• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Full disclaimer, I'm a noob when it comes to cans and using them.

I've got a gemtech 45acp can that's going to be out of jail in a few weeks or less. I have a beretta M9A3 that I'd like to use with it and I know there's some adapter gizmo thing I need to make all of that stuff work. I've also got a springfield loaded that I've considered getting a threaded barrel for to use the can with as well, but I don't know what's good or not with those.

Any suggestions would be great.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    9mm Piston with 1/2"-28 thread.

It may depend on the specific design of your can.

For example:

My Rugged Obsidian 45, the 1/2"x28 9mm piston is the same between 45 and 9mm.

My AAC TR45, for the 1/2"x28 piston, there is difference between for 45 can and 9mm can. I had to buy the 9mm piston for 45 can in order for it to work.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Not sure if this helps much but its a gemtech blackslide.

My Beretta threads are 1/2x28 so probably going to need an adapter to get to .578x28?

Last edited:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Do you need one on a Beretta? Since it's not a tilting barrel, I *think* you're ok to thread it right on.
    You still need the piston, as that is the threaded part, but you can pull the spring out, and replace it with a fixed barrel spacer.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't know the difference from one piston to another. Anyone got a link to one that'd work?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The accessories for a can, often get more expensive than the can itself.

For example, I have a Ti-Rant .45. I’ve got 4 or 5 pistons, a fixed barrel spacer, and a 3 lug adaptor. It adds up quick. With that combination, I can mount it on any of my pistol caliber stuff.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The accessories for a can, often get more expensive than the can itself.

For example, I have a Ti-Rant .45. I’ve got 4 or 5 pistons, a fixed barrel spacer, and a 3 lug adaptor. It adds up quick. With that combination, I can mount it on any of my pistol caliber stuff.

I can appreciate that, especially today. I'll pickup one of those pistons, but I also just ordered a FNX tactical 45 so it should just screw on. I'd been debating for year and just saw a silly good deal on a brand new one for $840.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    More bad news..... besides being one of the most expensive cans to get accessories for..... you’ll find that Gemtech products are almost impossible to find new and very rarely pop up on the used market.
    welcome to the GT club!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well at this point I've ran the can on both a FNX Tactical 45acp and a Beretta M9A3 9mm. I wasn't really impressed on either gun, but in fairness the 9mm rounds weren't subsonic. I was hoping it'd still have an edge with the 45acp because all that ammo is naturally subsonic, but it was still pretty loud.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    Well at this point I've ran the can on both a FNX Tactical 45acp and a Beretta M9A3 9mm. I wasn't really impressed on either gun, but in fairness the 9mm rounds weren't subsonic. I was hoping it'd still have an edge with the 45acp because all that ammo is naturally subsonic, but it was still pretty loud.

A few things to your comment:
    -Subsonic is everything if you want quieter (these will never be quiet as 110+ decibels is loud
    -Suppressing large bore calibers such as .45 is harder than smaller bore
    -Running 9mm on your 45 will not be as quiet as a dedicated 9mm caliber suppressor
    -Try having someone else shoot your pistol/suppressor combination both suppressed and unsuppressed out doors while you stand back. I always believe this gives you a better understanding of what is going on rather than being the shooter as you have action noise etc. The first time I did this i was shocked at the noise difference from shooting to standing 10' away was.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    A few things to your comment:
    -Subsonic is everything if you want quieter (these will never be quiet as 110+ decibels is loud
    -Suppressing large bore calibers such as .45 is harder than smaller bore
    -Running 9mm on your 45 will not be as quiet as a dedicated 9mm caliber suppressor
    -Try having someone else shoot your pistol/suppressor combination both suppressed and unsuppressed out doors while you stand back. I always believe this gives you a better understanding of what is going on rather than being the shooter as you have action noise etc. The first time I did this i was shocked at the noise difference from shooting to standing 10' away was.

The subsonic issue is the main reason I went to the 45acp can thinking all factory ammo is subsonic right out of the gate.

I didn't know suppressing the larger bore would have more issues. In hindsight would I have been in better shape if I'd have gotten a 9mm can with 9mm subsonics?

I've had friends shoot the rig with me standing nearby and I could hear a difference, but not a huge one.

I've been reading about running this can "wet" and I haven't been doing that since the first few rounds through it. It seems like it'd be a pain to have to keep stripping it all apart to slap some grease or water here or there.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Don’t waste your time using grease in the first baffle of the mono core, the mess isn’t worth the extra dB of attenuation. Instead just smother the booster with Lucas white lithium grease, reassemble the booster and be done with it.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    So you can run a piston on a fixed barrel and even a carbine? I was wondering if I was going to run 9mm through a 45 can (Gemtech persuasion also) if I needed a piston for some things and the fixed threads for others, or if you can just use the piston for any 1/2x28.

Thanks and sorry to rehash this...

Top Bottom