• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I’m interested in a 22 can and notice the prices really vary. What is the difference between a $200 vs $500 suppressor for a 22? I can easily be talked into paying for more, I’m just not sure what features I should be looking for. Thanks!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Materials and design.

Are the parts aluminum, steel, titanium, carbon fiber?
    How effective is it?
    Modular?

I went full titanium with the KGMade Swarm. Ballpark of $350-375, I don’t remember anymore. I’ve been very nappy with it.

If I buy another, it will most likely be the CGS Siren (which a carbon fiber tube with aluminum barrels) or the Energetic Armament NYX (which is all titanium again).

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Ive got a TBAC 22 Takedown still waiting in jail, one of the more expensive rimfire cans out there. What sold me on it was that it was mostly Titanium with stainless in the stress points, and is rated for all rimfire cartridges. I figured if im going to wait a year, i want the best quality and most versatile rimfire can i can get. I was also told by someone very knowledgeable that the difference between good and great rimfire cans is how they handle the other rimfire cartridges, such as .17HMR, .22WMR and such.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've got a thunderbeast 22td. Stainless baffles, titanium tube. Rimfire cans require a lot of Maintenance compared to centerfire, so I don't really see aluminum as an option. Rimfire tends to be my most used can

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I've got a thunderbeast 22td. Stainless baffles, titanium tube. Rimfire cans require a lot of Maintenance compared to centerfire, so I don't really see aluminum as an option. Rimfire tends to be my most used can
    Agreed. Also if I may add that there's a nice benefit to having shielded or skirted baffles for ease of baffle removal. Definitely shy away from aluminum baffles.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Definitely shy away from aluminum baffles.

I've been down this road. I have 1 100% aluminum .22 suppressor. It was a ***** to disassemble and ATTEMPT to clean it. My fault on both accounts - as I neglected to disassemble it and clean it for about 8 years. I'm not a high volume shooter, though... But I did have to pay the manufacturer for a spa treatment and a few replacement baffles...

The other .22 suppressor I have is 100% stainless steel and modular. Rugged Oculus. It'll clean up MUCH nicer when the time comes. Plus I can actually use real solvents to help clean it vs. not being able to with the aluminum.

The Rugged was kind of an impulse buy. If I'd taken my time more, I may have ended up with a Thompson Machine Horizon or a Q-erector. Still aluminum intensive - but the design would make for SUPER easy cleaning. Cleaning that could be done after every outing. That'd help with the maintenance. Plus they look damned cool.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I’m interested in a 22 can and notice the prices really vary. What is the difference between a $200 vs $500 suppressor for a 22? I can easily be talked into paying for more, I’m just not sure what features I should be looking for. Thanks!

Modular #1...be able to take it apart to clean it.
    Material#2....get one rated for full auto fire...you may never attach it to an MG with a 22 conversion but it can handle anything, everything a semi can throw at it.

MY opinion anyway, I made the mistake of getting one years ago that is aluminum and not modular....it's a fun toy but a PITA to clean and can't attach it to anything fun or it will probably melt lol.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Modular #1...be able to take it apart to clean it.
    Material#2....get one rated for full auto fire...you may never attach it to an MG with a 22 conversion but it can handle anything, everything a semi can throw at it.

MY opinion anyway, I made the mistake of getting one years ago that is aluminum and not modular....it's a fun toy but a PITA to clean and can't attach it to anything fun or it will probably melt lol.

You bought a 22 can that isn’t user serviceable?

The modular cans (ability to be short or long) won’t be any easier to clean than non-modular cans.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    You bought a 22 can that isn’t user serviceable?

The modular cans (ability to be short or long) won’t be any easier to clean than non-modular cans.

Apparently my understanding of modular differs from the norm....

By modular I meant you can't take it apart...it's a 1 piece sealed unit....that has both end caps permanently attached.

Only way to clean is fill with fluid and shake it. Oy!

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Apparently my understanding of modular differs from the norm....

By modular I meant you can't take it apart...it's a 1 piece sealed unit....that has both end caps permanently attached.

Only way to clean is fill with fluid and shake it. Oy!

I would agree, that’s a terrible design.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Indeed...I got it years ago...made by AAC...so it's good quality, just a PITA and it's all aluminum, Not rated for FA.

BTW like the name, I'm a long time Pilot/CFI myself. :)

Thanks, it’s not quite what you think though. The name came from an r/c airplane I had year ago. I’ve just reused the name over and over. It’s kinda funny now though, I’m a miserable flyer. Don’t like having my feet off the ground. :):

I don’t find aluminum that bad. It’s light and holds up to majority of people’s 22 use without an issue. Pick the right cleaning method and even that part isn’t bad.

The can I have now can do full auto (IV8888 tried it on a meltdown) and all the rimfires and I believe 5.7x28. It’s been on a 17HMR once and the rest is all 22LR. I went titanium because I like titanium. I’ve thought about getting the CGS Siren, carbon fiber tube and aluminum baffles. It will stand up to anything I could ever throw at it.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Thanks, it’s not quite what you think though. The name came from an r/c airplane I had year ago. I’ve just reused the name over and over. It’s kinda funny now though, I’m a miserable flyer. Don’t like having my feet off the ground. :):

I don’t find aluminum that bad. It’s light and holds up to majority of people’s 22 use without an issue. Pick the right cleaning method and even that part isn’t bad.

The can I have now can do full auto (IV8888 tried it on a meltdown) and all the rimfires and I believe 5.7x28. It’s been on a 17HMR once and the rest is all 22LR. I went titanium because I like titanium. I’ve thought about getting the CGS Siren, carbon fiber tube and aluminum baffles. It will stand up to anything I could ever throw at it.

Ah! well it's still a cool name! I think your right Titanium is the way to go in the future for me...

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ah! well it's still a cool name! I think your right Titanium is the way to go in the future for me...

I like titanium. I particularly like the weight aspect, that’s really why I bought it. My wife has a 4” Browning BuckMark and you can’t feel the can on the end of it. It just disappears.

90% of what I buy is dependent on how it all balances though and having a can change that drove me crazy when I looking at them.

bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    We've all heard the saying "you get what you pay for" and there's a reason for that. With a rimfire suppressor, I think balance is the key. I went with the Q El Camino because of the materials, size, weight, and performance. It's not the most expensive but not the cheapest either. It met my needs without pushing me into a price i wasn't comfortable paying. All in all, I would suggest paying a little more for something that is built to last. Being able to take it apart to clean is key in my opinion.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    All very helpful. I hadn’t considered how weight affects balance while shooting. Clearly titanium/cf win here. Ability to disassemble also seems good to have.

Aluminum has me a bit confused...if I can take it apart, and I’m not a high volume shooter, and it balances to my liking, am I good to go, or does the aluminum still make life difficult w cleanup?

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Aluminum just isn’t as easy to clean as you can’t be as aggressive with it like you can with others. There are a lot of people using aluminum cans that are perfectly happy with their choices.

I will be buying a soda blaster this year to handle cleaning my can.

It will really come down to your preferences for which can you buy. Have you handled any 22 cans yet?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    All very helpful. I hadn’t considered how weight affects balance while shooting. Clearly titanium/cf win here. Ability to disassemble also seems good to have.

Aluminum has me a bit confused...if I can take it apart, and I’m not a high volume shooter, and it balances to my liking, am I good to go, or does the aluminum still make life difficult w cleanup?

The headache with cleaning aluminum is the fact that a great deal many cleaning solvents aren't all that friendly to aluminum if you're really after dissolving/removing lead and carbon. I imagine there are ways to mitigate the deposition of those things in the first place (Like maybe applying a thin coat of aluminum-safe grease or something). Or getting it cleaned soon after using so the recent deposits don't "set".

Plusses and minuses to all of them. Just need to find one where the plusses outweigh the minuses - or the minuses aren't all that big of a deal to you.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Aluminum just isn’t as easy to clean as you can’t be as aggressive with it like you can with others. There are a lot of people using aluminum cans that are perfectly happy with their choices.

I will be buying a soda blaster this year to handle cleaning my can.

It will really come down to your preferences for which can you buy. Have you handled any 22 cans yet?

I have not handled any yet, other than looking at many through the case. I’m absolutely shocked at how little many guys behind the counter actually know about their merchandise. When I ask questions, their typical answers tell me “it’s titanium/cf/alum” or “this one is a better brand”. Not super helpful, especially since I don’t have much idea what I’m looking at. This thread has been very helpful.

Top Bottom