• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So when it comes to cans and running them, I'm an absolute noob with lots to learn. To start with, My Gen 4 G17 with factory everything other than night sights has always ran everything and been a fine testament to Glock's reputation for reliability.

I wanted to run my Gentech blackslide 45 on the G17 and I had to get the piston for the 9mm thread. I had a Holoson 507C laying around, and I got a steel on a silencerco threaded barrel. I put it all on a brownells cut slide and I like the setup. I didn't have enough faith it'd all work flawlessly so I haven't bothered putting iron sights on the slide yet. Basically, I'm keeping my factory upper as is and I'm playing with a red dot slide for suppressed so I can fine tune the sight. The only part I've been using with both slides/uppers has been the recoil spring.

So every time I've taken it out, the G17 suppressed upper fires a round, but doesn't cycle enough to pick up the next round out of the magazine. Every time I fire I have to manually cycle the action which pulls out an empty, and feeds in a new round. At first I though it was just the low powered CCI aluminum cased 115fmj rounds I was firing. Then I swapped out to 147gr Fed HST's and got the exact same results.

I think I need a different recoil spring with a lower weight, but honestly troubleshooting problems like this are way outside my wheelhouse. That's why I'm here asking guys who've ran across this before. Thanks in advance for any friendly advise.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Do you have an actuator aka booster spring installed?

Sometimes a lower weight spring must be installed. I only use 147gr. JHP Magtechs to cycle my slides confidently. Some rounds don't have enough oomph to open the slide.

swamptick

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Rochester
    I had the same trouble with mine but after about 50-75 rounds it started functioning without out any issues, not sure if that will be the case with yours though!

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Make sure the outside of the piston and the oring in the booster are well lubricated. If there is a ton of friction, it will cause issues. The only issues I have with my Glocks suppressed is that if you hold the trigger when you fire a round, the slide does not return to battery until the trigger is reset/released. This seems to be a common occurrence when shooting glocks suppressed that doesnt show up on similar firearms like a CZ P10C.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Does the aftermarket slide with the red dot work without the can?

Does the factory slide cycle with the can?

when you change several parts at the same time, it makes it hard to narrow down the issue. Trial and error on as few parts as possible. Typically a suppressor will make anything recoil operated, cycle faster due to the increased back pressures.

Have you tried this can and piston setup on another pistol? I suspect the piston/spring is your issue.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    On my glocks especially i do try to feel the trigger rest each time. That could be part of the issue.

The threaded barrel probably hass 200 rds through it now, likely more.

The upper runs without the can, but Im kinda foggy on that.

Ive ran this can on an FNX 45 tactical and had similar issues.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    On my glocks especially i do try to feel the trigger rest each time. That could be part of the issue.

The threaded barrel probably hass 200 rds through it now, likely more.

The upper runs without the can, but Im kinda foggy on that.

Ive ran this can on an FNX 45 tactical and had similar issues.
    If you had similar results on the FNX, it is probably the piston/spring in the suppressor. On a pistol with a barrel that tilts, there has to be a spring on the piston. This allows the can to recoil on the gun. It basically makes the suppressor momentarily weightless, so the barrel can still tilt when the gun cycles. Without this spring, or if it’s installed incorrectly, the gun will not cycle.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    It should look similar to this.

EehTRPz.jpg

ZJRSOJe.jpg

u8xPKp7.jpg

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Looks like it’s all there. I’m stumped. Might call Gemtech and see what the suggest.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Make sure the outside of the piston and the oring in the booster are well lubricated. If there is a ton of friction, it will cause issues. The only issues I have with my Glocks suppressed is that if you hold the trigger when you fire a round, the slide does not return to battery until the trigger is reset/released. This seems to be a common occurrence when shooting glocks suppressed that doesnt show up on similar firearms like a CZ P10C.
    I would also recommend this and it costs you (OP) nothing to try. A quick Google search shows quite a bit of people with that can having issues over the years, with and without the booster spring.

Top Bottom