Gemtech Outback II-D disassembly hell (and my solution)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jajwrigh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    So about a week ago, I decided to do my first cleaning of my suppressor after an unknown round count (in the thousands). You already know where this is going. :( I unscrewed the cap with no problems and I couldn't get the baffles to budge at all. I used a 3/8" wooden dowel and a rubber mallet on a rubber mat and tapped and tapped to no avail. I won't tell you about the hours of failed techniques that I tried and rather, I will share my solution that worked quite well.

I ordered an 8oz can of Kroil and put about 2" into a quart freezer bag and dropped the suppressor in. Every few hours, I would shake the suppressor vigorously to ensure that the Kroil was getting into thoroughly. After 24 hours or so, I pulled the suppressor out of the bag and drained out the oil. I then used a heat gun and ran the heat into both ends of the suppressor. I got it hot enough to the point where I could barely touch it with a paper towel wrapped around it. I was then able to easy tap the baffles out with the wooden dowel rod and the rubber mallet.

What a freaking nightmare! I did not damage the suppressor in any way and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I made this post hoping that someone else finds it when they need it the most like I did.

I am taking my time cleaning the baffles and the interior suppressor housing now and I am going to get on a MUCH more frequent cleaning schedule from now on. Lesson learnt...lol!

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Next time your at CVS ask them for the tallest pill container they have. I have gotten them free when I ask and they are long enough for a .22 suppressor to be submerged in cleaning fluid without requiring a large volume of cleaner. Put the can in there for a few days and take it out and drain it before trying to disassemble.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I think that gemtec recommends cleaning it every 500 rounds

what im doing (or trying) is putting a thin layer of anti seize around the core (or baffles in your case) so I can disassemble it easier, a friend called me, his can was frozen up, I suggested was that he run a few mags through to heat it up and try again, I never heard if it worked or not, so your results may vary!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Man, that aluminum really mucks things up, doesn't it? Makes for a super light weight can... That's hard to work with on your own.

I may or may not have a 100% aluminum suppressor. That I may or may not have neglected for years. It may or may not have cost me just about as much to have it shipped in for repair than the original purchase price.

Top Bottom