Sig 7.62 Suppressor - are all rifle calibers sealed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Held one at the 1500... really liked it. Not pretty, but light and seems functional. Reviews?

Also wondering if there are more user serviceable rifle calibers? Talking with the guy, he said higher cartridge suppressors are typically sealed as they have to take more recoil... on one hand that seems a pain to clean, but on the other I had never considered one coming loose... but with shooting .300 BLK supersonic it would put some energy into the can for sure. How hard are those things to truly clean? Do they get heavy?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Look up the SilencerCo Hybrid. It will handle most rifle calibers and can be cleaned.

The Hybrid is not user serviceable. But technically yes it can he cleaned. All sealed suppressors could be cleaned with ultra sonic. The manufacturer could clean it and put a fresh coat of paint or cerakote on it

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Griffin Optimus is another that can be taken apart and cleaned. I took mine apart after about 1000 rounds and it wasn't really worth the effort.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    User serviceable is highly overrated for a center fire rifle can. No idea why people focus on it. Unless you’re running it on a machine gun or shooting lead bullets there’s nothing really inside to clean outside of carbon but most will never shoot it enough for the carbon to become an issue. Keep the QD system clean and just shoot

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    User serviceable is highly overrated for a center fire rifle can. No idea why people focus on it. Unless you’re running it on a machine gun or shooting lead bullets there’s nothing really inside to clean outside of carbon but most will never shoot it enough for the carbon to become an issue. Keep the QD system clean and just shoot

What he said.

Another advantage of the Sig system: Tubeless design. So if there's a mishap / baffle strike - all that's needed to repair it is to chop off the damaged bits and re-weld new baffles onto it. Done by Sig, of course. There's no outter tube to be destroyed - which means the whole can is now useless. On Sig cans, the serial # is etched into the exterior of the blast baffle - highly unlikely to sustain a baffle strike. I do not believe Sig is the only one doing this, either.

And you can get Sig cans in either direct-thread or QD.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Another thing to note about Sig suppressors. They are revamping their entire line on suppressors and going to 3D printing with new taper mounts. And my understanding they will not be backwards compatible. Might be a good idea to see how much support you'll have with the older suppressors now.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    User serviceable is not necessary. Quality center fire cans should be good for 50,000+ rounds. If you can afford the ammo, you can afford a new can.

Tubeless is good, less weight is better.

My Sig SRD7.62TI has been great. But I also haven’t seen any huge advantage over some less expensive cans (YHM Resonator), although my Sig can has ridden on some rifles producing dang awesome accuracy. Not sure if cheaper cans can do that too.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Another thing to note about Sig suppressors. They are revamping their entire line on suppressors and going to 3D printing with new taper mounts. And my understanding they will not be backwards compatible. Might be a good idea to see how much support you'll have with the older suppressors now.

That is not what I'd like to hear...

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Id stay away from sig cans based on their known accuracy issues. Lots of threads and discussions on them opening groups by an inch or more on prs sites and pages.

Sealed cans are the preferred centerfire can. It takes millions of slow for rounds to fill one up.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I wouldn't want a serviceable rifle can. It'd just make it heavier and not as strong. You really don't need to clean them, shooting supers through them is all that's needed to keep them going. Just don't pump rimfire or lead projectiles through them and you'll be fine. Even pistols cans don't really need cleaned. Rimfire is about it.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I wouldn't recommend investing in the SRD can unless you get one for stupid cheap like I did. The QD mount supply has been slim to none here lately, especially the 762 1/2-28 mounts. I think these cans have been out for quite some time now. Nyle was right about the new cans, I got an email yesterday from Sig with their new 2020 catalog and they have revamped their rifle and pistol caliber suppressors. All new suppressors and all new mounts.

That being said, I am more than happy with my SRD762ti-QD suppressor and have more mounts than I probably need, so if I run across another crazy good deal on a 2nd one I'll probably get it. I have not experienced any accuracy issues like previously mentioned, but that's just my experience and YMMV.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I wouldn't recommend investing in the SRD can unless you get one for stupid cheap like I did. The QD mount supply has been slim to none here lately, especially the 762 1/2-28 mounts. I think these cans have been out for quite some time now. Nyle was right about the new cans, I got an email yesterday from Sig with their new 2020 catalog and they have revamped their rifle and pistol caliber suppressors. All new suppressors and all new mounts.

That being said, I am more than happy with my SRD762ti-QD suppressor and have more mounts than I probably need, so if I run across another crazy good deal on a 2nd one I'll probably get it. I have not experienced any accuracy issues like previously mentioned, but that's just my experience and YMMV.

Silencerco ASR mounts have been hit or miss for the past few months now, have a lot of friends running .338 5/8x24 on .30 cal rifles and 9mm 1/2x28 on 5.56 cause trying to find the "correct" pairing has been impossible the past few months....and the ASR mount isn't going any where. Sometimes mounts just dry up for a little bit (Gemtech bi lock and some cheaper AAC 51T mounts come to mind too)

I bet Sig will continue to make those mounts or at least for a while so a good supply will be available. I have a couple Silencerco Sakers and Silencerco flat out said they don't plan on making any more Saker mounts so what's out there is out there

Sheepdog103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Thanks all... that's super helpful with understanding the service life and etc. Now just to figure out the thread pitch on this barrell... would prefer a direct thread vs QD mount.

What he said.

Another advantage of the Sig system: Tubeless design. So if there's a mishap / baffle strike - all that's needed to repair it is to chop off the damaged bits and re-weld new baffles onto it. Done by Sig, of course. There's no outter tube to be destroyed - which means the whole can is now useless. On Sig cans, the serial # is etched into the exterior of the blast baffle - highly unlikely to sustain a baffle strike. I do not believe Sig is the only one doing this, either.

And you can get Sig cans in either direct-thread or QD.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Thanks all... that's super helpful with understanding the service life and etc. Now just to figure out the thread pitch on this barrell... would prefer a direct thread vs QD mount.

What gun and caliber? Unless it's a comblock gun or big bore it'll be either 1/2×28 or 5/8×24

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Id stay away from sig cans based on their known accuracy issues. Lots of threads and discussions on them opening groups by an inch or more on prs sites and pages.

Sealed cans are the preferred centerfire can. It takes millions of slow for rounds to fill one up.
    Not saying you’re wrong, but such has not been my experience with my Sig can. I shot the best group of my life with it, a 5 shot .35moa group. Seems accurate to me.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Not saying you’re wrong, but such has not been my experience with my Sig can. I shot the best group of my life with it, a 5 shot .35moa group. Seems accurate to me.

There are multiple threads on it over at sh. Some sig cans may be better than others but they are basically blacklisted by the prs crowd. A picky lot, but when you're spending near thunderbeast money you expect that precision.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven

There are multiple threads on it over at sh. Some sig cans may be better than others but they are basically blacklisted by the prs crowd. A picky lot, but when you're spending near thunderbeast money you expect that precision.
    I think I'd be having a conversation with Sig if my can was causing major accuracy issues like what you're saying. I'm definitely not seeing those issues with mine.

*my one flier with the 62gr Hornady was user error before anyone attempts to blame the suppressor

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I think I'd be having a conversation with Sig if my can was causing major accuracy issues like what you're saying. I'm definitely not seeing those issues with mine.

*my one flier with the 62gr Hornady was user error before anyone attempts to blame the suppressor

attachment.php

attachment.php

It was conversation that got posted from sig that sparked some rage. They refused warranty repair and called it a poi issue. Said it was normal for groups to open with a suppressor

Top Bottom