• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Thinking about getting a can for my DI AR-15, so my question is OSS flow thru suppressor better (less back pressure/ blowback gas in the face) than a baffled can? I have no bolt rifle so that’s not in the equation nor is cost for argument sakes. Is the OSS just as good as baffled? If I go baffled Route, do I need to get adjustable gas block? Also, if baffled Route which would be the best for the DI AR-15? Thanks for any and all input.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Just buy a Dead Air Sandman S. It'll sound MUCH better than an OSS, cost less, have a better mounting system and weigh less. OSS have their place. On a Tavor, that's about it. The Sandman is a low back pressure baffle stack made of stellite. I always recommend an AGB so you can tune the exact amount of gas needed. No more no less.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Just buy a Dead Air Sandman S. It'll sound MUCH better than an OSS, cost less, have a better mounting system and weigh less. OSS have their place. On a Tavor, that's about it. The Sandman is a low back pressure baffle stack made of stellite. I always recommend an AGB so you can tune the exact amount of gas needed. No more no less.

That is just plain FUD. If you have not shot with an OSS then you don't know. Period. All you have to do is go look at what most people are saying on YouTube.

And yep I have one on my Tavor SAR, but I also have one on my 300BLK pistol for a reason. It just frickin' works. No adjustable gas blocks, no screwing around with different buffer weights, no fiddling with anything. I switch from subs to supers and do nothing special...EVER. I have even run mixed magazines that contain both subs and supers. Not a single issue, no FTF, no FTE, and no face full of crap (gasses coming back down the barrel at me).

My Tavor SAR:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-official-nfa-pic-thread-128.html#post8234344

My 300BLK:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-official-nfa-pic-thread-128.html#post8234371

Call me a fan boy all you want, I have five cans. One of the three rifle cans is a Form one, and the other two rifle cans are OSS. There's a reason for that.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    OSS, from what I've heard, has had some bad luck with the operators community. My contact at Crane said that the phrase, "parts fell out like Chiclets" was used in reference to an OSS suppressor that had undergone full auto testing. This was a couple of years ago though so things may have changed/improved but I'd need to see some independent testing to trust them on a high volume centerfire. The rimfire suppressor they make looks interesting though.

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    That is just plain FUD. If you have not shot with an OSS then you don't know. Period. All you have to do is go look at what most people are saying on YouTube.

And yep I have one on my Tavor SAR, but I also have one on my 300BLK pistol for a reason. It just frickin' works. No adjustable gas blocks, no screwing around with different buffer weights, no fiddling with anything. I switch from subs to supers and do nothing special...EVER. I have even run mixed magazines that contain both subs and supers. Not a single issue, no FTF, no FTE, and no face full of crap (gasses coming back down the barrel at me).

My Tavor SAR:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-official-nfa-pic-thread-128.html#post8234344

My 300BLK:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-official-nfa-pic-thread-128.html#post8234371

Call me a fan boy all you want, I have five cans. One of the three rifle cans is a Form one, and the other two rifle cans are OSS. There's a reason for that.

Nothing FUDD about it. You mad bro? Lol, Can you show me where anyone has tested an OSS suppressor using a mil standard meter and testing protocol? I'll wait. And no, the one MAC did is NOT a mil standard test cause he uses a larson davis meter. Quit using your fanbois-ism and emotions to push a product. You know that there are actually suppressors out there that have extremely low back pressure AND db less than OSS?

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Nothing FUDD about it. You mad bro? Lol, Can you show me where anyone has tested an OSS suppressor using a mil standard meter and testing protocol? I'll wait. And no, the one MAC did is NOT a mil standard test cause he uses a larson davis meter. Quit using your fanbois-ism and emotions to push a product. You know that there are actually suppressors out there that have extremely low back pressure AND db less than OSS?

First: Learn to search for what you do not understand instead of making assumptions. EG: FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. FUDD = Elmer. Not the same.
    (https://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+FUD[FONT=&amp]https://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+FUD)[/FONT]

Second: I absolutely don't care about mil spec testing. And yes, there are manufacturers that claim their suppressors are the quietest. That is called marketing. It is to be expected.
    Hell, my Form 1 can on my Ruger American Ranch is much quieter. But I only had to run it once on my 300BLK pistol to know it was a no-go. (https://youtu.be/dbq5-fjODNs?list=PLiwQBMAgMNqy0cAoyt1xYBOpEjRtDAfYU)

Third: I only care about three things with suppressors:
    1. How much blow-back is in my face
    2. Not having to fiddle with adjustable gas blocks and all of the other scheisse that is needed with baffled suppressors
    3. How quiet loud is the report at MY EAR (not 1m to the left at the muzzle).
    Yep, in that order.

Fourth: As for your comments regarding MAC and his testing, wrong again. He is actually using a B&K meter (https://www.bksv.com/en/products/sound-and-vibration-meters/sound-level-meters-and-vibration-meters), calls it out as a B&K meter in the video, and even does the Mil-Spec testing that you are whining about: https://youtu.be/cY1r5a_SZBc?t=864
    Next I suppose you will be telling me that B&K meters are crap? Again, do your homework.

Again, say OSS fan boy all you want (and spell it the right way...unless you are trying to impress the 16 year olds reading this). In fact I so much as admitted up front that I am a biased fan of the products. It should surprise no one reading this. Not sure how you missed it. I can only speak from my experience with the OSS products (And my SiCo cans as well). Can you? Be specific. Which ones? What caliber? On what platform?

Tell you what I'll do for you. The next time I am back home (I work in DC and we are still in lock-down), I will meet you at a range and let you try it for yourself.
    Let me know if you want to experience them first hand.

Adding one more: https://youtu.be/WiIxf2oS270?t=129

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    There's some inaccurate statements in your wall of text but there's no talking to you when you admit you can't fairly compare different products because of your biases.

OP, Here's the only OSS can that was metered properly with the latest BK pulse. You can see the only thing it was better than was an old school N6. Also, pay attention to the ejection of the cases with each can. You'll notice others have the same 3 o'clock pattern as the OSS.
    https://youtu.be/V_8yA474RDk

Take time and read these OP. Many of the guys posting in these threads were buying and shooting cans for 20 years and some posts are from suppressor engineers and designers from AAC, CGS Group, Dead Air, etc. They actually know what they're talking about. If you want real info on suppressors, then go to this forum and read all night. INGO doesn't possess the suppressor knowledge compared to these guys.
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Oss/20-508581/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/...eedback-opinions-experience-advice/20-503089/

STFU, you busted me. I'm just an ol internet scab. Troll if you will. I don't even own any guns anymore :(

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    There's some inaccurate statements in your wall of text but there's no talking to you when you admit you can't fairly compare different products because of your biases.

Care to be more specific? Your generic statements are how we arrived here to begin with. And actually, I am a very reasonable guy. I just get picky when people lay out BS opinions with nothing to back up the FUD.

OP, the only real lesson here is: do your homework! Lots of homework. Don't "just take someone's word for it" because they "feel" one brand is better than another.
    Check some of the ranges...some will even rent suppressors (on their host of course) to try out.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    In fact I so much as admitted up front that I am a biased fan of the products. It should surprise no one reading this.
    Seems cut and dry to me. No sure why I need to be more specific. You said yourself. Did you even watch the metering vid? I know you said you don't care about mil spec this or that, but the fact is this is the Industry standard for measuring these products whether you like it or not. It's used to to show efficacy of the product and validate claims. You know, things our ears can't do very well on our own? Look, I'm glad you like your OSS can. I like my SD-N6, but I also recognize that it's not the best thing out there. We can like something AND be honest about it not being great at the same time. :yesway:

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Seems cut and dry to me. No sure why I need to be more specific. You said yourself. Did you even watch the metering vid? I know you said you don't care about mil spec this or that, but the fact is this is the Industry standard for measuring these products whether you like it or not. It's used to to show efficacy of the product and validate claims. You know, things our ears can't do very well on our own? Look, I'm glad you like your OSS can. I like my SD-N6, but I also recognize that it's not the best thing out there. We can like something AND be honest about it not being great at the same time. :yesway:

Yep, I did watch the metering video. In truth, I got bored with it at about the 2 minute mark and skipped to the results at 8:38. Nothing shocking other than it is a GA marketing video.
    (And to be clear, I like GA, I use their Paladin Taper Mount on my RAR for the Form1 can).

And the same to you: I am glad you like your can as well.

I never said that OSS was the best. I never said it was the quietest. I have no issue with other cans. I own two SiCo cans as well. Happy with them...on certain hosts.
    I have shot many other cans that belong to friends, like AAC, GA, and a Gemtech. They're all nice and they all do the job fairly well. Some quieter than others (perceived).

But your comment "OSS have their place. On a Tavor, that's about it." is total crap. I don't talk **** about products I do not have direct experience with. Never will. Period.

