Does a suppressor count towards the barrel length?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    My eForm 1 SBR stamp was approved in like 28 days around February. The engraving cost me about $70 at Cooper Custom but IMO it was worth it, barely noticeable.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Another option to avoid the SBR route is to permanently affix a "shroud" to the end of the barrel that will give you an overall length that makes it non-SBR. I don't remember where I saw it but it was a slick setup. Say you have a 12" barrel. Make the shroud 4 1/4". If your can is 6" that would give you enough room to screw it on. Yes, it would be some custom work and you'd have to decide if it's worth it but it an option.

Let me see if I can fine the article.

Something like this. (I know this is a pistol. This is just so you get an idea)

lWfkZNF.jpg

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What are you referring to here? Pressures?

+ heat and erosion

Obviously varies with suppressor design/materials, caliber and barrel length.

This.

The shorter the barrel, the faster the blast baffle will erode/wear out. Not all suppressors are created equal. Some are rated for SBRs down to a certain length, some don't have a min. length rating, etc etc.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Another option to avoid the SBR route is to permanently affix a "shroud" to the end of the barrel that will give you an overall length that makes it non-SBR. I don't remember where I saw it but it was a slick setup. Say you have a 12" barrel. Make the shroud 4 1/4". If your can is 6" that would give you enough room to screw it on. Yes, it would be some custom work and you'd have to decide if it's worth it but it an option.

Let me see if I can fine the article.

Something like this. (I know this is a pistol. This is just so you get an idea)

I have never heard this before. Reference please?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have never heard this before. Reference please?

I couldn't find the article. It wasn't done on an AR. I "think" it was on a CZ scorpion or Sig of the same type build.

My thinking for an AR (again, purely concept here) would be to thread the barrel twice as long as standard. Build a "shroud" that screws on to the back end of the threads, then pin and weld it so it becomes part of the barrel.

If I can find the write-up about the CZ/SIG, it should make more sense.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I couldn't find the article. It wasn't done on an AR. I "think" it was on a CZ scorpion or Sig of the same type build.

My thinking for an AR (again, purely concept here) would be to thread the barrel twice as long as standard. Build a "shroud" that screws on to the back end of the threads, then pin and weld it so it becomes part of the barrel.

If I can find the write-up about the CZ/SIG, it should make more sense.

Tactical Solutions does this for the 10/22 with their SBX barrels. Other than working around the dimensions of your can and handguard, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work on an AR.

D4F5D1C1-D11E-4411-84E8-57482EB4B56F.jpg

Top Bottom