• Status
    Not open for further replies.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    A friend and i were recently at a local gun shop to purchase an Ar15 and were unsuccesfull. i noticed the selector switch was a 3 possition style much to my suprise. So immediatly we broke it down jumped on the internet to olypic arms web site and found that it had a fully automatic bolt carrier and all the triger group was not "shaved" it was machined from the factory fully automatic and the sales man said that it had been a police trade in. Seeng how a class 3 firearm without a licence is a HUGE no no i want to know if it can be purchased legally even if the gun shop doesnt know what they have how can i find info on this subject.

Last edited:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    You need to return it to the dealer IMMEDIATELY!

I also suggest you ask the mods to delete this tread.

Although it's the stuff of dreams for most gun enthusiasts, full auto weapons are serious business with the ATF.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    i do not have the gun it is still at the shop hence my question on the legallity of it i dont want to own it unless i can sell it. 223s take to long to reload on my rock chucker but if it were legal to own then i could buy it and make almost a 1000 percent profit on the purchase i just do not know were i can figure it out.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    i do not have the gun it is still at the shop hence my question on the legallity of it i dont want to own it unless i can sell it. 223s take to long to reload on my rock chucker but if it were legal to own then i could buy it and make almost a 1000 percent profit on the purchase i just do not know were i can figure it out.
    Serial number?

I highly doubt it is transferable, but if it is, the serial number should tell the truth.

From Olympic Arms website: What does my serial number mean?
    SN Range: 1000 to 8845
    1st Date: 03/14/79
    End Date: 06/04/82
    Special Notes: Cut from aluminum bar stock. Most were made for other manufacturers such as Palmetto Armory.

If it doesn't fall in that range, run far far away.

Does it have an auto-sear in it? Or just M16 bolt carrier and other parts? If its an AR15 lower receiver, with no auto-sear, it could've just had a RDIAS in it and the person that removed it didn't remove the M16 FCG parts. If that is the case, you can remove the M16 FCG parts and there is nothing wrong. The M16 bolt carrier is just fine, that along isn't considered a part to make it fire FA.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    I suggest you read up on the NFA FAQ

As described, it doesn't sound legal.

If the rifle has been registered with the BATF before 1986, then yes you could legally own it... After submitting a form 4 application for transfer with $200 for the tax stamp. You will also need to submit a cirtificate of citizenship, be fingerprinted, and have the form 4 signed by the local police chief or sheriff.... When all is approved, you may bring it home.
    (someone correct me if I'm wrong here)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Odd.....

2irukv5jpg.gif

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I feel dirty just from reading this thread...
    Makes my this is a set up alarms go to full tilt... Now I am paranoid over her in Indain Country, Hope the ATF doesn't know where I am...

Raoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    The presence of a Auto or burst marking, or even the ability of the selector to move to that position. Additionally, the full auto BCG and trigger do not make it Class three. Only the presence of a sear of some kind (or the ability to install one, i.e. the presence of a sear pin hole) make it class three.

Your post is short on details as to what you actually saw.

Purchasing a Class 3 weapon without a tax stamp, with or without the your's or the seller's knowledge, and whether or not it is registered is illegal. If a gun shop is unknowingly in the possession of a class 3 weapon, I would certainly never set foot in their doorway again, let alone buy anything from them. Very, very stupid (if that is, in fact the case)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I suggest you read up on the NFA FAQ

As described, it doesn't sound legal.

If the rifle has been registered with the BATF before 1986, then yes you could legally own it... After submitting a form 4 application for transfer with $200 for the tax stamp. You will also need to submit a cirtificate of citizenship, be fingerprinted, and have the form 4 signed by the local police chief or sheriff.... When all is approved, you may bring it home.
    (someone correct me if I'm wrong here)
    There is always the trust/llc route, which avoids photos, fingerprints, and CLEO signatures, but costs a little more.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I hope for the OPs sake the weapon is transferable, is not in the OPs possession, and the dealer doesn't know what he has.

21j0hli.gif

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I feel dirty just from reading this thread...
    Makes my this is a set up alarms go to full tilt... Now I am paranoid over her in Indain Country, Hope the ATF doesn't know where I am...

So long as you don't have automatic weapons, you should be fine.

Oh, wait... oh man, yer screwed.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Well I would say after this thread you will be lucky to go back to that dealer and find it, I think by now there is about 1000 people out scouring the gun shops looking for said gun!!! :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom