Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quick Disconnect? Direct Thread?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
    I have recently started looking into a Griffin Bushwacker 46 can. It is a universal can that has a wide variety of calibers it can be used on. If you don't need dedicated cans for multiple rifles, this might be a viable option. I an planning on getting it for 9mm, 10mm, and 45acp pistols as it can be used with one cam lock piston. You would just need the cam lock muzzle device for each pistol. It also comes with a taper mount that works with fixed barrel guns. I have an AR in 45acp and 458 Socom I would like to be able to use it on as well. Total would be around $800-$900 plus the $200 for the stamp and I would have a system that would cover them all.
    I think that kind of system works pretty good for pistols, but not so much for rifles.

Usually on a pistol setup like on a pistol, you can rotate the can in a circle a bit in order to kind of walk the zero back in.

You can't really do that with rifles. It's a good theory that a threaded rifle can would maintain zero after removal and re-installation - I don't personally know how viable that is. For rifle suppressors that will be used for hunting, serious target shooting, and/or defensive purposes - it's probably best to install it, zero it, then leave it on. Unless, of course, you have a way to re-zero all the time.

mms
    Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

most cans with a taper mount design attachment, or direct thread will in fact return to zero every time they are removed and installed.

i have several varieties, yhm qd which as a taper mount in front of the threads, griffin which has a taper behind the threads, and a direct thread Ti can . I have them on some precision guns and they all return to zero after comin on and coming off. easy way to tell is remember where the SN information on the can is and watch how every time you take the can on and off its in the same spot/ orientation.

most of my rifles experience a strait up or down change of POI from the can. not so much left to right.

personally I like the taper design it gives you the best of both worlds. I have just never found a direct thread that you can snug up and be secure like you can a taper mount. even on a bolt action slowish firing you have to check the direct thread can every so often. let alone on a semi auto in my experience you can barely finish a mag with out it backing off some.
    "If you seek peace, Prepare for war"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    most cans with a taper mount design attachment, or direct thread will in fact return to zero every time they are removed and installed.

i have several varieties, yhm qd which as a taper mount in front of the threads, griffin which has a taper behind the threads, and a direct thread Ti can . I have them on some precision guns and they all return to zero after comin on and coming off. easy way to tell is remember where the SN information on the can is and watch how every time you take the can on and off its in the same spot/ orientation.

most of my rifles experience a strait up or down change of POI from the can. not so much left to right.

personally I like the taper design it gives you the best of both worlds. I have just never found a direct thread that you can snug up and be secure like you can a taper mount. even on a bolt action slowish firing you have to check the direct thread can every so often. let alone on a semi auto in my experience you can barely finish a mag with out it backing off some.
    I have a Dead Air Titanium om my 300 Blk and it is a direct thread that we planned on leaving on the gun. I have shot it a few times and has yet to come loose.

I do like the taper design of some of the new Universal Suppressors. If I get one ordered I will have to report on the zero moving from one to the other and with or without the suppressor on pistol or rifle. Most of the time I plan on shooting the rifles suppressed only. Changing from taper adapter to piston will not be super convenient but I donít plan on needing to change from one to the other that quick.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

User Info Menu

I read somewhere that using lithium grease on direct threads will help keep the can from backing off.
    Smile Wait For The Flash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 84VETTE View Post
    I read somewhere that using lithium grease on direct threads will help keep the can from backing off.
    I'm not sure about helping it to not come off during firing, but it'll help you be able to get the can off when you want to. That or graphite.

I was told to use white lithium grease on my pistol suppressor's pistons, too. To help the spring slide better when they get gunky.

Plinker

User Info Menu

IMO it will depend on if your QD would also double as a muzzle brake and whether you would be shooting without the can. without, you will almost need double hearing protection.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I use QD, which doubles as a hybrid muzzle break/flash hider, on all my firearms except for rimfires (direct thread is fine)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2