• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    when I set up a trust in the near future, do I have to pay the $200 tax again on each of the items I currently have a stamp for to add those items to the trust?

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    So how would I then have one of my family member be able to take possession of them if something were to happen to me?

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Will it to them.

Or add them on as a trustee. You need to talk to your attorney that did the trust. They should be able to help you. I do have 2 trusts. Some in one, the newer stuff in the other. I wont get into the reasons here, but for me it was the easiest thing to do.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I am in the same boat. Thought that I would just have one stamp - ended up with, well...more.

While not fully researched yet, what Jagee says is correct. They will pass to your spouse and/or by the decree of your will just like any other property that is in a trust.

Don't take my word for it...someone will be along shortly with name of the INGO member that is a lawyer and has experience with Trusts...

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I am in the same boat. Thought that I would just have one stamp - ended up with, well...more.

While not fully researched yet, what Jagee says is correct. They will pass to your spouse and/or by the decree of your will just like any other property that is in a trust.

Don't take my word for it...someone will be along shortly with name of the INGO member that is a lawyer and has experience with Trusts...

Guy Relford is who I use. He is well known around here, and is a very 2A attorney.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    It's probably worth talking to an attorney with NFA trust expertise. Guy Relford is the first name everyone always mentions. I set mine up through Marc Halata.

marc halatais in greenfield isn’t he? That would be very handy as I’m right on Marion and Hancock county line. Prices pretty reasonable?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yes, he's in Greenfield, but I did everything over the phone and email. Never had to meet in person. I would say the cost is reasonable and he has been willing to answer all of my follow-up questions with no extra charge.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Yes, he's in Greenfield, but I did everything over the phone and email. Never had to meet in person. I would say the cost is reasonable and he has been willing to answer all of my follow-up questions with no extra charge.

Concur. Marc is great. He will be able to clarify all.

My understanding from what Marc and I discussed previously is the following:
    If the NFA items are registered to you as an individual, moving them into a trust is considered a transfer. The trust is essentially the "new owner." You will have to complete a new Form 4 and pay the $200.00 tax stamp again for each item you transfer to a new owner (trust in this case).
    The same would apply if moving items from one trust to another trust.

Now the good news is: if the original Form 4s were approved and you currently have possession of the items, the items stay in your possession until the new Form 4 approvals (for the Trust) come back.

Waldojr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 22, 2020
    West
    Concur. Marc is great. He will be able to clarify all.

My understanding from what Marc and I discussed previously is the following:
    If the NFA items are registered to you as an individual, moving them into a trust is considered a transfer. The trust is essentially the "new owner." You will have to complete a new Form 4 and pay the $200.00 tax stamp again for each item you transfer to a new owner (trust in this case).
    The same would apply if moving items from one trust to another trust.

Now the good news is: if the original Form 4s were approved and you currently have possession of the items, the items stay in your possession until the new Form 4 approvals (for the Trust) come back.

Marc did mine years ago, Was great and even talked to him about another legal thing. I have two cans I need to move to the trust by at $200 each I'll wait. My first can is in a trust from a Form 1 and took forever from ATF to be approved.

Top Bottom