Upgrade Springfield for Suppressor or Trade Up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    The clock is ticking on a DeadAir Ghost M and I’m looking at all of the potential hosts in my safe. I’d like to put it on a full size 1911. I have a Loaded Springfield PX9109LP.

To run the Springfield suppressed I’ll need a threaded barrel and higher sights. Trying to decide if I want to invest $400 in a $700 gun. The Dan Wesson Wraith looks awfully tempting.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Also considering red dot sight and may try shooting 450 SMC on occasion.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You CAN get by plinking without suppressor height sights.

Should be able to get an aftermarket threaded barrel for $100 or so.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I put a threaded Fusion (well cm did) on my LW Loaded. It worked great and really didnt need suppressor sights. The Fusion barrel was a little more than $100 though. You should ask Churchmouse or AllenM for barrel recommendations.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    [mention]churchmouse [/mention] do you have a threaded barrel recommendation for a GI 1911. Per Springfield the current barrel is “match grade”

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    [mention]churchmouse [/mention] do you have a threaded barrel recommendation for a GI 1911. Per Springfield the current barrel is “match grade”

I am not locked into 1 brand. The storm lake worked for me in a couple of builds but both required work to achieve proper lock up at least for me.
    I have used Fusion as well but in truth none were threaded to run a suppressor.

There are a few "No Gunsmith" offerings out there and you may luck out that your gun will accept them. It does happen.
    If and when you do this just make sure the barrel actually fits the gun. There is a series of checks involved.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I am not locked into 1 brand. The storm lake worked for me in a couple of builds but both required work to achieve proper lock up at least for me.
    I have used Fusion as well but in truth none were threaded to run a suppressor.

There are a few "No Gunsmith" offerings out there and you may luck out that your gun will accept them. It does happen.
    If and when you do this just make sure the barrel actually fits the gun. There is a series of checks involved.

Any strong feelings between upgrading the Springfield v. Trading into a DW Wraith? I just picked up a Guardian and I’m rather impressed with CZ.

Top Bottom