• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I finally ordered my first suppressor which is for .22LR and now I'm looking for a 9mm can and what I'd like may or may not exist. Take it easy on me and teach me the correct parts/system names if need be.

I'd like to use it on Glocks and on an AR9.

Ideally I'd like the normal direct thread and piston setup for the pistols and a QD mount for the AR9. Are there cans made that allow for both types of adapters to accomplish this? If I have to go direct thread on both, does it hurt to use the piston/spring setup on the AR9?

Light weight and little to no aluminum in the construction is a plus.

Educate me please. Thanks.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Use 3 lug on the AR9. Boosters are no go on fixed barrels. Can't go wrong with the Rugged Obsidian. You'll get 10 different people telling you different cans to buy. Most likely they'll recommend what they have. It's one way for them to validate their purchase. And no, I don't own an Obsidian. But they're definitely one the better handgun suppressors out there

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The short answer is yes, almost all production 9mm and .45acp cans will allow for what you are looking to do.

the qd Mount most commonly used in a 9mm su Gun set up up is the HK 3 lug. The Mount will automatically bypass the piston system and make the can fixed in the booster section.

rule of the Thumb is, if the barrel moves, you need a spring and piston. If the barrel is fixed you need to make the piston system rigid by adding a spacer or QD Mount.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found Rugged's "Pistol Suppressor Attachments Guide" and it is starting my education.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a rugged obsidian 45 I use for my hand guns in 9mm and 45acp which used direct thread with booster. I also use it on my CMMG mkg45 and cz scorpion 9mm; they both use direct thread as well but I remove spring in booster and use rugged’s fixed barrel spacer in place of spring. Works great on handguns and rifles. Another benefit of rugged obsidian is that it is also modular so you can have smaller lighter can for your hand gun if you prefer.

Dmac22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    COLUMBUS
    I would 2nd anything Rugged. I don’t have one of their cans but I have been involved in testing many cans over the years and they have always been one of my favorites. Tough as nails. They make a great product.

Use 3 lug on the AR9. Boosters are no go on fixed barrels. Can't go wrong with the Rugged Obsidian. You'll get 10 different people telling you different cans to buy. Most likely they'll recommend what they have. It's one way for them to validate their purchase. And no, I don't own an Obsidian. But they're definitely one the better handgun suppressors out there

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I'm gonna be looking for a mostly dedicated 9mm can for my B&T GHM9c(with occasional trips to my CZ P10c) soon and I'm stuck between the Rugged Obsidian and Dead Air Wolfman because they seem to have similar performance (slight edge to the DA because it can take a wipe in the endcap) or the Silencerco Osprey, which performs about 6+/-dB worse than the DAWm and RO but just looks way cooler.

I'm also leaning towards the Wolfman because I have the DA Micro brake on the way to use with my SiCo Hybrid with KeyMo adapter in the mean time.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If you're only getting 1 can for pistols and pistol carbines, I wouldn't mess with the 3 lugs just yet. You'll be constantly going back and forth between the 3 lug mount in the silencer and swapping that over to the Neilson device and vice versa. It can be a pita and means more tools to bring with you to the range. That being said with the new Silencerco 3 lug mounts they come with a pretty slick 3 lug tool for that and their system is small and completely sealed so if you do take it out, it's not a lot to carry around.

Also for a first can I'd get a 45 can just for max versatility and worry about a dedicated 9mm can down the road....or another 45 can that's dedicated to PCC and you can 3 lug that thing.

There's a lot of great cans out there

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Thanks all. I ordered a Rugged Obsidian 9 today. I don't expect to ever suppress a larger caliber and I will start off mounting with direct threads to pistols and the AR9 pistol.

Top Bottom