• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Porsche911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2015
    United States
    So...I moved. Like, awhile ago. And I did not even think about the fact that I have a suppressor. What do I do now? Is there a form I need to fill out with the ATF? If so, which one? Am I facing some troubles by not telling them in a timely manor? Also, side note, I would like to sell it so I do not have to deal with the hassle of owning it anymore, how would I go about that too? Thanks for any help!

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Form 5320.20.

Did you move out of state or same state?

I dont think it matters with just a silencer but if you had a sbr, sbs, or an automatic your suppose to file before you move if your changing states.

If your staying in the same state you can file it after you move.

Porsche911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2015
    United States
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. I moved within the state. Do you happen to know which form I need to fill out? I have looked at the ATF's site, but get confused as to which one I need.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Nah, you're good. As stated above, suppressors(and AOWs)don't require notification. And with an in state move, neither does anything else, although most people will file a 5320.20 just to keep things up to date. It helps to have your current address in the registry if/when you decide to sell something.

And then the selling,...ready for the bad news? Used suppressors have almost zero resale value and in most cases, a negative value. Your only viable market is in state to an individual. If you happen to have a neighbor who wants exactly what you have and is willing to jump through the hoops, there's your sale.

Out of state would require two $200 transfers and a willing NFA dealer who will most certainly require some amount additional $$. Plus shipping. Plus maybe tax. So figure $500 slashed from the value right from the start. Then it's used, meaning it's 'not new' and might not be supported by the manufacturer(who might not even be around anymore), and it may be older technology. Upgrades happen constantly. Nobody's going to buy a used suppressor over a new suppressor of the same model to save $100, especially when it's going to cost an additional $300(over the single inevitable transfer tax)to do it. You can't sell it to a dealer for the same reason. Even a dealer must pay the $200 tax to transfer 'from' a non-licensee, and what's he gonna do with a 'used' suppressor that costs him $200 more than a 'new' unit?

Unless you've got a REALLY high end suppressor you're wanting to sell for fifty bucks or something 'collectable' like a serial # 00001 Maxim, you're keeping your can or abandoning it to ATF. Or you can will it to someone tax-free when you die. Those are the only realistic options. I've purchased used suppressors before when I was licensed(from another licensee, tax-free, for $50 each). Wasn't a smart thing to do, but whatever,....gave me something to play with. I've purchased one 'used' suppressor from an individual in state after letting my license expire for 25% of retail but only because it was as-new and came with several mounting adaptors. Financially, one of the worst deals I've ever made. Totally stuck with that can for life now.

Advice,......keep it. Sell plasma.

Porsche911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2015
    United States
    Okay thanks for the info, much appreciated. Assuming I fill out the form, will I get a new copy of the paperwork I am supposed to carry with it when transporting with my new address?

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    You'll submit the 5320.20 in duplicate and they will return one copy to you. That in conjunction with your original form4 covers you. You won't get a new form4.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Nah, you're good. As stated above, suppressors(and AOWs)don't require notification. And with an in state move, neither does anything else, although most people will file a 5320.20 just to keep things up to date. It helps to have your current address in the registry if/when you decide to sell something.

And then the selling,...ready for the bad news? Used suppressors have almost zero resale value and in most cases, a negative value. Your only viable market is in state to an individual. If you happen to have a neighbor who wants exactly what you have and is willing to jump through the hoops, there's your sale.

Out of state would require two $200 transfers and a willing NFA dealer who will most certainly require some amount additional $$. Plus shipping. Plus maybe tax. So figure $500 slashed from the value right from the start. Then it's used, meaning it's 'not new' and might not be supported by the manufacturer(who might not even be around anymore), and it may be older technology. Upgrades happen constantly. Nobody's going to buy a used suppressor over a new suppressor of the same model to save $100, especially when it's going to cost an additional $300(over the single inevitable transfer tax)to do it. You can't sell it to a dealer for the same reason. Even a dealer must pay the $200 tax to transfer 'from' a non-licensee, and what's he gonna do with a 'used' suppressor that costs him $200 more than a 'new' unit?

Unless you've got a REALLY high end suppressor you're wanting to sell for fifty bucks or something 'collectable' like a serial # 00001 Maxim, you're keeping your can or abandoning it to ATF. Or you can will it to someone tax-free when you die. Those are the only realistic options. I've purchased used suppressors before when I was licensed(from another licensee, tax-free, for $50 each). Wasn't a smart thing to do, but whatever,....gave me something to play with. I've purchased one 'used' suppressor from an individual in state after letting my license expire for 25% of retail but only because it was as-new and came with several mounting adaptors. Financially, one of the worst deals I've ever made. Totally stuck with that can for life now.

Advice,......keep it. Sell plasma.

Wow, haven't dabbled in NFA up to this point, including suppressors. Appreciate the info.

Porsche911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2015
    United States
    Right? That is why I was kinda confused. Had to jump through hoops just to get the permit, and now that I have moved, the are all like: It's fine! Do whatever you want.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    It’s weird that they only suggest notification, when they’re so strict about approving them

That's a 'tell'. ATF is a gov't agency with limited authority. When they're operating within their authority and there's a law or rule to backup what they're saying, they 'require'. When they're outside of their authority but would like something to happen anyway, they 'suggest'.

ATF has expanded authority in two areas,.......licensing and interstate commerce. If you haven't put yourself under their authority by 'application of license'(which is what 'license' is)and the item doesn't enter interstate commerce, they're pretty much restricted to watching from the sidelines. I'm sure it was just an oversight, but when the 5320.20 was written it 'required' pre-approval for interstate movement(ATF authority)of mg's, sbs's, sbr's and dd's. Absolutely no idea why aow's and silencers weren't included, but they weren't, so ATF can't 'require' that pre-approval under any existing law or rule. And intrastate movement is outside of their authority. If you notify them of those actions, it's a courtesy. Many guys do file the form regardless as cover. It's nice to have an 'approved' gov't form with you when travelling with restricted items and it's nice to have 'approved' gov't forms that match with your current address. Suggested, but not required.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Happy to help. In truth, many/most dealers don't fully understand this stuff. Dan Shea's "Machine Gun Dealer's Bible" was an absolute godsend back when I first got started, but afaik it hasn't been available for 20yrs. I believe it's been more or less supplanted by an ATF manual that Shea helped them produce and that should be available free to anyone who asks directly from ATF.

Here it is as a free download,......guess I'm old. They already don't print hard copies.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/national-firearms-act-handbook

Top Bottom