight. You’ll shoot the can on your 5.56 and realize it doesn’t quiet that AR down near as much as you’d expected, but it makes the pistol almost silent. Then you’ll be lamenting the decision you made and wishing you’d gotten a dedicated .22 can instead.
    VUPDblue's Rule #1: Don't be a jerk.

Marion County Fish and Game.Central Indiana's best shooting
    sports facility!

Rules of the INGO Classifieds

INGO rules of conduct

INGO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

User Info Menu

^^^What he said^^^

A dedicated .22 can is the best way to start out.

ETA: And buy a quality one, not the cheapest thing you can get. My first was a TAC-65 and it's still a pretty good can even with the advancements in suppressor design. The cheaper ones that were on the market at the time don't compare nearly as well performance-wise so I'm glad I didn't cheap out. The only downside to the TAC-65 is the aluminum baffles which limits what you can use for cleaning, but aluminum means the can is less expensive. .22 rimfire doesn't abuse baffles the way a centerfire caliber will, so they hold up fine in that application.
    Last edited by AmmoManAaron; 12-17-2019 at 10:46.
    "2016: The year that hackers became more trusted than government or reporters."

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input guys, I'll go back to my original thinking and probably end up going with the SilencerCo sparrow 22

Plinker

User Info Menu

I wish I had a "Dead Air Mask".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiWBaizCf3Y

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !

User Info Menu

You won’t regret it. I have 4 .22 cans and I regret nothing. Lol.
    VUPDblue's Rule #1: Don't be a jerk.

Marion County Fish and Game.Central Indiana's best shooting
    sports facility!

Rules of the INGO Classifieds

INGO rules of conduct

INGO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

KLB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VUPDblue View Post
    What you describe can be done, and has ben done by many folks. They all regretted it immediately. A can for a 5.56 will be super heavy on your .22 pistol and you’ll not enjoy shooting it at all. It’ll be quiet, but not enjoyable because of the weight. You’ll shoot the can on your 5.56 and realize it doesn’t quiet that AR down near as much as you’d expected, but it makes the pistol almost silent. Then you’ll be lamenting the decision you made and wishing you’d gotten a dedicated .22 can instead.
    Wise words.

Then once you fall in love with suppressors you can get a 300Blk AR and get another can for it.
    They shouldn't just drop a hellfire missile on your café experience...Rand Paul

ACC
    Expert

User Info Menu

You are on a slippery slope, my friend. It all starts with a .22LR can. Then you need one for your AR (go 30 cal as opposed to dedicated 5.56) . Then you want one for your pistol (9mm cans can also handle subsonic 300BLK). Or you can run a .45 ACP can on both 9mm and .45. Next thing you know you hav a drawer full of suppressors. But at least it is a fun journey!

User Info Menu

Get a rimfire can first. Then get a 556 can, then a 30cal can, then a 45acp can, then a 9mm can, then another 30cal can, then.....

Welcome to the cult, ill be your guide

User Info Menu

Everybody should have at least 3 cans.
    .30 cal rifle
    .45acp
    .22 rimfire

With those 3, you can suppress the most common guns. That’s a good starting point.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast