• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    This years tax return is going straight to a suppressor , host will be a 10in 5.56 AR Pistol. I am asking for suggestions, price range is $500-$800 on the suppressor itself. I've read that a 30 cal can will work with 5.56 however in your opinions is it better to go with a sole 5.56 rated can for the best sound reduction ? I'm hoping to keep the overall length as short as possible shooting for a 4-6 in can if that factors in. Also this is my first class 3.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If sound suppression and length is the ultimate goal then stick with 556 can. But since 556 is incredibly loud anyways and you're putting it on a 10.5, then you won't be losing much by going 30 cal. You'll have less back pressure with a 30 cal. I suggest the Turbo T2 or Resonator R2. Cost to value ratio is very good with those 2 cans. I have a Sico ASR saker 556k and it suppresses my 11.5 VERY well for it's size, but it can get gassy in a hurry when you start to bear down on the trigger. The adjustable gas block does help quite a bit.

NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    Watched a review on the Turbo T2, I am liking it just from that video. Will certainly do more research on it as I've always liked YHM. Appreciate the suggestion!

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I have a silencerco 30 cal omega that i transfer around on most of my rifles. I shoot it on a 5.56, 6.5CM, and .308. It performs very well, and overall i am very happy with silencerco. I liked them so much i have an omega 9k in jail...

I would suggest the 30 cal vs dedicated 5.56 if you have any plans for any other use besides 5.56. If you only have a rifle chambered in 5.56 or lower, then youd be fine with the 5.56. My buddy has a huntertown arms dedicated 5.56 and my 30 cal silencerco omega is quieter.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    I have a Yankee Hill 5.56 on my 16 inch Colt M4 and it is absolutley fantastic. The sound reduction is approx 35db and it is very comfortable to shoot without hearing protection outdoors. It doesnt add much weight to the end of the weapon and it is right in the $500 dollar mark

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If size matters I don't think you can beat a Witt machine canooter. On my 11.5 shooting 556 it's as quiet as a 17hmr. It is small

20200117171104.jpg

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Don't mean to threadjack, but I'm also looking to supress my AR. Mine is just a standard 16 inch carbine though, nothing special. My question is will i need an adjustable gas block to run a suppressor? I do plan on going with a 30 Cal can.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Don't mean to threadjack, but I'm also looking to supress my AR. Mine is just a standard 16 inch carbine though, nothing special. My question is will i need an adjustable gas block to run a suppressor? I do plan on going with a 30 Cal can.

Nope. It will be a bit gassy though.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If size matters I don't think you can beat a Witt machine canooter. On my 11.5 shooting 556 it's as quiet as a 17hmr. It is small

20200117171104.jpg

I believe that to be mis-information. There's zero independent metering data on that can. There's no way a suppressor that small, 4" long and 1 1/8 diameter will have enough volume to get you at 17hmr levels. Come on man really? 17hmr suppressed is 118 to 123 at the ear. No 556 11.5 will be that quiet. Nice looking gun though

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I believe that to be mis-information. There's zero independent metering data on that can. There's no way a suppressor that small, 4" long and 1 1/8 diameter will have enough volume to get you at 17hmr levels. Come on man really? 17hmr suppressed is 118 to 123 at the ear. No 556 11.5 will be that quiet. Nice looking gun though

I've literally got this can and shot with it at least once a week. I didn't say 17 suppressed I said as quiet as 17hmr. The only real noise with this can on a short barrel is the noticeable crack. It's comfortable to shoot all day long with no ear pro, no after ringing. I compare our to the 17 because they both carry a good crack, but no bang. 17 can even get a little uncomfortable while a 556 with the canooter is easy on the ears.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Look at many options yet OP? There aren't any 556 cans out there that I absolutely love. The surefire is popular for obvious reasons but I'm not blown away by it or anything. GSL has one I shot at Terre Haute Guns silencer shoot that I was impressed with but I am still waiting to jump in on another 556 can. If budget is a concern as someone suggested the YHM cans are great. So while I'm not helping by recommending something to consider is buying a 30 cal can that has removable/changeable end caps. I have a flash hiding 556 end cap on the end of my 30can Dead Air sandman that sees a lot of 556 use. Haven't noticed back pressure being bad and it cut down on flash at night which was my main concern (night vision use). Just another option and then you can use it for other stuff and buy a 556 can for your next rifle silencer purchase.

Dmac22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    COLUMBUS
    I would suggest looking at Dead Air or Rugged offerings. In my shooting they have always came out on the top in regarding to tone, volume, POI shift, etc. both companies build great cans.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    5.56 is loud even with a suppressor. I typically run plugs and muffs unsuppressed and plug or muffs suppressed. I've got an GA Optimus and a YHM Ti Phantom (5.56) that sound about the same, my buddy has a Surefire 5.56 (I think) and it was a little louder than my two cans but pretty close.

NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    Look at many options yet OP? There aren't any 556 cans out there that I absolutely love. The surefire is popular for obvious reasons but I'm not blown away by it or anything. GSL has one I shot at Terre Haute Guns silencer shoot that I was impressed with but I am still waiting to jump in on another 556 can. If budget is a concern as someone suggested the YHM cans are great. So while I'm not helping by recommending something to consider is buying a 30 cal can that has removable/changeable end caps. I have a flash hiding 556 end cap on the end of my 30can Dead Air sandman that sees a lot of 556 use. Haven't noticed back pressure being bad and it cut down on flash at night which was my main concern (night vision use). Just another option and then you can use it for other stuff and buy a 556 can for your next rifle silencer purchase.

Still researching, the YHM turbo k 2 is catching my attention , my favorite has been the surefire Socom mini but its on the pricy side for the numbers it produces , not an expert but just off youtube thats why I've seen. Gonna try to get my hands on some in the next month to better make a decision.

NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    5.56 is loud even with a suppressor. I typically run plugs and muffs unsuppressed and plug or muffs suppressed. I've got an GA Optimus and a YHM Ti Phantom (5.56) that sound about the same, my buddy has a Surefire 5.56 (I think) and it was a little louder than my two cans but pretty close.

Yeah I realize it won't be super quite , but already invested into 5.56 and really don't want another caliber , saying that 300 Blackout is super super quite.

CPblaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    I just purchased my first 5.56 suppressor - a Knights QDSS-NT4. Hopefully, the Form 4 process won't be as long as it has been on the last few items. Have zero experience with other 5.56 cans on the market, but do have experience with other KAC suppressors that I own (Mark 23 pistol, 7.62 QDC). While very expensive, I find the solid build quality and lack of moving/removable parts to be totally worth the premium. It's nice being able to shoot the crap out of my Mark 23 without having any piston retaining nuts backing out or anything like that... hope to have the same type of experience with this 5.56 offering!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Witnessed POI change 3 inches to the right At 25yrds with a suppressed MPX this morning at the range. Is this consistent across the industry?

Top Bottom