Buying multiple NFA items at once: how many sets of forms for RPs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Assume I have two RPs on my NFA trust and I buy two NFA items at the same time.
    I know each NFA item needs a Form 4 and each RP needs a Form 23/fingerprints cards.

If all forms are submitted in the same envelope, is one set (per person) of Form 23/fingerprints cards enough or does there need to be a separate set of Form 23s/fingerprint cards per NFA item?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Not a lawyer, and very green with NFA process so take this as a very uninformed opinion. But I would think one set of fingerprint cards (two cards per RP) would be OK. But since the responsible person form includes details about the specific item, you would need one of those per RP per item.

This is my very uneducated guess. It's also why I used an attorney to set up my trust. If this issue came up I could call him and he would explain it to me.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    As stated above, One set of everything PER Form one

And don't be shocked if they get separated to two different examiners. ATF isn't known for efficiently processing paperwork

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Thank you all.
    I was just hoping to avoid having to send so many FP cards. 2RP x 2NFA items = 8FP cards...sux.

Does anyone have experience using scanned fingerprints that can be printed on demand? Seems like it would be nice to have those handy for instances like this.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    That is actually what i did for my last set that I sent. They printed out perfectly.
    Unfortunately, the system contains other LES data (it is a stand alone system) and I could not get the LEO to email the scans to me or let me offload them to a thumb drive.
    I will have to have him print more and just snail mail them to be due to COVID restrictions now in place.

There seem to be plenty of scanners on Ebay. Just make sure you get one that does Slaps, Flats, and Rolls. EG: a FAP-50 or FAP-60 scanner that has a bed of 3.2" x 3.0"

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    ^^
    No it is not fine. There is no guarantee that all the forms will stay with the same examiner. As such any packets that are not complete will be treated as such and kicked back.
    example: 5 form 4’s on an individual = 10 fingerprint cards, not 2

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    ^^
    No it is not fine. There is no guarantee that all the forms will stay with the same examiner. As such any packets that are not complete will be treated as such and kicked back.
    example: 5 form 4’s on an individual = 10 fingerprint cards, not 2

Know a lot of people who's been satisfactory with 1 set of fingerprints total for multiple items, even with responsible person questionnaires. Call ATF and ask them if there's any consistency they'll tell you the same thing they told me

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Not gonna debate you on this. I have fellow LEO friends in the Merrillville and Chicago offices of the ATF who've I inquired about this to. And they've called the actual examiners about this to. The one thing everyone agrees on is there is no consistency at the ATF. With that said, have some two form packets gotten through, I'm sure of it. I just wouldn't roll the dice with my time on this as proper procedure is 1 set per form.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If they’ve talked to the actual examiners then I’m sure the actual examiners have also told them that if you have a form 4 in process from say 9 months, and one that is say 3 months, then there’s a good possibility that you will get them back at the same time because once one background check is done it speeds the rest up cause they’re still in process. So if that’s the case, even if one set of cards is provided your individual info is still in the system regardless of how many prints you’ve submitted.

I know someone that has had 5 approved form 4s show up in 1 day, some 9 months old the other 6 weeks because of this

it’s one giant luck of the roll anyway. ATF blames FBI. FBI blames ATF. I had a form 4 sit on an examiners desk and take 19 months to processed even though FBI did my background check and had 4 other stamps approved that were mailed off months after that one

not going to further debate this either. It’s all one big pissing contest. Do as you like, say what you like

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I've been told by an examiner that you can't batch F4s together per set of FP cards because each F4 with FP cards get an FBI BG check and a Fiche # (I think) attached to each proceed for that specific F4 and that set of FP cards. You can't use the same BG check and associating Fiche number for a different F4. Take that for what it's worth.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I emailed Marc Halata yesterday afternoon (he did my Trusts). He indicated that each application (Form4 and related documentation) should stand on it's own.
    EG: multiple FP sets for multiple items

YOU might get away with sending only one set, I am not willing to take that risk. BATFE is already slow enough, they don't need me to give them any other excuses.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I sent in multiple sets of finger print cards (one per item). And was informed it's not necessary and when sending in 4 items the next time around I sent in just one set and it all went just fine. So I know it's often just fine with one set of cards. I hear both ways and see it done both ways, not that it helps.

Top Bottom