• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The Google Law service is telling me suppressors do not require NFA approval to move across state lines if the item is legal to posses in the state to which you are traveling.
    I'm staying in a 35 acre farm a few hundred feet across the IN line in Michigan next week. I'm planning to do some plinking with my 10/22.

What say you, legal minds of INGO?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/form20/

The ATF requires prior authorization after a written request to transport any destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun under Section 922(a)(4), The ATF does not require this prior authorization for a suppressor. While the prior authorization from the ATF is not required, we do still recommend obtaining an approved Form 20 from the ATF for Suppressors before crossing state lines. We feel that it is better to have a document from the federal government stating it is legal to be in possession of the item in another state than is listed on your Form 4 or Form 1 which was used to acquire the item.

That is what I've historically done. Granted, I need to do one for an SBR anyway, so I put the suppressor on there, too. Caveat: I don't go to MI, so I don't know what MI law is on the subject.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The form will never be back within the week. But, it is good to have and they are good for a year. It’s better to have and not need, then need and not have. Insurance is always worth it.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Form 5320.20 is not needed to transport a silencer across state lines.
    From the link posted above: "The ATF requires prior authorization after a written request to transport any destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun under Section 922(a)(4), The ATF does not require this prior authorization for a suppressor."

What you do need to verify is that you can have a silencer in that state:
    https://www.silencershop.com/where-are-they-legal#

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Let’s say I’m headed to Florida and I fill out form 5320.20 that the SBR will be in Florida. I’m spending the night in Georgia on my way down. Would I still be legal?

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    Let’s say I’m headed to Florida and I fill out form 5320.20 that the SBR will be in Florida. I’m spending the night in Georgia on my way down. Would I still be legal?

As long as it is legal in the State you are traveling through, and you have the approved form 5320, then yes, it is legal to transport it through that State.
    But, I certainly wouldn't let it be know that you are transporting it, if you don't have to.
    Keep it locked up, hidden, put away, and out of sight, so, no one knows of it's presence.
    The other issue is if you are stopped, and the State is a "must inform" State, you are required to inform the Police that stop you that you have weapons in the vehicle.
    If you don't "inform" them, and they do a search and find it, you could be in a world of hurt.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    As long as it is legal in the State you are traveling through, and you have the approved form 5320, then yes, it is legal to transport it through that State.
    But, I certainly wouldn't let it be know that you are transporting it, if you don't have to.
    Keep it locked up, hidden, put away, and out of sight, so, no one knows of it's presence.
    The other issue is if you are stopped, and the State is a "must inform" State, you are required to inform the Police that stop you that you have weapons in the vehicle.
    If you don't "inform" them, and they do a search and find it, you could be in a world of hurt.

Thanks for the post. I like your suggestion about keeping the suppressors out of sight after all Suppressors’s are about being quiet .

I never quite understood why someone would put a sticker on their vehicle that would draw someone to believe their was firearms in the vehicle. The big Glock decal is the worst in my opinion and I carry a Glock everyday.

Duty to inform was also something I wasn’t thinking about but I always check my CCW App when I’m traveling if I don’t already know the laws.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    Thanks for the post. I like your suggestion about keeping the suppressors out of sight after all Suppressors’s are about being quiet .

I never quite understood why someone would put a sticker on their vehicle that would draw someone to believe their was firearms in the vehicle. The big Glock decal is the worst in my opinion and I carry a Glock everyday.

Duty to inform was also something I wasn’t thinking about but I always check my CCW App when I’m traveling if I don’t already know the laws.

I was, specifically, referring to the SBR you mentioned.
    Legally, you don't need "permission" to travel with a suppressor, just that it's legal where you are.
    The SBR, you must have the approved 5320.

Top Bottom