And while the OSS may cost more (lifetime warranty)...the time I save not fiddling with how to get subsonics to run properly in a DI platform...time is money. OSS is gold in that department.
    Having to have an adjustable gas block is the primary reason I did not buy the 300BLK barrel kit for the Tavor. That kit even comes with and adjustable gas block from the factory...not worth the hassle.

While I bought my first OSS for my Tavor, I have run it on AR platforms as well. Same results. It just runs with no games. And not getting a face full of crap when doing a mag dump is something to praise. At least in my book it is.
    You don't have to take just my word for it...go read the reviews on SilencerShops website.
    Peace.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    OP. There is not doubt that OSS cans are low back pressure and some of if not the most low back pressure cans out there. I have not shot their new cans but the old versions are loud! I am wanting to try one, but less suppression and lots of flash at night are my main reasons for staying away. A rifle with a proper sized gas port and a buffer and spring to match will run and cycle not only fine and dandy but nice and smooth with a traditional baffled silencer. I'm not telling you to not buy an OSS but if you like baffled cans they still work just fine too without too much back pressure and blow back.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    First: Learn to search for what you do not understand instead of making assumptions. EG: FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. FUDD = Elmer. Not the same.
    (https://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+FUD[FONT=&amp]https://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+FUD)[/FONT]

Second: I absolutely don't care about mil spec testing. And yes, there are manufacturers that claim their suppressors are the quietest. That is called marketing. It is to be expected.
    Hell, my Form 1 can on my Ruger American Ranch is much quieter. But I only had to run it once on my 300BLK pistol to know it was a no-go. (https://youtu.be/dbq5-fjODNs?list=PLiwQBMAgMNqy0cAoyt1xYBOpEjRtDAfYU)

Third: I only care about three things with suppressors:
    1. How much blow-back is in my face
    2. Not having to fiddle with adjustable gas blocks and all of the other scheisse that is needed with baffled suppressors
    3. How quiet loud is the report at MY EAR (not 1m to the left at the muzzle).
    Yep, in that order.

Fourth: As for your comments regarding MAC and his testing, wrong again. He is actually using a B&K meter (https://www.bksv.com/en/products/sound-and-vibration-meters/sound-level-meters-and-vibration-meters), calls it out as a B&K meter in the video, and even does the Mil-Spec testing that you are whining about: https://youtu.be/cY1r5a_SZBc?t=864
    Next I suppose you will be telling me that B&K meters are crap? Again, do your homework.

Again, say OSS fan boy all you want (and spell it the right way...unless you are trying to impress the 16 year olds reading this). In fact I so much as admitted up front that I am a biased fan of the products. It should surprise no one reading this. Not sure how you missed it. I can only speak from my experience with the OSS products (And my SiCo cans as well). Can you? Be specific. Which ones? What caliber? On what platform?

Tell you what I'll do for you. The next time I am back home (I work in DC and we are still in lock-down), I will meet you at a range and let you try it for yourself.
    Let me know if you want to experience them first hand.

Adding one more: https://youtu.be/WiIxf2oS270?t=129
    Man, if your form1 can is a Rusty special, I’m sorry you bought into the cult of personality and hype he manufactured behind himself, the dude sold a lot of people a bill of goods with his “ZOMG the RSC is the best design EVER for everything under the sun song and dance” there’s a reason most, if not all, rifle cans with a baffle stack run simple 50 or 60 degree cones with a single scoop clipping. The dude backed nothing up with actual metering data, and the people I’ve seen meter his designs against traditional setups have gotten lackluster numbers from the RSC designs.

also, 300BO is designed to be able to run all 4 in an AR15, subs, supers, suppressed and unsuppressed, with no changes whatsoever done to the gun. If yours does so, it’s A well built gun.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    OP. There is not doubt that OSS cans are low back pressure and some of if not the most low back pressure cans out there. I have not shot their new cans but the old versions are loud!

Again, another generic statement with nothing to back it up. Are we supposed to infer from your statement that you (personally) shot some of the Gen 1 and Gen2 OSS cans and found them to be louder than???
    This is like me saying, "Ford trucks suck." How about quantifying your statement. Maybe you do have experience, but you didn't state so. EG: I shot the old one and compared to the xxx is seemed much louder. Or something? Otherwise it is just more FUD.

Not trying to start a fight Bfish, but I am stunned at how many people on INGO chime in on a topic because of what they "read" or "saw in YouTube video" and then claim it as gospel with no first hand knowledge and with nothing to substantiate their comments.
    If I have no actual experience with a product, I won't pretend that I do just so I can throw my version of BS into the conversation.
    smh

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Man, if your form1 can is a Rusty special, I’m sorry you bought into the cult of personality and hype he manufactured behind himself, the dude sold a lot of people a bill of goods with his “ZOMG the RSC is the best design EVER for everything under the sun song and dance” there’s a reason most, if not all, rifle cans with a baffle stack run simple 50 or 60 degree cones with a single scoop clipping. The dude backed nothing up with actual metering data, and the people I’ve seen meter his designs against traditional setups have gotten lackluster numbers from the RSC designs.

also, 300BO is designed to be able to run all 4 in an AR15, subs, supers, suppressed and unsuppressed, with no changes whatsoever done to the gun. If yours does so, it’s A well built gun.

I'll be very clear on this. This is NOT an RSC can. It is my own form 1 design, build and "make." I had Rusty do some milling on the end cap and clip several of the Ti cones that I was not equipped to mill myself.
    It is, IMHO, the quietest can I own. Then again, it is on a 300BLK bolt gun that is already rather quiet. (Certainly more quiet than my Osprey that SiCo says is 300BLK safe...yep I tested that too. The Osprey is back on the USP45 now.)

If we assume your statement is true: "with no changes whatsoever done to the gun." Then I go back to my original assertion, that telling the OP to "...always recommend an AGB..." is crap.
    There are probably a hundred videos on YouTube discussing this very topic and how important an AGB is when running a silencer.

Based on this comment: "If yours does so, it’s A well built gun." Should we then also assume that all of those people have poorly built guns?
    I find this a bit hard to believe.
    Again, smh.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I'll be very clear on this. This is NOT an RSC can. It is my own form 1 design, build and "make." I had Rusty do some milling on the end cap and clip several of the Ti cones that I was not equipped to mill myself.
    It is, IMHO, the quietest can I own. Then again, it is on a 300BLK bolt gun that is already rather quiet. (Certainly more quiet than my Osprey that SiCo says is 300BLK safe...yep I tested that too. The Osprey is back on the USP45 now.)

If we assume your statement is true: "with no changes whatsoever done to the gun." Then I go back to my original assertion, that telling the OP to "...always recommend an AGB..." is crap.
    There are probably a hundred videos on YouTube discussing this very topic and how important an AGB is when running a silencer.

Based on this comment: "If yours does so, it’s A well built gun." Should we then also assume that all of those people have poorly built guns?
    I find this a bit hard to believe.
    Again, smh.
    Considering that AAC in their R&D designed 300 BO AR15s to run all 4 (subs/supers/suppressed/unsuppressed) yes, a 300BO AR15 that cannot reliably do all that isn’t properly built, Something isn’t “in spec” or liberties were taken; who knows, I know that every 300BO AR15 I’ve had runs, reliably and with no issues to date.

where OSS cans shine is in an already overgassed firearm, or one where gas tuning isn’t readily accessible, like an AK or Mini30. However if I ever have an adjustable gas block on a gun, it gets set, and never touched again, just like screws on a carburetor, just because it is there doesn’t mean you need to endlessly fiddle with them. They are there because endlessly drilling, filling and redrilling a gas port isn’t a valid option.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Considering that AAC in their R&D designed 300 BO AR15s to run all 4 (subs/supers/suppressed/unsuppressed) yes, a 300BO AR15 that cannot reliably do all that isn’t properly built, Something isn’t “in spec” or liberties were taken; who knows, I know that every 300BO AR15 I’ve had runs, reliably and with no issues to date.

where OSS cans shine is in an already overgassed firearm, or one where gas tuning isn’t readily accessible, like an AK or Mini30. However if I ever have an adjustable gas block on a gun, it gets set, and never touched again, just like screws on a carburetor, just because it is there doesn’t mean you need to endlessly fiddle with them. They are there because endlessly drilling, filling and redrilling a gas port isn’t a valid option.

Thank you for the clarification. This ^^^ makes sense to me.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Sorry everyone, I didn’t mean for this thread to be like this.

I would love to try out some different suppressors. I have a guy where I can try different baffle cans but he has no OSS cans and I don’t know of anyone else that does.

STFU, if that invitation you made to nyle could be extended to me, sorry I hate to be that guy that invites himself over to somebody else’s place, I would love to hear your OSS in action. If not that’s ok too, my feelings won’t be hurt.

thanks again everyone for there input.

Top Bottom