• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    So I zeroed my Savage B22 with standard cci velocity .22lr bullets with huntertown arms direct thread can; I was able to consistently hit golf balls at 75yards. Went home and cleaned the can; been about few thousand rounds through it and needed cleaning. Went out today with the B22 and standard velocity cci ammo, same everything from when zeroed, and I could not hit the golf balls. Did my POI change after cleaning the can or does the POI change slightly every time I take on and off the can even though it’s a direct thread? Thanks

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    And I'd probably clean your can a little more often than 3,000 rounds. Rimfire cans get DIRTY and if you let them go long enough, you won't be able to get them apart.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    And I'd probably clean your can a little more often than 3,000 rounds. Rimfire cans get DIRTY and if you let them go long enough, you won't be able to get them apart.

yeah it wasn’t terribly difficult to take apart but I wouldn’t want to go any more than that. Wet tumble with stainless pins do an amazing job with cleaning the baffles, yes they are stainless too.

i was at least able to hit the 3” plate at 75 yards, but dang it I want to hit those balls!

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I guess I’ll just leave the suppressor on next time I take it out and fine tune scope again. I’ll just transport the rifle in a hard case, that should protect it enough shouldn’t it? Or should I just keep taking it on and off and just deal with the slight POI shift?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Experiment with your combination. You may or may not find a POI change from taking the can on and off.

I would also plan on shooting on paper after a cleaning to confirm sight in.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    If you have clipped baffles, pay attention to the orientation. They should either be all aligned and in the same orientation after cleaning or be randomly aligned covering all 360 degrees.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Next time I’m out I need to sight in with it on, take off and on, shoot and see if any POI shift, take off and on, shoot....rinse and repeat. Do that a few or more times and see how groupings go.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    From a S&P22c my poi changes dramatically when the can heats up vs cold. I'm using a gm22 can. I'd imagine any kind of tinkering with the can like cleaning would change poi on a light round like the 22lr.
    I usually do a quick sight in before every hunt I do if I can.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I have noticed that there is a poi shift when I remove the can and replace it.
    Here's what I found...
    on the can threads, there are 2 spots where the threads engage the threads on the barrel.
    They are 180 degrees from each other.
    Start to thread the can on, when it engages the barrel, reverse and remove it until you feel the threads release.
    Put a mark on the top of the can.
    If you do that every time you mount the can, aligning the mark to the top before you screw it on, you will find that the poi shift is consistent and predictable.
    It does work.

Top Bottom