• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    My first venture into the NFA forum, but I wondered for what reasons people buy suppressors. I understand the stamp cost, but how much does the can itself cost on average?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My .22LR can cost $250, plus the $200 for the stamp. I bought it because it's extremely fun to shoot.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    .22 cans can be had for less than $200. The average 9mm can is ~$500-800. Centerfire rifle cans can be up to $1500 or more.

There are about a thousand reasons for buying a suppressor, but for me it's the cool factor. I am a gadget nut and I think that suppressors are very cool gadgets. Quiet shooting is great fun.

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Less disturbing for people around you.
    Prevents hearing loss.
    Less intimidating for new shooters.
    Nice for indoor ranges.
    Suppressor prevents some very small levels of lead in the air from exiting with gases.

In addition to the $200 tax stamp, they can range from around $250 for a 22lr can up to $2,000+ for high end .338 lapua, .480, 50 BMG, and other custom cans.

I would say most quality handgun suppressors are in the $500-$900 range for 9mm, 45ACP, and 40 S&W. But these are just general figures.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    So other than the coolness factor, what are a few more of the other thousands of reasons?

The hearing loss is one I didn't think of, but very practical.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    My .22 can lets me shoot plink/varmints without pissing off the neighbors and getting the cops called on me.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Does the suppressor size count towards the barrel length of a rifle?

ie: if I wanted to put one on my GSG-5, could I replace the barrel shroud that is on it, cut the barrel, and utilize the suppressor to lengthen it back to 16 inches?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Helpful for teaching new shooters by eliminating the "scary" report.
    Less noise pollution
    Discreet pest control
    Elimination of needed hearing protection
    Recoil reduction

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

ie: if I wanted to put one on my GSG-5, could I replace the barrel shroud that is on it, cut the barrel, and utilize the suppressor to lengthen it back to 16 inches?

Yes, but you'd have to weld it to the barrel

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You could SBR the gun, that would eliminate the need to weld the can to the barrel. You couldn't legally weld a take-apart can to the barrel to get it to the legal length if the suppressor tube was removable.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Just something I am curious about. It would be dumb to spend $500 for a part for a $500 gun.

I guess my next question would be is a suppressor universal and able to interchange between calibers, or do you need specific cans for specific calibers? Can you use the same suppressor on a pistol as you can on a rifle?

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Gemtech Products

That will give you a good idea of the pricing on some cans. Different cans are designed for different calibers, but you can swap your can between several hosts of the same caliber. For example if you have a Ruger 10/22 with a threaded barrel, and a Walther P22 with the same threads, you could use your suppressor on either since both have the same threading and shoot the same caliber (.22).

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I guess my next question would be is a suppressor universal and able to interchange between calibers, or do you need specific cans for specific calibers?

Generally it's a specific can for a specific caliber. Although some cans can work with their designated caliber and some smaller calibers (such as .223 through a .308 can, 9mm through a .45 can, or .22LR through a .223 can), you'll lose some performance, and it might void the mfr's warranty.

Can you use the same suppressor on a pistol as you can on a rifle?

In some cases, yes. I use the same .22 suppressor on my Ruger 22/45 and 10/22 (same thread pattern) and the same 9mm suppressor on my Glock 17, 9mm AR and M-11/9 SMG (through the use of interchangeable adapters).

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    People buy them for the same reason people buy condoms; protection.

I've heard apocryphal stories of those outside of Uncle Sugar's domain who are legally allowed to own suppressors and it was considered rude to not use them where legal.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Only if it's welded to it.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    You could SBR the gun, that would eliminate the need to weld the can to the barrel. You couldn't legally weld a take-apart can to the barrel to get it to the legal length if the suppressor tube was removable.

Unless it was a monocore can, as you'd still have the core hanging off the end of the barrel.

rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    One bad thing about it though is you can't hunt with them in the States like you can in some countrys . And besides you can't really have a REAL evil black GUN with out having a working can on it . Then you all set too make the gun-haters cry . ZOMG IS THAT LEGAL ? WHY IS IT LEGAL ? EVIL EVIL.... :n00b:

Top Bottom