• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm not going to be able to describe it very well but there is basically a three toothed ratchet in the trigger group which allows the hammer to fall three times prior to resetting.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Phylodog is correct in his description as it relates to the M16 platform. It is radically different in other firearms, specifically the MP5 line. The burst mechanism in the M16 is a ratcheting cam that indexes itself 3 times when the trigger is pulled. The down side to this setup is that if you let off the trigger after 1 or 2 rounds, then the next trigger pull will net you only 2 or 1 rounds, or whatever adds up to 3. The H&K version nets 3 rounds with each trigger pull regardless of how long you hold it down.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was wondering this myself and I figured it had something to do with a three toothed gear/cam.

As for the HK is it completely different or does the cam just reset itself when the trigger released?

I have shot a few 2 round burst guns and I really like the "instant doubletap" effect. I can see how that would be useful for an entry gun (it was an FBI issue MP5/10 and UMP.45 that had them) where you want to control your fire but make sure what you hit goes down.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    You know, if this is all there is to it, it should be pretty easy to modify an SKS sear to go into a two or three round burst... with just a file.

I'm not advocating breaking the law at all, I'm just sayin'...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You know, if this is all there is to it, it should be pretty easy to modify an SKS sear to go into a two or three round burst... with just a file.

Make sure you don't go full "Josh Smith-style" and post full details with color pictures! :D

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I heard a well placed playing card and a stick of chewing gum was enough to go full auto on an ak or sks... Never saw it but that's what I heard. friend of a friend (heard a rumor)had a Thompson tommy gun that was improperly decommisioned by band sawing the rcvr instead of torch cutting. Took him some fiddlin but I heard that he knew your mama when she used to rocknroll. Three burst seems so much more elegant. Thanks for explaining it and thanks for the original post. I was too ashamed to ask it.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    My opinion of burst is that it is not worth it. I could dump a 30 round mag almost as quick as with burst, yes my finger hurt but the shots were a little more accurate. I feel that using burst throws your shots high as your rifle hasn't come back down from the recoil of the first shot by the time the second goes of, and so on for the third. And like stated before, if you let off the trigger early you may only get a two r one shotter the next time. Stick to semi auto and make well placed shots it will be much more effective.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    My opinion of burst is that it is not worth it. I could dump a 30 round mag almost as quick as with burst, yes my finger hurt but the shots were a little more accurate. I feel that using burst throws your shots high as your rifle hasn't come back down from the recoil of the first shot by the time the second goes of, and so on for the third. And like stated before, if you let off the trigger early you may only get a two r one shotter the next time. Stick to semi auto and make well placed shots it will be much more effective.

Aim low lol. ;) :ar15:

In a video game I play called Americas Army, we do this all the time, instead of aiming center mass, aim just below the belt and the recoil does the rest. Usually end up with a headshot if the target isn't moving.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    All you need is a file to make an AK go full auto...... I keep a file under my recoil pad just in case.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Aim low lol. ;) :ar15:

In a video game I play called Americas Army, we do this all the time, instead of aiming center mass, aim just below the belt and the recoil does the rest. Usually end up with a headshot if the target isn't moving.

Save two shots and just put one through the grape. Or do a proper three shot placement Two the chest and one to the head. You can never go wrong with that!

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    Save two shots and just put one through the grape. Or do a proper three shot placement Two the chest and one to the head. You can never go wrong with that!

This is true, but in the video game world we have to compensate for lag lol. Accuracy with quantity. :D

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    My opinion of burst is that it is not worth it. I could dump a 30 round mag almost as quick as with burst, yes my finger hurt but the shots were a little more accurate. I feel that using burst throws your shots high as your rifle hasn't come back down from the recoil of the first shot by the time the second goes of, and so on for the third. A

If you have to use it, start firing low to the left of target.

Top Bottom