• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Was wondering if anyone's come across a suppressor cross-reference or comparison table.

I'm the over-analytical type, and will research things to death before making a purchase, and with the multitude of considerations to be made for a suppressor, I'm having a hard time making the call on what I want for my first can.

I'm surprised that I haven't found anything that allows comparison of at least the latest production models out there (for db reduction, length, weight, wipe/no wipe, thread, etc.)

Would there be widespread value in this if I put something like this together? Still can't believe it doesn't exist now!

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    There are spreadsheets that exist, but the problem is that the only standard for performance is a military specification that is 1 meter to the side of the muzzle. These ratings are good if you are using a locked action firearm such as a bolt action hunting rifle. However if you are shooting a semi auto AR, you need to also know the at ear suppression numbers. This has only recently been measured, and not all manufacturers do it. In addition, there are multiple types of measurement equipment and the old equipment is no longer considered accurate. There is one guy Jay who started a new website called Pew Science where he is trying to create a new silencer standard that is slowly catching on. You can see the muzzle numbers for free or pay $10 a month to see the at ear numbers. If you can provide your list of host firearms and your priorities for light weight versus suppression, we can try to guide you towards what you want. You will end up buying more cans in the end anyways :)

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My advice for what it's worth is to buy a quality can from a reputable manufacturer. The time to wait for the stamp and the $200 justify not going the cheapest route for certain on any can/caliber. A brand that has been in business for a long time and that people here have experience with. I think it's ok to buy a can with some versatility in order to shoot multiple calibers through, but don't expect one to serve all of your needs. It's likely impossible that will be the case.

It's also a good idea to try to shoot someone's if you can find one that matches what you'd like to buy. My experience is that many of them are very similar in terms of sound performance and that the ammo makes a lot of difference (I.e. bullet weight, subsonic, etc.) but that overall there are many that are very comparable.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    It seems pew science has tried to put together data based on testing to help outline the performance from their testing. They seem to have quite a bit of table top data and a growing range of tests. For more details or options I like to use Silencershop to compare as they have a table at the bottom of each page that compares several things (such as weight, length, weight, materials, serviceable, etc). I find it helpful.

I agree with Shoots4fun on buying a reputable distributor, especially if you run into the dreaded baffle strike it will save a headache.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    All good points, even if there is a point of measurement difference for db reduction, the list I had in mind could have a colum for db reduction "at the ear" (which may be subjective), and a column for "1m from muzzle". Just making a decision based upon weight, cost and length is daunting enough. If you think about how many 30/9mm cans are out there, you could easily be looking at 10 different options.

I've come to the point of acceptance that I'll be buying more than one, but 1st one will probably be a 9mm can for a P10F that I dont yet own, and later a rifle can.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    Handgun silencers seem like the coolest silencers until you own a couple. In order to make 9mm quiet, you need to shoot subsonic ammo. Silencers also prevent the use of holsters and require RDS or very tall sights if you want to shoot for accuracy. I would get a rimfire can first because they are the closest to Hollywood quiet. I would then get a .30 caliber rifle can, and finally a pistol can. I did mine in the reverse order and quickly realized that pistol cans are best on PCCs and kind of dumb on handguns.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Handgun silencers seem like the coolest silencers until you own a couple. In order to make 9mm quiet, you need to shoot subsonic ammo. Silencers also prevent the use of holsters and require RDS or very tall sights if you want to shoot for accuracy. I would get a rimfire can first because they are the closest to Hollywood quiet. I would then get a .30 caliber rifle can, and finally a pistol can. I did mine in the reverse order and quickly realized that pistol cans are best on PCCs and kind of dumb on handguns.
    I agree with you, except for there being an issue with subsonic 9mm. 147gr 9mm is a good all around rd.

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I agree with you, except for there being an issue with subsonic 9mm. 147gr 9mm is a good all around rd.

Yeah I guess I should have clarified that you need to be ready to spend extra money on range ammo if you want to get the most out if your can. A lot of personal defense ammo such as Federal HST 147 grain are subsonic, but you wouldnt want to spend a full day at the range shooting $1 per round ammo. Some gun stores carry subsonic ammo, but you will be best off buying it in bulk in 6 months when the gun rush dies down (assuming Biden doesnt try to push an AWB before summer).

Top Bottom